Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle Vs. Vancouver
Seattle 126 51.64%
Vancouver 118 48.36%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:06 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
A lack of a black population doesn't make Vancouver homogenous.
True, but it's disingenious to claim that Vancouver is so much more cosmopolitan than Seattle. It's basically a whole diverse set of Asians, and caucasians. Seattle is does not quite have the diversity of Asians, but there are many times more blacks and latinos among the 2/3 white population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
True, but it's disingenious to claim that Vancouver is so much more cosmopolitan than Seattle. It's basically a whole diverse set of Asians, and caucasians. Seattle is does not quite have the diversity of Asians, but there are many times more blacks and latinos among the 2/3 white population.
I'm not talking claiming Vancouver's any more "cosmopolitan" than Seattle - I'm refuting the argument that a lack of a black population makes a city homogeneous. By that argument you could claim that most American cities are homogeneous because they lack significant Asian populations.

Both Seattle and Vancouver have diverse demographics, they're just very different demographics. Just because one city lacks a particular ethnicity doesn't make it any less diverse - it's just a different kind of diversity.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:06 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,820 times
Vancouver is only 50% White, Seattle is 67% White. Vancouver has a much more cosmopolitan vibe IMO. And I'm from Seattle.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:59 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Vancouver is only 50% White, Seattle is 67% White. Vancouver has a much more cosmopolitan vibe IMO. And I'm from Seattle.
Degrees of "whiteness" doesn't really tell the whole story. The vast majority of the 17% difference is due to the large Chinese population. There is a way higher percentage of Chinese in Vancouver, and a much, much lower percentage of blacks. It's a wash in my opinion. I'm not trying to hate on Vancouver, but it has a more sterile vibe than Seattle to me, being a visitor to Vancouver multiple times. Maybe its the architecture. I know there are probably tons of nabes that I haven't had the chance to explore that have grit and character, but alot of the city is shiny and new and lacks character.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Degrees of "whiteness" doesn't really tell the whole story. The vast majority of the 17% difference is due to the large Chinese population. There is a way higher percentage of Chinese in Vancouver, and a much, much lower percentage of blacks. It's a wash in my opinion. I'm not trying to hate on Vancouver, but it has a more sterile vibe than Seattle to me, being a visitor to Vancouver multiple times. Maybe its the architecture. I know there are probably tons of nabes that I haven't had the chance to explore that have grit and character, but alot of the city is shiny and new and lacks character.
Yeah, there are certainly aspects of Vancouver that are sterile ie: the new glass condos downtown in Yaletown and Coal Harbour. However, you have to head east out of downtown if you want to see the grit (or you have to stumble through Gastown and Chinatown into the Downtown Eastside if you want full on crack addicts and people shooting up). Commercial Drive and Main Street are excellent neighbourhoods outside of downtown that are worthwhile checking out the next time you're around.

And for what it's worth, here's a great collection of photos that sort of "showcases" Vancouver beyond the glass condos. It may provide you with more of the grit you've been missing.

Vancouver: A Tribute To Old Faithful - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Chuckanut...

Hang Gliders from Blanchard Mountain (Above the south end of Chuckanut Drive)

View from Blanchard Mountain
Incredibly beautiful

Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
Vancouver as a tourist and Seattle to live.
Vancouver to me is like a resort type of city. It's fun to visit and pretty to look at with a beautiful park and great little Chinatown, some cool little beaches and a thriving shopping street on Robson. Seattle has touristy things too but also a lot more depth and character. The neighborhoods are more unique with better residential architecture, the city is more artsy and cultured as well. Someone mentioned the music scenes between the cities but it goes beyond that. There's just more of a hipness (for lack of a better word) to Seattle where Vancouver has more of a cosmopolitan Asian feel which some might find hip to them. I like both but I prefer Seattle.
This.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:05 PM

20 posts, read 26,129 times
seattle Usa >canada haha. jk

Old 11-18-2009, 03:30 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
I can say as a Seattleite that has also visited Vancouver before, both cities are terrific. Both have their ups, and downs.

Vancouver has more tall buildings and is definitely more liveable downtown. That said, businesses are up and leaving and it feels more like a resort now than a city. Could be good or bad.

Seattle has artistic and wonderful vibe going on that is mostly privately owned / funded. This extends out into the city as well - see C89.5, the only nonstop dance music station in Seattle that is totally run by donations given to high school kids who run the station. And they get world-renowned DJs into their studio like popcorn. It's amazing.

Vancouver also has a great vibe going on, but most of it in my opinion is very commercialized and the artistic and beautiful things of the city are government owned / run.

Vancouver and Seattle are very similar in terms of weather. Gloomy, rainy, chilly winters and GLORIOUS summers.

Vancouver is slightly more cosmopolitan because Canada is seen more as a refuge to immigrants nowadays, and when Hong Kong went back to the commies (China) many Hong Kong residents fled to another British Commonwealth, the closest one there is - Canada. Some went to Australia or New Zealand too, but many went to Vancouver. There's more Japanese in Seattle than Vancouver, but more Chinese in Vancouver. The two in reality are very similar, but Vancouver is slightly more so.

Cost of doing business and living is astronomical in both cities, but Seattle is more affordable in relative terms.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:42 AM

12 posts, read 60,698 times
Bumping a thread that isn't current - but if anyone cares to comment I was wondering about whether Vancouver is all that, or is more trying to be all that? Kind of a split in the comments from this and other threads that makes one wonder. Is Vancouver hype? Or is it actually 100% an elite global cosmopolitan city that belongs on the lists that include it as such?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City