Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee(7) -vs- Cleveland(8)
Milwaukee aka: Brew City 82 56.16%
Cleveland aka: C-Town 64 43.84%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:56 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Having Chicago only 30min away is an asset not a liability. Would you rather live in the twin cities where it seems like you are 8 hours away from another city.
Chicago is not only 30 minutes from Milwaukee, it's anywhere from 1hr 30-45min train ride. And anywhere from 1hr 30min to a little over 2hrs if driving, depending on where in the city your leaving from/going to and traffic.

Quote:
Being apart of the Chicagoland area is a huge plus for Milwaukee
Milwaukee is not part of the Chicagoland area. I live in Chicago and the majority of people from Chicago would definitely disagree with that statement. There are tons of people in Chicago who don't even realize that Milwaukee is that close just because a lot of people in this city don't really think about Milwaukee (which, in my opinion, is pretty unfortunate since Milwaukee is a nice little city).

Anyways, to get back on topic, I think Milwaukee beats out Cleveland. I've been to both cities, and both have their good and bad neighborhoods, both have pretty decent nightlife, good restaurants, good cultural amenities, friendly people, and good professional sports. But what impressed me about Milwaukee is that it is surprisingly very liveable in the sense that (atleast the areas of the city that I was in) it was clean, had some great outdoor amenities such as well-maintained parks and beaches, and it was surprsingly very walkable. The lakeshore is stunning as well, especially with the Milwaukee Art Museum. Milwaukee also seems to have more development/revitalization projects going on than Cleveland. When I went to Cleveland, although I did have a very good time there, it's not a place that I've felt the need to go back to. The first time I went to Milwaukee, I went solely to see the Milwaukee Art Museum's Pavillion designed by Santiago Calatrava. I had a fun time there, and I've gone back a couple times. I guess Milwaukee left much more of an impression on me than Cleveland did. Just my two cents. (Keep in mind that this is just about the cities themselves, not the whole metropolitan areas. I don't know very much about the suburbs of either one of those two cities.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,149 times
Quote:
Having Chicago only 30min away is an asset not a liability. Would you rather live in the twin cities where it seems like you are 8 hours away from another city.
Yeah but it only takes 4 maybe 5 hours to get to Chicago from Cleveland. Cleveland is also closer to NYC, Philly, and Toronto. Plus Niagara Falls. Thats not including all the other large cities Cleveland is closer to than Milwaukee.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Chicago is not only 30 minutes from Milwaukee, it's anywhere from 1hr 30-45min train ride. And anywhere from 1hr 30min to a little over 2hrs if driving, depending on where in the city your leaving from/going to and traffic.
Lets see it takes me from the Milwaukee Airport to Roosevelt Ave in Chicago exactly one hour so therefore I can say it only takes and hour. I drive 80mph.

Quote:
Milwaukee is not part of the Chicagoland area.
Statistically it's not but what are we splitting hairs? If Grundy County is included then Milwaukee should be also if Porter County in Indiana are Chicagoland then Milwaukee should be also or at least Chicago CSA.

Quote:
I live in Chicago and the majority of people from Chicago would definitely disagree with that statement.
There is a segment of Chicago people that think their only Rival or city they should be compared to is New York, the same goes for baseball. Their many fans in Chicago that hate the fact that the Brewers are a rival of the Cubs, it's this oh we are Chicago and how dare Milwaukee even be considered a rival their too small for us to be considered a rival. Not all Chicagoan's but a lot. I remember the first few times I went down to Chicago, I got the "do you have paved roads up there yet" or "I hear you're getting electricity soon up in Milwaukee" or " do you have running water up there". So I know what you are saying when you say some people don't even want to acknowledge or give Milwaukee any credit in any shape or form, b/c we are not on Chicago's level, which is true. We are in no way near Chicago's level but we aren't the Louisiana of the North either.

Quote:
Chicago is not only 30 minutes from Milwaukee,
I was speaking in terms of suburbs to suburbs and actually they touch one another. Since Kenosha is a suburb of Chicago and Racine is a suburb of Milwaukee it is one big area.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 PM

46 posts, read 143,608 times
I've gotten from where 894 in MKE ends to Western Ave/Lawrence in Chicago in just over an hour of driving.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:51 PM

I will say this, I rarely drive during rush hour and if I'm coming in to go out I usually leave Milwaukee around 7 or 8pm on a Friday and I never have a problem with traffic. I take the Edens down to Randolph and I'm at my buddy's house. At the most it takes me an hour and a half but never over that. Like I said I drive 80 and I weave so you might as well call me the transporter.

