Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Denver 14 14.58%
Atlanta 4 4.17%
Minneapolis 23 23.96%
Chicago 16 16.67%
Austin 12 12.50%
Columbus 0 0%
Miami 3 3.13%
Tampa 0 0%
Orlando 0 0%
Nashville 2 2.08%
Memphis 0 0%
Asheville 7 7.29%
Dallas 1 1.04%
Houston 1 1.04%
San Antonio 0 0%
Raleigh-Durham 2 2.08%
Cleveland 3 3.13%
Cincinnati 1 1.04%
Pittsburgh 1 1.04%
Other 5 5.21%
Phoenix 1 1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

5,477 posts, read 3,916,864 times

Advertisements

The mayor of Burlington is a member of the Vermont Progressive Party, which is left of the Democratic Party. A description of their platform can be found on their Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont_Progressive_Party
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Big city: Minneapolis
Small city: Burlington

Honorable mention: Madison, Ann Arbor, Bloomington IN
I’d add Ithaca in terms of a small city/HM.

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

5,477 posts, read 3,916,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I’d add Ithaca in terms of a small city/HM.
Ithaca's quite liberal, but if you want to talk 'feel' (as mentioned in the OP), Burlington has always had more of a countercultural vibe

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

494 posts, read 245,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
OP did say 'non west coast or northeast city'. Makes sense to make it 'anything not located in the Bos-Wash megalopolis or along the I-5 Corridor'
Title is a bit misleading, but yea, the first post states non northeast or west coast.

Biloxi, MS is on the coast but I don't lump it with Santa Monica or Boston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Which by any other credible definition excludes Washington DC, while including three cities in Florida.

I realize many of these posts are rooted in some fantasyland set forth by the OP, but at some point you have to tap the brakes a little bit.
What fantasyland is that? Seems like you're projecting something, maybe it's lost in translation.

Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Ithaca, NY?

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

14,165 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I knew Minneapolis was liberal. To what extent of how liberal the Twin Cities metro area is I wasn't sure as I'm unfamiliar with that area. And I'm currently in Chicago so I was just questioning how MSP compares to it.
According to that 2014 Pew Research Center report, Minneapolis is the most liberal city in the Midwest (and #6 nationwide), edging out #7 Detroit and a few notches above #11 (#3 in the Midwest) Chicago. (If, as a few people do, you consider Buffalo a Midwest city, Chicago falls to #4.)

As STLgasm said when they posted it first, I doubt the rankings on that 2014 scale have changed significantly over the decade since.

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

14,165 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Travis county is nearly twice the population of Denver county. That’s like comparing Atlanta vs the entire LA metro and saying Atlanta is more liberal
Maybe equally to the point, Denver, like Philadelphia and San Francisco, is at once a city and a county. The Colorado legislature pretty much stripped Denver of its powers to annex land because when it did, that land ceased to belong to the county it was in and became part of the City and County of Denver, whose territory would take up part of five counties were that not the case.

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,208,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Feels like the Colorado shift has been more than ten years. Denver being the main driver of course. Test of the state feels conservative imo
Voting patterns in Colorado suggest that in addition to Denver and its closer suburbs, the university cities of Boulder and Fort Collins, and several ski resort and outdoor oriented communities such as Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Telluride and Durango lean to the liberal side. Altogether such places make up a large share of the state.

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Voting patterns in Colorado suggest that in addition to Denver and its closer suburbs, the university cities of Boulder and Fort Collins, and several ski resort and outdoor oriented communities such as Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Telluride and Durango lean to the liberal side. Altogether such places make up a large share of the state.
Ah. Yes I consider Boulder a part of Denver metro. It’s basically Berkeley in my mind. But fewer Asians. More frat types

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,197,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post
Great topic OP, but why is Miami “non-coastal”?

It’s probably semantics but I always thought Great Lakes cities like Chicago and Cleveland kind of considered coastal?
Right that's what I was thinking regarding Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City