Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Virginia - more in common with NJ or GA?
New Jersey 34 27.87%
Georgia 88 72.13%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 04:56 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
This is a very good and interesting thread. I chose GA because NOVA and the Northern Atlanta Suburbs feel nearly identical. Also, both states have an abundance of rural areas outside of its population centers. The rural areas are southern in nature. The coastal areas of both states are very historic. The traditional foods are similar in Virginia and Georgia.
Disagree. NOVA feels like NJ to me

Old 06-22-2023, 04:57 AM

I’ve always got NJ vibes going to NOVA which makes this thread creation pretty coincidental.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:03 AM

Another strong characteristic that VA shares with NJ is that both states are considered the more wealthy and educated (I believe VA is one of them) states. Alexandria and Arlington are to DC is somewhat like Jersey City, Hoboken and the rest of Northern NJ is to NYC.

Also Nova is host of many well reputable companies just like Jersey City and Hoboken are because they sit across NYC.

Now as far as culture nova seems bland while Northern NJ in many parts has very identical culture traits to nyc. But northern NJ def gets bland once you go to the parts that are more past the GW bridge or past the oranges going east.

As far as Georgia goes the rest of the state does feel more like GA and I don’t get ATL vibes anywhere in VA.

Oh and last but not least in both Northern NJ suburbs (except Newark and JC) and Northern VA suburbs you hear a lot of well intellectual accents from peoples mouths compared to a local accent.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:49 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Another strong characteristic that VA shares with NJ is that both states are considered the more wealthy and educated (I believe VA is one of them) states. Alexandria and Arlington are to DC is somewhat like Jersey City, Hoboken and the rest of Northern NJ is to NYC.

Also Nova is host of many well reputable companies just like Jersey City and Hoboken are because they sit across NYC.

Now as far as culture nova seems bland while Northern NJ in many parts has very identical culture traits to nyc. But northern NJ def gets bland once you go to the parts that are more past the GW bridge or past the oranges going east.

As far as Georgia goes the rest of the state does feel more like GA and I don’t get ATL vibes anywhere in VA.

Oh and last but not least in both Northern NJ suburbs (except Newark and JC) and Northern VA suburbs you hear a lot of well intellectual accents from peoples mouths compared to a local accent.
The per capita for each state is:

NJ: 83K
VA: 77K
GA: 71K

GA has made up ground on VA over the past decade. In fact, Texas ranks #1 in the south per capita with VA and GA rounding out the top 3.

COL implied: I can see why GA is growing nearly 10x the rate of VA.

Poverty Rates:
NJ: 9%
VA 10%
GA 13%
Based on demographics, these numbers don't surprise me.

Now for the NOVA and Northern Atlanta comparison. I work on Fort Belvoir and what part of NOVA exactly feels like you're in Philly or NYC? Nothing in the DC area gives me a NE vibe.

For sake of comparison and growing up in the Atlanta area:

Lorton=Acworth
Woodbridge=Kennesaw
Springfield=Smyrna
Fredericksburg=Gainesville
Tyson's Corner=Cumberland or maybe Buckhead

While these cities aren't totally identical, I've yet to see any major difference between them. These areas are also very wooded and suburbia...

Old 06-22-2023, 08:11 AM

154 posts, read 96,268 times
Quote:

The snobbery from this person is always elevated. “Intellectual Accents”, really? So, if someone does not possess an accent that you deem is intellectual, what do you think of them? Do you think they are dumb, ignorant, etc? I am so curious to hear your reply. And be honest, don’t sugar coat it. I want to understand why you are so harsh on southern accents.

FYI, an accent does not determine a person’s IQ. And it is sad that this had to be said to someone who thinks their accent makes them smarter.

Politically, I see VA closer to GA than NJ. GA is starting to trend towards VA’s voting patterns. We shall see how 2024 turns out.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:28 AM

172 posts, read 119,313 times
We're not anything like NJ.

Though the metro regions of VA probably have more NJ transplants than GA transplants, so there is that.

If you want to pick a bonafide northern state that we're closest to, it would be probably be like a Pennsylvania or Ohio. I would still pick Georgia over those states due to our entrenched culture but at least the comparison to those would be more apt.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:12 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
Quote:
Disagree. NOVA feels like NJ to me
Yep, same. I do get the Atlanta (especially North Atlanta) comparisons to NoVa but it felt slower paced than NoVa IMO. Also, it’s still a bit country and rural especially as you get more away from Atlanta. NoVa is pretty built up… even a far out county like Prince William County is having issues building schools on the eastern side of the county because there’s just not a lot of land available.

In terms of wealth, cost of living, politics, attitude, education, incomes, vibe, etc. NoVa definitely feels more like NJ but that’s jmo I know folks on here feel differently.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:20 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yep, same. I do get the Atlanta (especially North Atlanta) comparisons to NoVa but it felt slower paced than NoVa IMO. Also, it’s still a bit country and rural especially as you get more away from Atlanta. NoVa is pretty built up… even a far out county like Prince William County is having issues building schools on the eastern side of the county because there’s just not a lot of land available.

In terms of wealth, cost of living, politics, attitude, education, incomes, vibe, etc. NoVa definitely feels more like NJ but that’s jmo I know folks on here feel differently.
Once you pass Woodbridge on 95 south, NOVA becomes country and rural as well. Speaking of Maryland, Charles County (15 miles from DC) does, as well. Charles County is very rural, I live here.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:28 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Once you pass Woodbridge on 95 south, NOVA becomes country and rural as well. Speaking of Maryland, Charles County (15 miles from DC) does, as well. Charles County is very rural, I live here.
Anything beyond Woodbridge/Dumfries isn’t NoVa though. Stafford likes to say they are these days but most people here will tell you anything beyond Woodbridge/Dumfries is no longer NoVa.

Old 06-22-2023, 12:27 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Culturally, most of NoVa is not Southern in any discernible way. Given NoVa is a suburban region of D.C. - and the more Southern, less Northeastern section of the metro - that's fairly remarkable. I imagine that in spite of Atlanta's large transplant influx and the resulting social and political shift there's still sections of ATL suburbia that are far more traditionally Southern in outlook.

In terms of development form, NoVa doesn't really have a Newark or Jersey City or the other adjacent very urban places. So it is going to look a lot less dense and less urban than Northern New Jersey within 10 miles of NYC. D.C. is no New York and there's just a lot more people in the tri-state area than in the DMV.

So perhaps in terms of the people NoVa feels more like NJ but in terms of the way it's developed it's closer to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City