Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:21 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times

Advertisements

Yea, there are some really nice secluded spaces behind rowhouses. In Frederick, some even has little pools. In Baltimore, more and more rooftop decks are being built, which even though ugly, provide great outdoor living space. Here's an example in Baltimore of a backyard of a rowhouse that someone took great care of

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2748/backyardci.jpg
http://www.houselove.org/intro.php

Last edited by JMT; 01-12-2013 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 AM

213 posts, read 421,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm the exact opposite. I don't need a yard. In fact, if I had one, who's going to cut it? I'm not hiring anyone to do it. I would love to live in one of these rowhouses.
See im different I dont mind cutting grass etc.. Thats how I grew up big family, big house, yard, pool in the back etc... I just cant live that close. The row houses just feel like apts or townhouses to me...

Old 06-17-2010, 06:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
See im different I dont mind cutting grass etc.. Thats how I grew up big family, big house, yard, pool in the back etc... I just cant live that close. The row houses just feel like apts or townhouses to me...

I think for some it is less about the row house, though some are far nicer than others and more about the location and proximity to things and lifestyle. Urban vs. suburban. But soem can be very pretty and some not. Overall though the decision to live in this type of neighborhood is more a lifestyle choice. The ability to walk to things or be more car reliant etc.

There is no right or wrong answer as to where anyone chooses to live...

Old 06-17-2010, 08:56 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Personally I hate doing yard work, but I do like a good mix between nature and urbanity. To give you an idea of what I mean, here are few townhouses from my neck of the woods:

Atlantic Station:
Index of /UOThreads/2009/Atlanta

http://www.urbanohio.com/UOThreads/2...09Atlanta9.jpg
http://www.urbanohio.com/UOThreads/2...9Atlanta10.jpg

Glenwood Park

http://www.livablecommunitiescoaliti...ges/100021.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2260/...d8f1cb62_o.jpg

Midtown

midtown atlanta - Google Maps

NoBu

buckhead atlanta - Google Maps

buckhead atlanta - Google Maps

Last edited by JMT; 01-12-2013 at 07:31 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think for some it is less about the row house, though some are far nicer than others and more about the location and proximity to things and lifestyle. Urban vs. suburban. But soem can be very pretty and some not. Overall though the decision to live in this type of neighborhood is more a lifestyle choice. The ability to walk to things or be more car reliant etc.

There is no right or wrong answer as to where anyone chooses to live...
Your right?? But on city data if your city is very urban and your city is diverse then it wins.... There are more people living a suburban lifestyle than a urban lifestyle... In my opinion urban living is more for single or married couples who have no kids.. Suburban life are for those who have families..

Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 AM

I love those houses by Atlantic station..

Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 AM

161 posts, read 699,466 times
The Atlantic Station development looks similar to the Central Station development in Chicago.

Central Station

Old 06-17-2010, 09:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The Atlantic Station development looks similar to the Central Station development in Chicago.

Central Station

I just spent some time in Chicago and coming back from the convention center I walked through this neighborhood. While it has many nice buildings it is a bit sterile. The street vibe was barren. I think it will get better but honestly it is funny you compared this area to Atlanta. My thought was this felt much more like Atlanta or Houston than it did to the rest of Chicago, which in my opinion was a bad thing. Chicago is such a great city. But it felt like the suburbs were replicated within the city and that just confused me

Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 AM

161 posts, read 699,466 times
Although the best Central Station townhouses have to be the ones on Prairie Avenue just south of 18th St. They're very nice.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I just spent some time in Chicago and coming back from the convention center I walked through this neighborhood. While it has many nice buildings it is a bit sterile. The street vibe was barren. I think it will get better but honestly it is funny you compared this area to Atlanta. My thought was this felt much more like Atlanta or Houston than it did to the rest of Chicago, which in my opinion was a bad thing. Chicago is such a great city. But it felt like the suburbs were replicated within the city and that just confused me
The suburbs? Seriously?

Its a new neighborhood, so it like Atlantic Station will take time to build a community. That takes a few decades to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City