Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 05:02 AM

50 posts, read 245,820 times

Advertisements

In no particular order.

Anniston, Alabama
Macon, Georgia (a little over 75,000 I think, but not by much)
Cairo, Illinois (this place needs to be burned down and bulldozed under)
Branson, Missouri
Cartersville, Georgia
Tupelo, Mississippi (An absolutely appalling dump)
Greenville, Mississippi
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 07:06 AM

518 posts, read 2,532,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
In no particular order.

Anniston, Alabama
Branson, Missouri
Cartersville, Georgia
Greenville, Mississippi
Cleveland, Tennessee
there's a good youtube video about cairo, illiniois. i think the town is almost a vacant.
What's wrong with Branson, Missouri? I've never been there, but I have heard that people like to visit

Old 11-27-2008, 07:31 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
there's a good youtube video about cairo, illiniois. i think the town is almost a vacant.
What's wrong with Branson, Missouri? I've never been there, but I have heard that people like to visit
Branson's not a horrible town, but it's strictly a tourist trap. They primarily need to find a better way to move people around there.
It's clean, it's safe, but if you don't like tourist areas, you'll hate it.

I'll throw Pine Bluff, Arkansas on the list.
The population peaked at over 90k people in the 1980 census. The 2007 estimate puts it at around 50k.
It has been at the very top of some 'most-dangerous cities' lists on occasion.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Nothing, if you like a tacky tourist trap town. The area around Branson though is beautiful. Northbound is spot on. If you love tourist trap towns, Branson won't disappoint. It reminds me a lot of Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, Tennessee in the Smoky Mountains, although I think Branson is much tackier than they are.

I had to go to Cairo on business a couple of years ago, and I was stunned at that town. I had heard it was really bad, but I was not prepared for how bad it really was.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:58 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Belle Glade (Muck City), FL

Old 11-27-2008, 10:12 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Default Cairo

Quote:
I was just in Cairo about a year ago. It's not vacant, but I think they have less than half of their peak population living there now. The old downtown is several blocks in size, but is 99 percent deserted and most buildings there are in ruins. Virtually all of the business is in decaying strip malls and freestanding block buildings along the highway. Most have bars on the windows.

Surprisingly, there is a very beautiful neighborhood of 19th century mansions. They surround a pretty little park that looks like it's right out of Victorian times, and one of the streets is a wide brick-paved boulevard with landscaping in the middle and is shaded by huge ancient trees. It reminds me alot of the Garden District in New Orleans. It's several blocks off the highway. You have to actually be looking for it to find it. The area is designated as a historic district.

Driving around Cairo is eerie. There is almost no traffic anywhere in town, even on the highway, since the interstate bypasses the town. You see hardly anyone walking around the streets. Most people who live there these days are black and poor. With the exception of the historic district, the residential areas have narrow, potholed streets, the houses are small, ramshackle bungalows with trash in the yards. Looks alot like some of New Orleans' poorer neighborhoods. Cairo may be in IL, a Midwestern state, but it is definitely a Southern town by most other counts.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Gainesville, MO
Needles, CA
Carpentersville, IL
Nogales, AZ

Old 11-28-2008, 09:16 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,623 times
Peachtree City GA. About 95% Republican, not much to do unless you like golf, lots of rich snobby types, large number of moster SUV's, many super religous types. (I had to live there 18 years).

Old 11-29-2008, 02:18 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
In no particular order.

Anniston, Alabama
Branson, Missouri
Cartersville, Georgia
Greenville, Mississippi
Cleveland, Tennessee
Macon is a LOVELY city of just over 100,000...so I guess that alone disqualifies it. It's very historic and has some beautifully preserved homes and buildings. Oh well, to each his own.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Macon is a LOVELY city of just over 100,000...so I guess that alone disqualifies it. It's very historic and has some beautifully preserved homes and buildings. Oh well, to each his own.
It's possible I was expecting more from Macon. Most cities have beautifully preserved homes and buildings, and of course Macon is no exception. I did however, find the city for the most part to be shabby and unremarkable. Are there worse places? Without a doubt, but Macon is far from LOVELY. Agreed though, to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City