Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest Name recognition:Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 365 57.94%
Houston 265 42.06%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:13 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times

Advertisements

Name recognition is not the same as the relative merits between two cities.

Who has the greatest name recognition? Charlie Manson or Peter Buckley.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
What's cooler than space exploration? Apollo 13 was one of the highest grossing films of all time. I don't think it would have been if it were a movie about soda.

I have to be honest though, when I think of this movie I think about Space, NASA and if pressed would recall that houston was the main setting. But the movie wasnt about Houston nor did it play a roll. Heck even Johnsville PA (Bucks County Philly Metro) was in the movie (no one would know but did have a label, is where the astronaughts did the centrifuge, have actually been in there

But point is no one would know that and most dont think associate that with houston as much as you might think.

On this Atlanta has better PR or recognition; just does, doesnt make it better but is what it is

Austin has more recognition than does Columbus OH and they to me are extremely similar in reality

I have said for years that houston would be well suited with a better PR campaign and as an enetity IMHO should invest in that actually

Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I have to be honest though, when I think of this movie I think about Space, NASA and if pressed would recall that houston was the main setting. But the movie wasnt about Houston nor did it play a roll. Heck even Johnsville PA (Bucks County Philly Metro) was in the movie (no one would know but did have a label, is where the astronaughts did the centrifuge, have actually been in there

But point is no one would know that and most dont think associate that with houston as much as you might think.

On this Atlanta has better PR or recognition; just does, doesnt make it better but is what it is

Austin has more recognition than does Columbus OH and they to me are extremely similar in reality

I have said for years that houston would be well suited with a better PR campaign and as an enetity IMHO should invest in that actually
That comment you quoted wasn't about Houston. It was about R1070's statement saying that NASA isn't perceived as cool by the masses. I never said that Apollo 13 was centered around Houston.

Now, as for your above points, if I recall correctly, you were the poster who said you saw no connection between the names of Houston's sports teams and it's role as "the Space City". Forgive me for having to remind you that you're probably in the minority on this one, and I wouldn't doubt that most DO associate NASA with Houston, as well as one of the most overused pop culture phrases of our generation.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
That comment you quoted wasn't about Houston. It was about R1070's statement saying that NASA isn't perceived as cool by the masses. I never said that Apollo 13 was centered around Houston.

Now, as for your above points, if I recall correctly, you were the poster who said you saw no connection between the names of Houston's sports teams and it's role as "the Space City". Forgive me for having to remind you that you're probably in the minority on this one, and I wouldn't doubt that most DO associate NASA with Houston, as well as one of the most overused pop culture phrases of our generation.
Well rockets, guess I see. On the Astos, well to me is still the Astrodome, guess I see the relationship but will be honest. To me (and I worked for a contractor of NASA years ago in DC, right by Goddard) I still think of DC and/or the Cape in FL before I think of Houston, know of the affiliation. But NASA in the american mindset about this

OIL

nasa
malls (Galleria)

Not being a pain but the NASA is a little soft if that is the image and not mainstream IMHO

BTW, I said space city was something I never heard befroe this baord, I have been on this planets 4 decades and been traveling to Houston for work for the past nearly 2 decades; that was the referecne actually

End of the day Atlanta has a grand recognition, for better or worse.

As far as NASA, yes very cool, we put a man on the moon! Will be interesting to see the long term saliancy of NASA, budgets are going to be tougher with all the debt; not sure NASA in the current incarnation can coexist with the massive defense spend. Plus looks like a movement toward outsourcing. Juts hope doesnt get too cut as NASA has produced some great technology

Some even here, WV of all places

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atlab/393375099/

Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Well rockets, guess I see. On the Astos, well to me is still the Astrodome, guess I see the relationship but will be honest. To me (and I worked for a contractor of NASA years ago in DC, right by Goddard) I still think of DC and/or the Cape in FL before I think of Houston, know of the affiliation. But NASA in the american mindset about this

OIL

nasa
malls (Galleria)

Not being a pain but the NASA is a little soft if that is the image and not mainstream IMHO

BTW, I said space city was something I never heard befroe this baord, I have been on this planets 4 decades and been traveling to Houston for work for the past nearly 2 decades; that was the referecne actually

End of the day Atlanta has a grand recognition, for better or worse.

