Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NO or SA
New Orleans; the American France 74 54.81%
San Antonio; the American Spain 61 45.19%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:56 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Having visited both and lived in one, I was speaking more to your "nothing interesting" remark about San Antonio. It's definitely got its own thing going on, its own culture. It's not like there's nothing unique there, which is what I garnered from your post, quite the contrary.
I wasn't really trying to say there is nothing unique about SA or it doesn't have it's own thing going on, it just doesn't seem nearly on same level as a city like New Orleans when it comes to culture, food, music, people, atmosphere, and celebrations. I doubt many people have been to or heard of Fiesta outside of TX compared to how well know Mardi Gras is. I'm sure SA is a nice city and fine overall but NOLA just seems more interesting, fun, and unique to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:04 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
And I wouldn't say New Orleans is French, the way Montreal or Quebec are. I've heard it said that New Orleans is like a good old southern girl with a fancy French dress on who has had way too much rum to drink.
NOLA was only established by France. The French Quarter burned and was rebuilt in the Spanish colonial style. Beyond that, it was mostly developed by Americans (except for a couple Fauborgs). To make an international comparison, New Orleans is a Caribbean city. Whatever you consider NOLA to be, it wins with almost no contest against San Antonio.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:24 PM

362 posts, read 1,058,277 times
Will pre-Katrina New Orleans stats as far as visitors, San Antonio is far more visited. New Orleans at it's strongest attracted 8-10 million vs San Antonio's 25-27 million. I would say they are comprable history wise, landmark wise. The oldest cathederal in the U.S. I believe is in San Antonio(San Fernando) as well as the second oldest municipal city park (San Pedro Springs Park)after the Boston Common. The "no contest" you mention seems more of a opinion than fact.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:41 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,112,570 times
New Orleans is more of the wild anything goes city. It beats San Antonio hands down in that dept, and most other major cities. Texas has too many rules! San Antonio does have a wild side but more subdued.
San Antonio has more attractions overall, theme Parks, family inspired attractions. It seems San Antonio beats it out in yearly visitors. Fiesta San Antonio is larger than N.O Mardi Gras. Fiesta San Antonio attracts 3.5 million in on week vs N.O. Mardi Gras nearly 1 million. I guess all the exposed boobs makes it more talked about festival, but still attracts less visitors, it's not for all. San Antonio is more culturally diverse I would say since it is a major military hub.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:59 PM

20 posts, read 50,950 times
sorry. St. Louis Cathedral is older than San Fernando. I feel like New Orleans in more unique. They created Jazz music and have dishes such as gumbo, red beans and rice, jambalya, and more. No offense, but I feel like the Spanish influences seen in San Antonie is not unique and can be seen anywhere from Southern Texas to Southern California.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,987 times
Should be:

New Orleans: The American France/Spain

San Antonio: The American Mexico

Old 06-22-2008, 10:16 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I chose SA because NO is unique in some areas, yes, but the rest of the city is downright scary. SA has similar weather, but I prefer it more. I like the Spanish influences (same for Santa Fe) in the city. New Orleans, while neat, was just kinda weird.
Last time I checked San Antonio had something like the largest Mexican American population of any large American City, and while the murder rate might not be as high, I think the general population of San Antonio gives off a more uncertain vibe than that of New Orleans. In New Orleans, you know exactly the type of characters to avoid, but if I'm in San Antonio, I feel like any random person could pull a knife on me and steal my wallet or something.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painles View Post
Should be:

New Orleans: The American France/Spain

San Antonio: The American Mexico

Hahaha! Funny but Exactly!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
I think the Spain reference is supposed to be referring to the architecture?

Old 06-23-2008, 03:31 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,112,570 times
San Antonio was founded by Spain. I would say it has major Spanish influence as well as German. They are several german settled suburbs. Such as Castroville, New Braunfels, Boerne, Seguin and regional cities like Fredericksburg and Kerrville. San Antonio or Saint Anthony does not just have a latin flavor.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 06-23-2008 at 03:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City