Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:17 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Well...now that this thread got ressurected, I'll offer by 2 cents.

Whenever, I go to New York City(Manhattan and Brooklyn especially), I notice a balance among Black/White relationships. White male/Black females couples are almost as common as the ubiquitous Black male/White female couples in many parts of Manhattan or Brooklyn. This has always stood out to me whenever I visited relatives or took trips over there because, here in Connecticut(which is technically part of the Tri-State) most Black/White couples are overwhelmingly Black male/White female just like most parts of the country. There is stigma towards Black/White pairings among the old school "ethnic whites"(Italian, Irish, Greek, Jewish, Russian) but there is no such stigma with the younger generations generally speaking.

White male/Asian female is one of the most common couples out there too. I remember dining and hanging out at some of the "yuppier" parts of Brooklyn/Manhattan, and I legitimately saw more White male/Asian female couples than White male/White female couples at times. It's probably the second most common mix out there.

As for the most common mix...easily Black male/Hispanic female couples, particularly Caribbean and, sometimes, South American women. The Bronx and Brooklyn has the most of that mix. It depends though. FOB Dominican and Mexican women mostly stick to their own kind but Americanized Latinas, especially Puerto Ricans, mix with Afro-Americans and sometimes West Indians too. A number of these couples involve Afro-Latinas though which sort of offsets the interracial factor but I've seen white-skinned Latinas date black men too in NYC. There's also Latino men with Black women, too, in the Bronx and other parts of NYC to a lesser extent and they tend to be of the same extraction.

White/Hispanic...This mix gets overlooked but in the east Bronx, Staten Island, and parts of Queens, there's a lot of mix between Whites and Hispanics. A lot of the Hispanics involved in these couples tend to be Puerto Rican or Columbian and the whites tend to be Italian, Irish, or some other type of "ethnic white." These Latinos are usually on the whiter side though which is why it often gets overlooked. You won't see too many Dominicans, Mexicans, and Central Americans in relationships with whites in NYC because they're usually less whit typically "fobbier" and live in ethnic enclaves populated by their own and they tend to be more ethnic looking(Mulatto/Afro or Mayan/Indo-Mestizo). It definitely happens though.

Asian male/White female...For some strange reason, it's usually South Asian men, I've seen with white women more than East Asian men in NYC. I've seen plenty of professional or yuppy looking Indian men with good-looking blondes in Manhattan but I rarely see East Asian men with non-Asian women though.

Now, in Queens, most South Asians primarily date their own and there's some Americanized East Asians in places like Bay Ridge so East Asian men/White women couples are probably most common in that burough. I haven't really seen too many Asian men with white women in NYC though.

Black male/Asian female...I've definitely seen this on the rise in NYC. It's usually Japanese and Korean women involved but increasingly Chinese too. Filipino/Black couples can be found in parts of Queens as well. Manhattan and Brooklyn are usually the places with more Black/Asian couples though, even though Queens is the most Asian borough ironically. I also have seen some East Asian women in Black men in the Bronx though, even though Asians are a scarcity in the Bronx. South Asians usually almost never mix with blacks unless they're Indo-Caribbean or Indo-Guyanese.

Asian male/Black female...Like everyelse, it's uncommon, although numbers can be boosted if you include Indian and Chinese men from a Caribbean/Guyanese background.

What NYC truly excels at, though, is with the number of "niche" interracial couples out there. Middle Eastern men with Latinas, Latino men with Chinese girls, Chinese guys with Indian girls, Indo-Trinidadian guys with Afro-Trinidadian girls, etc.

I can't speak for Los Angeles though. I was merely giving my view on NYC interracial dating.
For what it's worth, I haven't noticed that white men who are with Latinas are usually with more European looking Latinas, most of my white friends and I have been with at least one solidly nonwhite looking Hispanic girl. And most of my male Hispanic friends that I can think of (who are solidly mestizo or mulatto looking) have been with at least one white chick. This is my experience in NYC/Long Island.

