Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: L.A or Houston??
L.A 32 61.54%
Houston 20 38.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:53 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Indeed, apart from Sundance Square or 6th Street (and its environs) what else to do in those towns? When you get bored enough of downtown Ft. Worth, no matter how excellent, what do you do then? Drive 35 miles to Dallas or something like that?

I would get bored going to Sundance Square or 6th St. (or 4th) all the time.

Conversely,

how do you get bored from options like Rice Village, downtown, Midtown, New Chinatown, City Centre, Sugar Land, the Montrose, Kemah Lighthouse District and etc for SO MANY differing environs? (Like City Centre's and Sugar Land's niche and unique bars can be equated to "Chili's", lol.)

Your hypocrisy is exposed.

Houston is for a variety of choices.

I will gladly take the Montrose's Agora or Avant Garden or the Height's Fitzgerald's to the crap I see on Hollywood/Highland or 3rd St. Promenade or Sunset Blvd...if we speak in terms of general taste. LA's got some cool stuff, but Houston's got nothing to be ashamed of compared to LA.

I love LA but when I first visited Old Town Pasadena...I thought to myself, WTF? This is just a slight variation of Santa Monica nearer the mountains, away from the beach!

No oddball hidden "main street" like Fairview or quaint little villa street like Mid Lane in LA's concrete jungle?

One thing I loved about LA metro, is the gritty and funky vibe of downtown San Pedro. Something like that has more appeal than the Kodak kiosk schlock you see in much of LA's superficial entertainment areas.
What exactly is unique about City Centre and Sugar Land Town Square? Those town squares look exactly like every town square in every city. What hypocrisy did you expose? Houston has a lame night life. Building a bunch of cookie cutter town squares won't change that. Houston looks so weak when compared to Los Angeles. How about we start with the little guys first before we even think about going up against the big boys like Los Angeles. How about a Houston vs Omaha thread. We may be able to make a dent in that one.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:27 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,302 times
Quote:
I will gladly take the Montrose's Agora or Avant Garden or the Height's Fitzgerald's to the crap I see on Hollywood/Highland or 3rd St. Promenade or Sunset Blvd...if we speak in terms of general taste. LA's got some cool stuff, but Houston's got nothing to be ashamed of compared to LA.
Whoa whoa whoa there, nelly.

I've been willing to humor you up until now... but comparing montrose to Hollywood Highland or 3rd street? H&H, 3rd St. Promenade, and Old Town Pasadena are MALLS. For TOURISTS. C'mon man, you know that's ridiculous to compare such square regional "shopping destinations" to pretty much the hippest local neighborhood in Houston.

Try comparing Montrose to East Hollywood, Silver Lake, Los Feliz, Echo Park, Highland Park, Eagle Rock, or Highland Park.

Quote:
No oddball hidden "main street" like Fairview or quaint little villa street like Mid Lane in LA's concrete jungle?
Sawtelle, Echo Park ave, Silver Lake Blvd, Franklin Village, East Fountain, Virgil Village, etc. etc.

I'm starting to think about redacting my agreement with you on the roadhouse thing just because you're so wrong on the rest of this..

Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
What exactly is unique about City Centre and Sugar Land Town Square? Those town squares look exactly like every town square in every city. What hypocrisy did you expose? Houston has a lame night life. Building a bunch of cookie cutter town squares won't change that. Houston looks so weak when compared to Los Angeles. How about we start with the little guys first before we even think about going up against the big boys like Los Angeles. How about a Houston vs Omaha thread. We may be able to make a dent in that one.
Yeah I agree; while the pictures show Houston offers a wide variety of nightlife; it's not unique.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
crazy ppl those pics may be in his neigborhood but not mine HOUSTON HAS TONS OF CLUBBING SPOTS AN IF YOU FROM HOUSTON AND SAY THAT NIGHT LIFE ISNT HERE THAT BECAUSE YOU MAY NOT HAVE THE GAS MONEY TO FIND THE UPSCALE PARTY A CITY OF 2.5MILLION HAS MORE THEN WHAT YALL JUST MENTION AN LARGE EVENTS EVERY SPRING BREAK KAPPA BEACH PARTY AND SPALSH ETC.......
What?

