Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:48 PM

35 posts, read 59,067 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I'm looking for a bit of insight for what city may best fit myself and my wifes wants/needs. We're having trouble deciding where to relocate in the aforementioned choices in the title.

Let me tell you a bit about us. We're both young (25), outdoors lovers. Hiking, biking, off roading in our Jeep with our dog. Currently we reside in New Jersey, but we've about had it with the weather here (although it's been a mild winter), the people, and general overall cost of living here! Currently she has just finished schooling to become a pastry chef/choclatier, and I work from home.

Now, a bit about what we're looking for. Obviously a warmer climate is one of our desires. Clearly both places have that. We're a bit concerned about the humidity in the Austin area though, and hear conflicting insight on how bad it gets during the summer. Anymore insight on this would be great? We've visited the Phoenix area two summers ago and found the heat to tolerable to us because of the lower humidity. We don't want to live in the cities of Austin or Phoenix themselves, but in a near by suburb anywhere from 15-30 minutes outside of town. Distance to work won't be a concern for me since I work from home. As for my wife, she's looking to open a pastry/bakery shop. Any thoughts on which area this may be more successful in? Particularly in Scottsdale or Cedar Park. We both fall in the middle of road politically, so not sure in this has any bearing on either location? I know Phoenix and Austin traffic can be terrible, but when we were in Az. the traffic didn't seem bad compared to NJ. I hear Austin is terrible in that regard from what I've read! Of course we also want to live in a safe area, and our budget on a home is up to 210K...Moreso looking to spend between 160-190k though.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I certainly appreciated everyone's thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 12:21 PM

45 posts, read 69,522 times
Hope you'd be willing to listen to an outsider's opinion on this. I find that a lot of homers on this forum can give the wrong impression about a place.

I've spent considerable amounts of time over the years in both areas you're thinking about, especially over the last six months.

The thing about Austin's suburbs is that they are not terribly interesting. Austin is a fantastic city and if you go west of Austin into the hill country to places like Westlake, ect you'll find some very beautiful homes and areas. Round Rock, and especially Cedar Park, are not very interesting places at all in my opinion. For as great as Austin is within it's own city limits, it's burbs are some of the least interesting one's you'll find anywhere. Great places to live and raise a family.

Scottsdale & Tempe are probably the two most distinct burbs in the Phoenix metro for their own reasons. Scottsdale is very upscale and Tempe has more of that hip, college town vibe. Tempe is a little more urban and is somewhat more isolated from the outdoor activities the desert offers, while many neighborhoods in N Scottsdale and outside the 101 often run right up to the mountains. There are also some great hiking trails and parks to be found in Scottsdale as well.

Both places are HOT in the summer. Austin is historically a bit cooler than Phoenix, but 100 degree days in an Austin summer are not uncommon. Last year I think Austin set some records for consecutive 100+ degree days. Phoenix is defitely hotter though. Knowing where you're coming from, both will feel like a furnace in the summer. Phoenix wins on the winter weather front though, just much more consistent than Austin. Both will be a dramatic improvement on that front though.

As for your wife starting a business...she could probably do well in all of these places, though probably a bit better in Scottsdale or Tempe. As much as Austin embraces it's local businesses it's suburbs are dominated by chains. If she wants to set up shop in one of Austin's trendy areas though I'd say that would trump just about anywhere as far as potential goes. But don't believe what many say about the Phoenix area when it comes to them having too many chains and not enough local businesses. That's simply hogwash.

Outdoor activities...the Phoenix metro probably wins by a nose here only because it's surrounded by mountains and the hiking there is spectacular. Austin has a lot to offer here too.

Traffic...Phoenix wins this one in a landslide. For a city of Austin's size it's road system is woefully underbuilt. Years of denial and mistakes by Austin's city planners has really caused a mess down there. I'm always shocked by how bad traffic is in that city. Phoenix on the other hand has probably overbuilt their roads and they move cars more efficiently than just about any other city in the country.

Your housing budget should give you options in either city. Scottsdale and Tempe will have a large selection of homes that were either foreclosed on or in short sale so you could do very well for your dollar. Cedar Park and Round Rock will both have quite a bit available in your price range, moreso in Cedar Park though. The homes will tend to be older in Cedar Park than Round Rock, at least that's what I've seen.

Sorry, if you thought your post was long winded, this is a ridiculous post but I wanted to give as much info as I could. I love both places equally for different reasons. If this were strictly a City of Phoenix vs City of Austin comparison, I'd go with Austin in a heartbeat. It's a fantastic city. But since we're comparing the burbs, Scottsdale and Tempe beat Cedar Park and Round rock pretty easily.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Thomas, thanks so much for all the GREAT information and wonderful insight regarding both areas! It's more helpful than you can imagine. I actually enjoy the fact that this is an outsiders opinion because locals tend to of course be more bias to their city.