There's not even a big population of white Hispanics around here, unlike somewhere like Miami with a lot of Cubans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 10:47 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
First of all, there aren't very many white people in Los Angeles to begin with, so most whites are resigned to dating non-whites.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:10 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
First of all, there aren't very many white people in Los Angeles to begin with, so most whites are resigned to dating non-whites.
I'm pretty sure they're the second largest group in LA

Old 05-23-2016, 11:39 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
Quote:
LA city proper has over 1 million white people.....

Old 05-23-2016, 11:41 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,102 times
Quote:
Where does this forum come up with this crap?
And it's always east coast people.

And I've met many Hispanics here who I've mistaken as white.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:22 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsSuck View Post
Why are black men so desperate for non-black women? It is pathetic how thirsty they are for light skin and straight hair.
Hey Genius, where are you getting this information from? Sensationalized, overblown, overstated, media hype accounts, or from personal experience? How many black men do you you know? How many black men are your friends? How many black men have had this explicit conversation with you?

City-data, man...

Old 05-24-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
^^Na, you're not alone. Try joining a dating website like Match and see how many white women explicitly put that they're interested in white men only. I understand it's a personal preference, but it seems a bit rude, when "No Preference" or not even listing Ethnicity would be more tactful.

Fact is, white women are at the top of the heap (especially blondes) and can have their pick. Doesn't help when there are so many stereotypes and negative perceptions of all minority men to begin with. Throw in the fact that New York City (and most major cities, really) is still quite racially segregated in residential areas, and you have a recipe to be viewed as lesser or ignored.

Keep trying, and you'll persevere eventually, but I'd be lying if I said it's going to be easy. It's hard to find a white woman looking to date a minority long term, who isn't just looking for fun. Obviously it's 2016, but yea the issue is still there, and I doubt living in NYC or LA or Hartford or wherever makes much of a difference. It is what it is, but good luck!
I understand your premise and generally agree, but want to add this anecdote:

I've known plenty of white women looking for black male companionship. No more so, oddly enough, than when I was in Atlanta (2013-2015), where this phantom poster says is his location. Everything else, I tend to agree with, but I've known a grip of white women who are interested in black males...

And before anyone attempts to subdivide and categorize these white women culturally or socioeconomically, I'll eliminate that by saying I've seen it across class and culture. I'm not a celebrity or of tantamount wealth, so I can't speak for that group, but honestly, THAT group of people are in the 1-5% anyway, and aren't indicative necessarily of generalizing the common populous...

Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsSuck View Post
Just look at all the successful rich black athletes and entertainers, what is the first thing they do? They buy themselves a nice non-black chick as a status symbol? And you say that it is not pathetic please.
"All" of them. You mean like Stephen Curry, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Harrison Barnes, Derrick Rose, Chris Bosh, Kyle Lowry and Demar Derozan?

Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
"All" of them. You mean like Stephen Curry, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Harrison Barnes, Derrick Rose, Chris Bosh, Kyle Lowry and Demar Derozan?
Or Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Laurence Fishburne, Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, LL Cool J, Jay-Z, and Morris Chestnut?

Old 05-24-2016, 11:34 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Whenever, I go to New York City(Manhattan and Brooklyn especially), I notice a balance among Black/White relationships. White male/Black females couples are almost as common as the ubiquitous Black male/White female couples in many parts of Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Can't say I really notice that. It's not that I don't see it, it's just that it doesn't seem more prevalent than it does in DC.

Compared to the West Coast (or maybe the Bay Area, anyway), NY is much more segregated along social and residential lines. If a venue is playing hip hop, and I'm talking about Top 40 hip hop venue as opposed to a Let's Play Old School 90s Hip Hop to be Different and Ironic venue, then the crowd is going to be 90%+ Black. I feel like it's different out West where a lot of the parties seem to be more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City