Jluke is right. Those pics did nothing to sell our city. No pics will be able to do that with our city. All I saw were parking lots and power lines. Houston has several pockets of nightlife but within those pockets are one or two bars and clubs worth going to. The rest are crap. That's what makes Houston terrible for bar/club hopping. To get to the next good place you have to drive across town. In other cities you can walk from bar to bar or club to club. Also having to drive home sucks. When I go Downtown it's pretty awful having to drive home Uptown. If we had decent public transportation it wouldn't be such a problem. Once the Uptown line is built I'll have less to complain about but who knows when that line will be built.

No more talk of The Woodlands, Sugar Land, or City Centre when discussing Houston nightlife. It's embarrassing. It's like saying Houston has comparable shopping to Los Angeles and using The Woodlands Mall and First Colony Mall as an example.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,389 times
Houston did a ton better in this poll than I thought it would.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Houston did a ton better in this poll than I thought it would.
That's because there are a lot of Houston people in this forum.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:53 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
That's exactly what it is. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking it's anything but that. Every city in the U.S. has those mixed used developments packed with Chili's, Bennigan's, TGIFridays, Starbucks, and any all the other chain places you see in a strip mall.
Really? Are you seriously saying those are the sorts of restaurants in CityCentre, Uptown or even Sugar Land Town Square? If so, you are being REALLY dishonest. Why?

Quote:
We can't even compete with some of the cities in our own state like Austin and Fort Worth. We probably rank like 4th or 5th in our own state when it comes to nightlife.
Again, really? Have you ever lived in either of those other two cities, or whatever additional 2-3 others in the state that you claim have such better night life?

Quote:
That's because there are a lot of Houston people in this forum.
But for each one, there are probably about 5-10 clueless detractors, so it evens out.

I think you're being pretty disingenuous about Houston with what all you've said in this thread. Why? I don't know, maybe you're just having a bad day.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Really? Are you seriously saying those are the sorts of restaurants in CityCentre, Uptown or even Sugar Land Town Square? If so, you are being REALLY dishonest. Why?

Again, really? Have you ever lived in either of those other two cities, or whatever additional 2-3 others in the state that you claim have such better night life?

But for each one, there are probably about 5-10 clueless detractors, so it evens out.

I think you're being pretty disingenuous about Houston with what all you've said in this thread. Why? I don't know, maybe you're just having a bad day.
Not having a bad day. Just being honest. I've lived Uptown for about 2 and a half years and grew up in the burbs. Uptown is nothing special when it comes to nightlife. They have really nice restaurants but zero bar/club scene. City Centre, Sugar Land Town Square and The Woodlands Market Street/Waterway are typical suburban mixed development centers you'll find in every city in the U.S.

Just because I'm not foaming at the mouth about how special Houston is doesn't make me delusional. I know what Houston has and it's not much.

I lived in Austin for two summers so i've spent a lot of time enjoying their nightlife. Only been to Fort Worth twice but had an amazing time each visit. I don't consider myself an expert on Fort Worth nightlife but the experience was great for me. Downtown Houston is so dead except for in the Flying Saucer. Friday night Downtown should be much more active but it's not. It's sad when there are more people in those pathetic town squares in the burbs than in Downtown Houston. I enjoy going out in Houston but it would be nice if the entertainment was more concentrated. The atmosphere of the area plays a big part in the experience which is what makes a night out in Austin so much better. Just my opinion. Because it differs from your opinion doesn't mean I'm having a bad day.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,723 times
Default Do Houston some Justice!!

If you are gonna post a Skyline for Houston, TX; post one that shows we actually more than 3 and half buildings in downtown Houston.
Houston - Back View - west facing) buildings hide our glory)

This is response to: http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...a-skyline.html

Versus LA

This isn't even counting the Westside, The Greenspoint District, or Westchase. We have like 4 or 5 skylines. Our downtown can hold it's own against LA, Maybe not Chi or NYC though.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:08 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,302 times
^^ As an angeleno, Houston's skyline is more "impressive" to me simply meaning it has more buildings. But I'm not a fan of skyscrapers--I'm much more impressed by continuous mid-rise density because it's more exciting as a pedestrian. "Towers in parks" don't really seem like much at ground level, and skyscraper districts interspersed with giant parking lots can feel downright suburban.

In other words, the SF skyline is magnitudes more impressive than Houston's skyline despite having much fewer tall buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City