Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 08:54 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times

Advertisements

Allianz analyzed more than 1.6 million flight itineraries between five and eight days in length for travel booked between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day

For Summer 2023

1 Orlando
2 Seattle
3 Honolulu
4 Boston
5 Kahului, Maui
6 NYC
7 LA
8 Las Vegas
9 Miami
10 Portland OR

https://www.allianzworldwidepartners...tinations.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 09:04 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Surprised that DC does not come upon in the top ten. Maybe most of its summertime visitors come by car or rail?
Surprised that San Francisco isn't on the list, but maybe it's had too much bad national press recently to attract as many tourists.
Also surprised that Seattle and Portland are on this list. Both are interesting cities, with lots of things to do and see. But I never thought of them as summer vacation destinations for most people.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:51 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Also surprised that Seattle and Portland are on this list. Both are interesting cities, with lots of things to do and see. But I never thought of them as summer vacation destinations for most people.
Summer in Seattle is pretty epic. 75-80F and sunny with blue skies, almost no rain, late sunsets, very few bugs and not muggy. Plus 3 national parks nearby. The cruise ship industry in Seattle gets about 700,000 people in the summer a year and is the busiest on the West Coast. So it's not surprising.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:57 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times
Quote:
I’m not surprised at all. The majority of people that visit those cities visit between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The PNW in the summer time is fantastic.

SF not being in the top 10 was surprising to me too.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:00 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,952,089 times
IMO half of these destinations I'd save for the rest of the year. where you can really take advantage of the more equable climate if you don't have kids in tow. I just got back from Florida last week, including part of a stay at Disney World, and crowds were very manageable, although big enough at more popular rides in the theme parks where the Genie Pass was a worthwhile upgrade, especially since I got a late start at the parks. The weather was very similar to July's in the mid-Atlantic, hot but tolerable with a nice seabreeze at the coast. Typhoon Lagoon had short waits for most of the slides, even though it was 90 degrees with no chance of storms in the forecast. I'd also say no to Vegas summertime visits, unless using it as a base camp for cooler nearby destinations like Zion, Mt. Charleston, or the Grand Canyon. Sure, much of the action is focused indoors in megaresorts, but I'd wish there was an underground city to walk between them.

DC's busiest season is the spring/early summer, especially on weekends but crowds fizzle out around the 4th of July as the beaches really become the hotspots to escape the mugginess.

Chicago is another notable omission on this list, which hopefully doesn't speak for the relative decline in the city's importance as seen in other recent threads. There was plenty of traffic on the expressways in town when I drove past it last summer around midday Sunday, and it provides great festivals and fun.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:10 AM

730 posts, read 814,937 times
VERY misleading title as this is only for those who fly somewhere and spend a minimum of 5 days at their destination and who booked online travel packages with sites offering Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance. That's not a very large sample. 1.6 million travelers out of a country of 330 million? In all my travels I have never in my life booked a travel package and have never even heard of Allianz Global Assistance, and I'm sure there are many seasoned travelers who are similar.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:14 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
VERY misleading title as this is only for those who fly somewhere and spend a minimum of 5 days at their destination and who booked online travel packages with sites offering Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance. That's not a very large sample. 1.6 million travelers out of a country of 330 million? In all my travels I have never in my life booked a travel package and have never even heard of Allianz Global Assistance, and I'm sure there are many seasoned travelers who are similar.
Allianz is a very popular travel insurance company. Hard to avoid seeing advertisements and/or options for them when I book my tickets on American Airlines website (flights only or travel packages)…but I otherwise see your point.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:26 AM

730 posts, read 814,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Allianz is a very popular travel insurance company. Hard to avoid seeing advertisements and/or options for them when I book my tickets on American Airlines website (flights only or travel packages)…but I otherwise see your point.
I've never bought travel insurance since it's automatically covered with my credit card so I guess I just never noticed the Allianz name. That and I use my frequent flyer miles for many of my DL purchases. Anyway, it's still a ridiculously small sampling of travelers when the vast majority of summer vacation families tend to drive to their destinations (the "Great American Roadtrip") or, if they fly, just buy airline tickets and not entire packages. Anyway, thanks for the note.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:29 AM

372 posts, read 203,601 times
Kind of surprised to see Portland on the list. I think it will be eye-opening, for those who choose to go there. As far as Chicago....it is a great city in the summer. People can't help but mention a decline, but one thing to remember, if trying to get in a dig while mentioning "decline", is that Chicago is still an Alpha city. It really still has a whole lot of importance, people, who like to think otherwise, I guess. Chicago's summer festivals are amazing, as are Milwaukee's, just a little ways up the coast.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:25 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I'd flip Miami, Orlando, Vegas, Honolulu, and Maui to other seasons when we're shivering up north. Why would I fly to Miami or Orlando in July where it's oppressively hot and humid when it's the best time of year to be outside with so much to do up north?

Quote:
Surprised that San Francisco isn't on the list, but maybe it's had too much bad national press recently to attract as many tourists.
Brrr... who was it that said the coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco? The summer fog off the cold Pacific is not ideal in mid summer. I've always heard October is the sweet spot.

Quote:
Well that's because summer is the best time to be in Seattle. For a city that has a reputation for rain and clouds, summer has lots of clear sunny days and comfortable weather, not to mention the gorgeous mountain views are out almost every day. Summer is Seattle is pretty fantastic.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-21-2023 at 07:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City