Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you rather live in?
Atlanta 16 34.78%
Washington DC 28 60.87%
Houston 12 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:49 AM
2dc 2dc started this thread

87 posts, read 420,041 times

Advertisements

I noticed that DC isn't really represented on here so I decided to come up with a poll. Which would you rather live in DC, Houston, or Atlanta? Which city is better to visit vs living in?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Best to visit = DC
Best in which to live = Atlanta/Houston tie

Old 02-16-2009, 08:46 AM

970 posts, read 2,950,496 times
Best overall = Atlanta
Tired of = all the Houston polls!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
I love DC and the area. It's Coastal (or close enough... direct ocean access anyway) and has no shortage of great, truly URBAN neighborhoods. Each of these cities has issues with crime in certain sections, but I like the best neighborhoods of D.C. better than I like the best neighborhoods in Atlanta or Houston.

Public spaces are awesome in D.C. there is no shortage of excellent free or cheap institutions (Smithsonian anyone?) along with other great cultural and historic attractions.

I like Metro-D.C. better. Alexandria is gorgeous as are some of other suburban cities and towns in Virginia and Maryland. If you want a house and a yard, you can find it easily in metro-D.C.

Mass Transit. I've said before I think the Metro is the best system in the nation (I live near Boston and frequent New York a lot). I would love to be able take advantage of that on a daily basis.

Colleges: All of these cities have good ones, but D.C. (and the area) have some truly excellent schools in Georgetown and GWU.

D.C. has better access to other major cities. New York City is a two hour train ride (Acela Express) away and Philly and Baltimore are pretty close. Boston is a 50 minute flight.

To me (clearly others will differ) this one wasn't even close. I could go on, but I'll stop.

oh! and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Tired of = all the Houston polls!
Ditto! It's getting sickening.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Atlanta is my city but I would live hear in the winter. D.C. is my type of place so I would live there in the summer. If my family relocated to Washington then I'd put that over Atlanta but I'd just say it's a draw for me between ATL and Washington. Houston, I think I'd probably go there for a week to visit.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 PM

123 posts, read 300,711 times
There is no way Atlanta and Houston is a tye. NO WAY DUDE! Atlanta hands down is much better...but to each its own. Atlanta has way more culture and the cost of living is much cheaper. I have lived in both cities. Atlanta has more to offer in terms of schools(colleges),nightlife,and culture. Houston is a nice city but it becomes boring after about a week.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:20 PM

123 posts, read 246,389 times
All three are great and offer a ton. I happen to prefer the life in DC. No one can deny it's the most urban of the bunch, and that's my bag. The metro is fantastic, no matter if much of it is closed due to a blizzard. lol Still, we forge on and remain fantastic.

Great bars, decent to great food.. not gonna lie and act like it's a foodie town, awesome culture, beyond beautiful architecture. D.C., baby. Proud of my city.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:29 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug76 View Post
There is no way Atlanta and Houston is a tye. NO WAY DUDE! Atlanta hands down is much better...but to each its own. Atlanta has way more culture and the cost of living is much cheaper. I have lived in both cities. Atlanta has more to offer in terms of schools(colleges),nightlife,and culture. Houston is a nice city but it becomes boring after about a week.
You lived in Houston for a grand total of three months and yet you come the conclusion that Houston has little to offer in culture and the cost of living is more expensive?Yeah OK

Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
DC! i like ATL too

and i haven't been to Houston - another biased vote

Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dc View Post
I noticed that DC isn't really represented on here so I decided to come up with a poll. Which would you rather live in DC, Houston, or Atlanta? Which city is better to visit vs living in?
These cities are all represented in various threads in the room, and you need to have some very specific criteria that hasn't already been covered via a search. Please read over the room guidelines in the sticky at the top of the room: http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City