I should have mentioned in my OP that we do eventually plan on starting a family within 5 years or so when we've "set our roots down" somewhere. This is one of the reasons we're considering the outer suburbs of both Phoenix and Austin. That and we're not much into the urban hustle and bustle.

Truly I feel I'm leaning more toward the Phoenix suburbs rather than Austin, and from what you've described it sounds more my speed. Cedar Park and Round Rock seem like they can rather bland from what you've said? Scottsdale and Tempe seem to offer more amenities, would that be fair to say? I've yet to visit the Austin and outer lying areas personally.

About how far from hiking would you say Tempe is? You say it's a bit more urban, but we prefer more of the "desert" feel without grass and lots of pavement. I'm sure it's dependant on what part of Tempe in particular. Would Chandler, Gilbert, and Mesa be other suburban areas to consider or do they offer a little less?

I'm happy to hear that the type of business my wife is looking into opening sounds like it'd have a chance to be successful if the area. Probably moreso in Tempe I'd think?

We definitely want to get away from the traffic nightmare that is New Jersey! When we were there traffic seemed next to nothing and very free flowing!

From looking at home listings in Tempe, Scottsdale, Cedar Park, and Round Rock it certainly seems there's more than plenty within my budget which is great. 210k where I'm from barely got us anything. It's true that Northern Scottsdale tends to get pricier, true?

I truly appreciated the greatly informative post, it was just what we were looking for!

Greg.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,050 times
Austin is a nice enough place. I like Austin the most in the south, Texas should be proud to have it as a city and capital imo

Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Austin is a nice enough place. I like Austin the most in the south, Texas should be proud to have it as a city and capital imo
From everything I read everyone for the most part seems very proud to call Austin home. It seems like there is a sea of culture there.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomb23 View Post
Thomas, thanks so much for all the GREAT information and wonderful insight regarding both areas! It's more helpful than you can imagine. I actually enjoy the fact that this is an outsiders opinion because locals tend to of course be more bias to their city.

I should have mentioned in my OP that we do eventually plan on starting a family within 5 years or so when we've "set our roots down" somewhere. This is one of the reasons we're considering the outer suburbs of both Phoenix and Austin. That and we're not much into the urban hustle and bustle.

Truly I feel I'm leaning more toward the Phoenix suburbs rather than Austin, and from what you've described it sounds more my speed. Cedar Park and Round Rock seem like they can rather bland from what you've said? Scottsdale and Tempe seem to offer more amenities, would that be fair to say? I've yet to visit the Austin and outer lying areas personally.

About how far from hiking would you say Tempe is? You say it's a bit more urban, but we prefer more of the "desert" feel without grass and lots of pavement. I'm sure it's dependant on what part of Tempe in particular. Would Chandler, Gilbert, and Mesa be other suburban areas to consider or do they offer a little less?

I'm happy to hear that the type of business my wife is looking into opening sounds like it'd have a chance to be successful if the area. Probably moreso in Tempe I'd think?

We definitely want to get away from the traffic nightmare that is New Jersey! When we were there traffic seemed next to nothing and very free flowing!

From looking at home listings in Tempe, Scottsdale, Cedar Park, and Round Rock it certainly seems there's more than plenty within my budget which is great. 210k where I'm from barely got us anything. It's true that Northern Scottsdale tends to get pricier, true?

I truly appreciated the greatly informative post, it was just what we were looking for!

Greg.
No problem, glad you found that info to be helpful!

To answer your questions...yes, Scottsdale and Tempe will offer more ammenties than the Austin suburbs. The thing to understand about the Phoenix burbs is that they are HUGE, both geographically and population-wise. South Scottsdale, Old Town Scottsdale and North Scottsdale feel like three completely different places, each with their own good points I might add. This is not to say that Round Rock and Cedar Park wouldn't have everything you need on a daily basis, because they do. But both Scottsdale and Tempe have lots more to offer.

As far as Tempe's location goes, it's more central so it's a bit more detached from the wild desert environment but there are options close by as well. South Mountain Park is very close by (though you'll have to fight that Ahwatukee traffic to get to it) and it's huge and will give you lots of great hiking options, along with some great vistas of the entire valley. But you'd have to head out a bit to get to what I think you're really looking for.

