Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would lose the most status without its major MSA?
Kansas (Witchita) 4 7.02%
Connecticut (Hartford) 14 24.56%
Arkansas (Little Rock) 17 29.82%
Mississippi (Jackson) 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 09:05 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times

Advertisements

A comparison of four states with relatively obscure primary MSA's:

Kansas: Witchita MSA (19% of state population)

Connecticut: Hartford MSA (43% of state population)

Mississippi: Jackson MSA (18% of state population)

Arkansas: Little Rock MSA (22% of state population)

Which state would lose the most status absent its primary MSA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 10:08 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Take away Hartford and Connecticut is still a suburb of NYC and a staple of the Northeast Corridor. I'm sure other CT cities would fill in the gaps.

Take away Wichita, and Kansas still has their half of metro KC, plus Topeka. I don't even really think of Wichita when I think of Kansas.

Take away Little Rock, and Arkansas still has it's fast growing NW cities. Sure it would hurt, but Little Rock flies under the radar anyways.

Take away Jackson and Mississippi is way worse off. Mississippi is not very strong economically, and has no secondary metro to help carry the burden. That's my vote!

Old 02-21-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Take away Hartford and Connecticut is still a suburb of NYC and a staple of the Northeast Corridor. I'm sure other CT cities would fill in the gaps.

Take away Wichita, and Kansas still has their half of metro KC, plus Topeka. I don't even really think of Wichita when I think of Kansas.

Take away Little Rock, and Arkansas still has it's fast growing NW cities. Sure it would hurt, but Little Rock flies under the radar anyways.

Take away Jackson and Mississippi is way worse off. Mississippi is not very strong economically, and has no secondary metro to help carry the burden. That's my vote!
I have very little knowledge of these states (which is why I make threads like this to learn from those who do), but I ultimately for Arkansas because, though I have heard about "NWA" and it sounds great-MS has coastal/port cities, CT has other large metros like Bridgeport, and KS like you mentioned has its share of KC metro and Topeka.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:35 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Mississippi has a good portion of the prosperous Memphis suburbs and a growing section of Interstate 69. It also borders the Gulf Of Mexico and some nice little towns are located there, so, it's not like Mississippi has nothing to bring to the table.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:49 AM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
How important is Connecticut even WITH its primary MSA? What does it do besides provide a residential option for NYC's workforce?

The other three provide significant agricultural output, so they'd still be important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Jackson is an absolute basketcase that makes Detroit or Baltimore look like a crime-free paradise. Most of its economic prominence stems from being the state capital, so it's arguably a SOURCE of burden rather than "carrying" any burden. IMO Mississippi might well be better of without Jackson.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:07 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
It’s Mississippi or Arkansas. Mississippi is less dependent on Jackson MSA’s GDP (24.3%) than Arkansas is to Little Rock (28.5%). But Fayetteville MSA is bigger and growing faster than Gulfport and Desoto County in Mississippi.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
It could be argued that Kansas City is the primary metro of Kansas.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It could be argued that Kansas City is the primary metro of Kansas.
Using the same logic, we could also argue that New York City is the primary metro of Connecticut, right?

Old 02-21-2024, 07:07 PM

93,212 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Using the same logic, we could also argue that New York City is the primary metro of Connecticut, right?
No, because the portion of the state actually is the Bridgeport-Stamford-Danbury metro area(Fairfield County). So, there isn't a part of CT in the NYC metro area. It is a part of the CSA though.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:17 PM

10,208 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Within these states, probably Connecticut since the most important part of Connecticut is the New York suburbs anyway, Bridgeport isn't even important.

Without Little Rock, Arkansas would still have the Northwest Arkansas metro area which is economically significant as the headquarters of both Walmart and Tyson Foods.

I've only been through Jackson, but I hear its a very ghetto city from the news and from people who have been there, and that its a drain on the state, plagued by violent crime and that businesses have fled Jackson because of the failures of the local government. Mississippi still has the Memphis suburbs and the Gulf coast. The Biloxi-Gulfport area is very nice with tourism and industries and fishing, and a significant offshore oil industry.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2024 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City