Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. region has the worst Summer climate?
The U.S. Southwest 45 18.75%
The U.S. South/Southeast 152 63.33%
Both are equally miserable! 43 17.92%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 PM

186 posts, read 640,115 times

Advertisements

I agree with Steve-o that Abq can get cold (maybe not frigid, but cold). The lows sometimes dip to the low teens in January and February. However, lows generally hover around the freezing to 40 range during the winter. ABQ is not the same type of desert like Phx and Las Vegas. Albuquerque is basically the same elevation as Denver (a mile high) so it does get cold. However, it doesn't get as cold on a long-term basis as places elsewhere in the United States. Spring is amazing here (minus the wind) and Fall is probably the best time (to me). However, to get back on topic, summers here aren't bad. While not unheard of to top out at 100 here, the norm is low to mid 90s. When people think Southwest summers, they typically stereotype it as PHX or Las Vegas hot when it's 115 or so. The same can be said when thinking Souteast Humid Summers. Even this weekend, the high is only 'suppose' to be mid 80s. But, as has been stated on here before, to each his/her own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 38,430 times
What is winter like in the Waynesville area? How long does winter last there?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:04 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
One thing that's clear is that the kind of lifestyle that Americans who live in the Southeast or the Southwest lead is not really well suited to those hot climates. For one, they build ridiculous Northern European style wooden homes that are eaten by termites. Nobody elsewhere in the world at those latitudes builds permanent dwellings out of those materials.

What you'll also find is that to escape the heat, people from India to Southern Europe tend to come into work early, close shop in the afternoon to sleep/rest, and then open up again in the evening late into the night. It's quite effective. The usual 8-5 Western work day doesn't make as much sense in these hot climates, when you expose yourself to the brunt of the heat.
But that is what Air Conditioning is for- in those areas (and in most areas of the US, for that matter) all public places, office buildings, and homes are air conditioned, so it doesn't really matter if you are at home or at work during the hottest part of the day. Now if someone works outdoors, well, that is a different story.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
southeast for sure for me, I hate humidity. At least in the southwest I don't get sticky and soaked clothes walking through the parking lot, it evaporates. It is only May here and already 90+ everyday and 90% humidity. Disgusting. I can't even go outside for 5 minutes w/o breaking into sweat. Glad I am getting out and not going to be around for the "summer". My fam lives here but have made it a point not to come here during the summer...haven't experienced one in the south since 2003 or when I had to be in Orlando for a few days on layover from Europe in august of 2005 (AHHHH that was horrible flying from Iceland into MCO, getting off the plane felt nausea the weather was so bad.)

Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
It is already in the 90s and humid in South Florida. It will only get worse in the coming months. Yes, WORSE.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:06 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
It depends what you prefer: a sauna or a steam room

Neither of these places are fun for more than 10-20 min. So, I'd say summers are equally uncomfortable in Southwest and Southeast. Some people may prefer dry heat vs. moist heat and for some dry heat is miserable. For me personally dry heat is harder to tolerate, my eyes sting, my skin cracks and my hair gets brittle with static. Long term effect - faster aging process. So, if I had to choose a place with hot summers to leave long term I'd rather choose humidity, keeps you younger It's like having the steam room outside of your door for free without having to pay the overpriced membership to some uppity gym

Ok, jokes aside, overall temperatures are lower in the Southeast and nights seem to be more comfortable. Temps in summer in DC would be in the 70s during the night although the day time temps would be in the 90s with all the notorious humidity. So, taking a stroll early in the morning or after the sun goes down isn't as bad, especially after the rain. On the other hand, in Las Vegas night temperatures are often in the high 90s or even 100 even with the sun down, which makes it uncomfortable going outside any time of the day, the 'blowdryer' effect of the air never goes away even at night. So, in addition to having to run AC 24-7 I also had to run a humidifier in Las Vegas, vs. in DC I only needed to use AC. Dry heat long term can be hell for those with dry skin/eyes.
I believe they're called "SWAMP COOLERS". They use them in the southwest.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I can honestly tell a big difference between southwest and southeast heat. The dry heat out west doesn't bother me nearly as much as the very humid, hot temps of the southeast.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:19 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Speaking from a person who has actually been to both regions, I can say that the South is more tolerable. Would you rather stick your head into an oven or a sauna?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Speaking from a person who has actually been to both regions, I can say that the South is more tolerable. Would you rather stick your head into an oven or a sauna?
The dry heat dries out your contact lenses, and causes your lips to crack/become easily chapped.

Overall, the climate of the southeast is much better. The atmosphere is much better, too. Green over brown any day.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:08 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
The dry heat dries out your contact lenses, and causes your lips to crack/become easily chapped.

Overall, the climate of the southeast is much better. The atmosphere is much better, too. Green over brown any day.

Dry heat is alot more tolerable though. The SE is just downright nasty. You can't wear a suit or anything without being drenched in sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City