Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,579 times

Advertisements

So I am currently in the NW suburbs of Chicago and my fiance is a consultant that is commuting from there to San Fran every week. We are looking for a new place to live with more temperate climates that has apartments for 1000-1500 a month that are going to be bigger than 700 sq. feet. I am leaning towards Houston as I am from Florida originally and would like to be in a warmer climate. However, my fiance seems to think that Houston has no access to insurance/financial industries which is important for his job, but really he can fly from anywhere in the US. Also he just has a prejudice about he South as not being as cultured as the North...

Can anyone tell me how they feel about the culture in Houston?? I am a recent Theatre graduate and I would need for the city to have some larger Fine Arts Venues.

Also if it helps we are in our early 20s and are planning on having kids in the next couple of years and would want to live in a safe area with plenty of restaurants and museums.

Thoughts on Houston vs DC??

Thoughts about financial/insurance industry in Houston?

I would really appreciate it... Thanks!

Last edited by houstoner; 03-25-2009 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Thread moved from Texas forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Houston has an excellents arts and theatre scene. Just google Houston, Tx culture or Theatre District/Houston,Tx and you'll pull up several good links about it. I don't know how the financial/insurance industry is. My mom worked for an airline and my stepdad is in aerospace.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:16 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Most of the finance is concentrated in The Galleria/Uptown Houston area (Stanford was across the Galleria and also had offices inside the office building in the mall aptly dubbed the "Galleria Financial Center"). American General (AIG's subsidiary?) is just outside of Downtown Houston. The professional arts scene is the best of Texas and the South.

D.C. is just Government, lobbying, strategy, and corruption.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:53 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,804 times
I'd pick Houston. More affordable, less of a rat race atomosphere and IMO better weather.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
If DC is just government, then why does it have the third largest downtown (excluding federal office space) in the country?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:49 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
i will take houston because it is safer and cheaper

i love big cities, but dc doesnt do it for me

Old 03-27-2009, 11:26 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrinkman View Post
So I am currently in the NW suburbs of Chicago and my fiance is a consultant that is commuting from there to San Fran every week. We are looking for a new place to live with more temperate climates that has apartments for 1000-1500 a month that are going to be bigger than 700 sq. feet. I am leaning towards Houston as I am from Florida originally and would like to be in a warmer climate. However, my fiance seems to think that Houston has no access to insurance/financial industries which is important for his job, but really he can fly from anywhere in the US.
I'm sure it has insurance/financial industries. Not sure how much in comparison to DC, but it is the nation's 4th largest city and ranks 2nd after NY in Fortune 500 companies... so surely there's something.

Quote:
Also he just has a prejudice about he South as not being as cultured as the North...
That's just it, a prejudice. Meaning a pre-conceived notion based on stereotypes. I think if he actually experienced Houston, he'd be pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how they feel about the culture in Houston?? I am a recent Theatre graduate and I would need for the city to have some larger Fine Arts Venues.
Houston has the 2nd largest downtown theatre district (after NYC's Broadway), an excellent arts/culture scene, and ranks around 3rd in the country in fine arts museum space. I think you'll be fine.

Quote:
Also if it helps we are in our early 20s and are planning on having kids in the next couple of years and would want to live in a safe area with plenty of restaurants and museums.
If you want to start a family soon, I think Houston is definitely the better option. With the exception of some of the most expensive parts of town, you'll have a choice of affordable housing, and good public schools. Once that time comes (that you want to purchase a home), the people in the Houston forum are usually very helpful about different parts of town/neighborhoods in which to look for your needs.

Hope that helps...

Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post

Why do you always have this impression of DC being so dangerous? You posted in the Dallas vs DC that Dallas was better because DC was so dangerous when DC actually has a lower crime rate. Houston has a lower crime rate than DC, but not by much at all. The violent crime in DC happens in areas that you have to purpose being in anyway.

I understand that you don't like DC. That's fine, everyone has different opinions. I just completely disagree on basing it on the crime. DC is not even close to the murder capital like it was in the 90s.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:57 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
If DC is just government, then why does it have the third largest downtown (excluding federal office space) in the country?
Lobbyists, think tanks, political strategy firms. They are big businesses by themselves. (Not bashing D.C., I'd actually like to work in one of those firms!)

Old 03-28-2009, 07:59 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post

Let me guess?? No skyscrapers?? I know it's your opinion, but just asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City