With Scottsdale, the further north and east you go the more desert-like it becomes. South Scottsdale has more of an East Valley feel and Old Town Scottsdale is dense enough that you'd have no idea you were in the desert aside from the plants you'll see and the mountains in the distance. But as you go north and get closer to the mountains and away from the central part of the valley the desert environment really takes over. So I'd say if you can be north or east of the 101 then you'll really be out in the desert. For houses, check out McDowell Mountain Ranch. That's a neighborhood I would look in first if I were moving out that way. Good schools, right by the mountains and not too inconvenient from the rest of Scottsdale. Plus Sunrise Trail in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve is right nearby and I love that trail for early morning hikes.

I really love Gilbert as well, and Chandler is nice too, but I think for what you're looking for Scottsdale and Tempe would be a better fit. Being in the East Valley they're definitely greener, so it would be less of a shock to your system coming from NJ as far as the natural setting goes but it sounds like you're looking for something very different. Gilbert has a really awesome trifecta of restaurants all owned by the same guy that are well worth the drive. Do breakfast at Joe's Farm Grill, lunch at Joe's Real BBQ and dinner at Liberty Market. Actually Joe's Real BBQ is our first stop after we pick up the rental car at the airport when we're out there!

I think you're wife's business would do well in either place, maybe a bit better in Tempe but if she can find a good location in Scottsdale and build a following then the sky is really the limit.

For housing, yes, the further north in Scottsdale you go the pricier it becomes. Something like DC Ranch is probably not in either of our budgets!

Let me know if you have any other questions. And locals, feel free to correct anything wrong I may have thrown out there.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
From everything I read everyone for the most part seems very proud to call Austin home. It seems like there is a sea of culture there.
Austin is truly an awesome place, but being 30 and happily married for several years now I already feel a little bit too old for the place. But it's one hell of a good time!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
I lived in Austin for 8yrs(Well, Round Rock actually). Cooool place. Way out West but not OUT West, if you know what I mean.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
Hey everyone! I'm looking for a bit of insight for what city may best fit myself and my wifes wants/needs. We're having trouble deciding where to relocate in the aforementioned choices in the title.

Let me tell you a bit about us. We're both young (25), outdoors lovers. Hiking, biking, off roading in our Jeep with our dog. Currently we reside in New Jersey, but we've about had it with the weather here (although it's been a mild winter), the people, and general overall cost of living here! Currently she has just finished schooling to become a pastry chef/choclatier, and I work from home.

Now, a bit about what we're looking for. Obviously a warmer climate is one of our desires. Clearly both places have that. We're a bit concerned about the humidity in the Austin area though, and hear conflicting insight on how bad it gets during the summer. Anymore insight on this would be great? We've visited the Phoenix area two summers ago and found the heat to tolerable to us because of the lower humidity. We don't want to live in the cities of Austin or Phoenix themselves, but in a near by suburb anywhere from 15-30 minutes outside of town. Distance to work won't be a concern for me since I work from home. As for my wife, she's looking to open a pastry/bakery shop. Any thoughts on which area this may be more successful in? Particularly in Scottsdale or Cedar Park. We both fall in the middle of road politically, so not sure in this has any bearing on either location? I know Phoenix and Austin traffic can be terrible, but when we were in Az. the traffic didn't seem bad compared to NJ. I hear Austin is terrible in that regard from what I've read! Of course we also want to live in a safe area, and our budget on a home is up to 210K...Moreso looking to spend between 160-190k though.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I certainly appreciated everyone's thoughts. Thanks!
Make a post in the Phoenix forum if you want some more information.

I've been to Austin (never lived) but it's certainly a very neat place. However comparing Austin to Phoenix isn't a valid comparison simply because of the size difference. Austin is very much more concentrated than Phoenix than is spread out EVERYWHERE.

I live in Scottsdale and am VERY happy to call it home! BUT for $200K...you won't find anything more than a condo and not a nice one at that. $200K in Tempe will get you much further, probably a small single-family home.

I truly enjoy living in the Valley and it's full of transplants so you never feel "out of place". I've found most people to be quite friendly as many are originally from the Midwest who have relocated to get away from the harsh winters.

Phoenix is hot in the summer but it isn't unbearable. The old saying is overused but it truly IS dry heat. If you drink tons of water, you'll be good. Humidity, to me, is much more difficult to bear because it FOLLOWS you into your home, office, etc whereas dry heat can be overcome by a strong air conditioner.

Ever been driving a car in a hot and humid area and you literally have to PEEL yourself off the leather seats? You don't have that in Phoenix.

Winter here is WONDERFUL, absolutely WONDERFUL. Right now it's a bit chilly out but supposed to get into the mid 60's for the rest of the weekend. Can't beat it.

If you want more info, you can message me and I'll try to answer any questions.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas46032 View Post
No problem, glad you found that info to be helpful!