As far as NASA, yes very cool, we put a man on the moon! Will be interesting to see the long term saliancy of NASA, budgets are going to be tougher with all the debt; not sure NASA in the current incarnation can coexist with the massive defense spend. Plus looks like a movement toward outsourcing. Juts hope doesnt get too cut as NASA has produced some great technology

Some even here, WV of all places

NASA IV&V Facilty, Fairmont West Virginia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
YMMV. For as long as I could remember, it's always seemed that NASA and Houston have always been associated with each other in the American conscious, and not just because I live here. I still say that you're most likely in the minority of people who hear titles like "Rockets" "Astro" and "Comets", yet weren't able to put two and two together.

For the record, I never said that Atlanta didn't have more national recognition. Whether the same is true globally (across all continents and not just little trips to Dubai) is something that none of us know for sure and can only guess on.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:28 PM

21 posts, read 41,008 times
Atlanta by a country mile.

I have no qualms with Houston but I can not think of a single reason why people think about Houston in other major US cities.

Atlanta is notable for its importance in the Civil War, its legitimate claim to being "The Capital of the South", its importance in the Civil Rights movement, it being home to some of the best schools in the nation (Georgia Tech, Emory, Spelman, Morehouse), and of course...

It being home to the world's largest AND busiest airport.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
YMMV. For as long as I could remember, it's always seemed that NASA and Houston have always been associated with each other in the American conscious, and not just because I live here. I still say that you're most likely in the minority of people who hear titles like "Rockets" "Astro" and "Comets", yet weren't able to put two and two together.

For the record, I never said that Atlanta didn't have more national recognition. Whether the same is true globally (across all continents and not just little trips to Dubai) is something that none of us know for sure and can only guess on.

Not sure who the comets are... are they soccer or a minor league team?

on the Astos, Dunno I always remeber the Astrodome, Nolen Ryan pitching against Steve Carlton but that may just be me (and those multi colored yellow brown unis). I honestly never put the two together. Mnay team names dont make sense anyway. Utah Jazz LA Lakers

Will say the one that always made sense to me was the Oilers

Vintage Houston Oilers #1 Fight Song - YouTube

Honestly though I like Houston and NASA is not what I think of now, nor ever but as you say YMMV

Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 PM

157 posts, read 316,908 times
Default Houston Oilers

Houston bailed on their old team the Oilers. I was sorry to see it happen. I still don't understand what they are now.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Not sure who the comets are... are they soccer or a minor league team?
Let me google that for you

Quote:
on the Astos, Dunno I always remeber the Astrodome, Nolen Ryan pitching against Steve Carlton but that may just be me (and those multi colored yellow brown unis). I honestly never put the two together. Mnay team names dont make sense anyway. Utah Jazz LA Lakers

Will say the one that always made sense to me was the Oilers

Vintage Houston Oilers #1 Fight Song - YouTube

Honestly though I like Houston and NASA is not what I think of now, nor ever but as you say YMMV
Dude, I'm sorry, but I'm sure that anyone who was paying attention in grade school science classes would atleast assume that something with the word "astro" in it might be related to, oh, I don't know...astronomy.

Of course "the Oilers" made sense to you because it helps drive home your point that Houston is nothing but OIL to the rest of the world.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Let me google that for you

Dude, I'm sorry, but I'm sure that anyone who was paying attention in grade school science classes would atleast assume that something with the word "astro" in it might be related to, oh, I don't know...astronomy.

Of course "the Oilers" made sense to you because it helps drive home your point that Houston is nothing but OIL to the rest of the world.
well oil is far more an association than space when people think of Houston, that is what it is...

Also NASA is HQ'd in DC am pretty sure

NASA - NASA Visitors Center and Tours

but again as someone with decent general knowledge of places and even their stereotypes/reputations the space/nasa affiliation is pretty soft relative to most other places

honestly, and my original point Houston needs a better PR campaign, though I do at times wonder if that is somewhat preconcieved as the main midset is oil and may not be totally favorable these days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City