To answer your questions...yes, Scottsdale and Tempe will offer more ammenties than the Austin suburbs. The thing to understand about the Phoenix burbs is that they are HUGE, both geographically and population-wise. South Scottsdale, Old Town Scottsdale and North Scottsdale feel like three completely different places, each with their own good points I might add. This is not to say that Round Rock and Cedar Park wouldn't have everything you need on a daily basis, because they do. But both Scottsdale and Tempe have lots more to offer.

As far as Tempe's location goes, it's more central so it's a bit more detached from the wild desert environment but there are options close by as well. South Mountain Park is very close by (though you'll have to fight that Ahwatukee traffic to get to it) and it's huge and will give you lots of great hiking options, along with some great vistas of the entire valley. But you'd have to head out a bit to get to what I think you're really looking for.

With Scottsdale, the further north and east you go the more desert-like it becomes. South Scottsdale has more of an East Valley feel and Old Town Scottsdale is dense enough that you'd have no idea you were in the desert aside from the plants you'll see and the mountains in the distance. But as you go north and get closer to the mountains and away from the central part of the valley the desert environment really takes over. So I'd say if you can be north or east of the 101 then you'll really be out in the desert. For houses, check out McDowell Mountain Ranch. That's a neighborhood I would look in first if I were moving out that way. Good schools, right by the mountains and not too inconvenient from the rest of Scottsdale. Plus Sunrise Trail in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve is right nearby and I love that trail for early morning hikes.

I really love Gilbert as well, and Chandler is nice too, but I think for what you're looking for Scottsdale and Tempe would be a better fit. Being in the East Valley they're definitely greener, so it would be less of a shock to your system coming from NJ as far as the natural setting goes but it sounds like you're looking for something very different. Gilbert has a really awesome trifecta of restaurants all owned by the same guy that are well worth the drive. Do breakfast at Joe's Farm Grill, lunch at Joe's Real BBQ and dinner at Liberty Market. Actually Joe's Real BBQ is our first stop after we pick up the rental car at the airport when we're out there!

I think you're wife's business would do well in either place, maybe a bit better in Tempe but if she can find a good location in Scottsdale and build a following then the sky is really the limit.

For housing, yes, the further north in Scottsdale you go the pricier it becomes. Something like DC Ranch is probably not in either of our budgets!

Let me know if you have any other questions. And locals, feel free to correct anything wrong I may have thrown out there.
Thomas, again this is wonderful information for us and doesn't go unappreciated!

I just looked into Mcdowell mountain ranch area, and it seems like that's just what we're looking for. Beautiful area it seems. I think our next step will be to get in touch with a realtor and take a trip out in April!

I think our main focuses will be in Scottsdale, Tempe, and Gilbert. We'll be sure to check out more of the area as well though. Would looking into anywhere in the west valley be anything I seek at all too?

Thanks again sir!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Make a post in the Phoenix forum if you want some more information.

I've been to Austin (never lived) but it's certainly a very neat place. However comparing Austin to Phoenix isn't a valid comparison simply because of the size difference. Austin is very much more concentrated than Phoenix than is spread out EVERYWHERE.

I live in Scottsdale and am VERY happy to call it home! BUT for $200K...you won't find anything more than a condo and not a nice one at that. $200K in Tempe will get you much further, probably a small single-family home.

I truly enjoy living in the Valley and it's full of transplants so you never feel "out of place". I've found most people to be quite friendly as many are originally from the Midwest who have relocated to get away from the harsh winters.

Phoenix is hot in the summer but it isn't unbearable. The old saying is overused but it truly IS dry heat. If you drink tons of water, you'll be good. Humidity, to me, is much more difficult to bear because it FOLLOWS you into your home, office, etc whereas dry heat can be overcome by a strong air conditioner.

Ever been driving a car in a hot and humid area and you literally have to PEEL yourself off the leather seats? You don't have that in Phoenix.

Winter here is WONDERFUL, absolutely WONDERFUL. Right now it's a bit chilly out but supposed to get into the mid 60's for the rest of the weekend. Can't beat it.

If you want more info, you can message me and I'll try to answer any questions.
Thanks for the great info Speedy! After checking out listings it does seem like you "get more bang for your buck" outside of Scottsdale. Although there were what seemed to be some nice listings in the higher end of my price range as well.

Would you be able to offer any insight on the safety of the cities of Scottsdale, Tempe, and Gilbert? Of course we'd prefer to live in as safe an area as possible.

When we were in Phoenix a couple years ago we didn't mind the heat at all. Like you mentioned because of the lack of humidity which we'd love to escape where we are.

I'll also post up in the Phoenix forum too and very well may send you a message. Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City