From Ryan Rd in Oak Creek down to the circle is only 75 miles so it's very easy to make it there in an hour.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:20 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Anyways, to get back on topic, I think Milwaukee beats out Cleveland. I've been to both cities, and both have their good and bad neighborhoods, both have pretty decent nightlife, good restaurants, good cultural amenities, friendly people, and good professional sports. But what impressed me about Milwaukee is that it is surprisingly very liveable in the sense that (atleast the areas of the city that I was in) it was clean, had some great outdoor amenities such as well-maintained parks and beaches, and it was surprsingly very walkable. The lakeshore is stunning as well, especially with the Milwaukee Art Museum. Milwaukee also seems to have more development/revitalization projects going on than Cleveland. When I went to Cleveland, although I did have a very good time there, it's not a place that I've felt the need to go back to. The first time I went to Milwaukee, I went solely to see the Milwaukee Art Museum's Pavillion designed by Santiago Calatrava. I had a fun time there, and I've gone back a couple times. I guess Milwaukee left much more of an impression on me than Cleveland did. Just my two cents. (Keep in mind that this is just about the cities themselves, not the whole metropolitan areas. I don't know very much about the suburbs of either one of those two cities.)
A fair observation I think. Milwaukee's best urban areas are close to downtown, where as Cleveland's are a few miles outside of downtown in either direction with some being in the inner burbs. If you venture out further from the downtowns I think you would find that Cleveland has better overall suburban areas. The Cleveland suburb of Lakewood is actually very similar to the neighborhoods in Milwaukee going north from downtown, although you are correct about Milwaukee having more new development.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:27 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Yeah but it only takes 4 maybe 5 hours to get to Chicago from Cleveland. Cleveland is also closer to NYC, Philly, and Toronto. Plus Niagara Falls. Thats not including all the other large cities Cleveland is closer to than Milwaukee.
Cleveland to Chicago is more like 5.5-6 hours drive. I make this drive several times a year.

You bring up a good point though. New York, Philly, DC, Toronto, Chicago, and the Mountains are doable weekend road trips from Cleveland. The options for such trips from Chicago or Milwaukee are nowhere near as appealing.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:35 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Who cares about which one is more urban? Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a NFL team (Packers are NEVER moving to Milwaukee. NEVER), and is close to one of the best theme parks in the World (Cedar Point)!!!

Add to this the fact that Cleveland is a "stand alone" city at the northern edge of a CSA population with nearly 3 million people. Metro Milwaukee has 1.7 million at best.

Milwaukee is not so much a stand alone city (like Cleveland). Milwaukee is NEVER visited without folks stopping in Chicago before or after. In this case, Milwaukee is kinda like the "Baltimore" of the Midwest. No one goes to B-more without seeing DC before or after.

With this said, Cleveland wins hands down!

Old 09-21-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
and is close to one of the best theme parks in the World (Cedar Point)!!!
Are you forgetting about 6 Flags just south of the WI border?

Quote:
Metro Milwaukee has 1.7 million at best.
2.1 million but Cleveland metro is still bigger but size isn't the sole factor.

Quote:
Milwaukee is not so much a stand alone city (like Cleveland).
Milwaukee is a stand alone city and is close to Chicago, since when is being close to one of the big 3 a bad thing?

Quote:
Milwaukee is NEVER visited without folks stopping in Chicago before or after.
DUH? Why would somebody travel to Milwaukee and not take an hour to go see Chicago however on the flip side we get tourists that would have never came to Milwaukee if they weren't already in Chicago.

How many people actually say hey let's go to Cleveland! not more than the people that say hey since were in Chicago let's go to Milwaukee to see a Brewer game or the Art Museum or the Harley Davidson Museum or one of the many Brewery tours? I know people do this b/c I have run into them.

PS: Do the browns have fans?

Old 09-21-2009, 04:24 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Are you forgetting about 6 Flags just south of the WI border?
If you are talking about Great America in CHICAGO, you obviously haven't been to Cedar Point. Bottom line, Cedar has bigger, faster, and better coasters. Period.

Quote:
2.1 million but Cleveland metro is still bigger but size isn't the sole factor.
If you are so sure of this 2 point whatever, post the link. (and don't post some link to Milwaukee's Convention and Visitor's Bureau either.) I would like to see a third party link that says Milwaukee has 2 point whatever in its metro please.
Quote:
Milwaukee is a stand alone city and is close to Chicago, since when is being close to one of the big 3 a bad thing?
Its not a "good" thing. Its not a "bad" thing. It is a "without Chicago, Milwaukee probably would not thrive" thing. Cleveland stands alone. Those are the facts.
Quote:
DUH? Why would somebody travel to Milwaukee and not take an hour to go see Chicago however on the flip side we get tourists that would have never came to Milwaukee if they weren't already in Chicago.

How many people actually say hey let's go to Cleveland! not more than the people that say hey since were in Chicago let's go to Milwaukee to see a Brewer game or the Art Museum or the Harley Davidson Museum or one of the many Brewery tours? I know people do this b/c I have run into them.

PS: Do the browns have fans?
Well, neither Milwaukee nor Cleveland made the Forbes list of America's 30 most visited cities. Chicago did (surprise, surprise!!!) In this category, neither city really have any bragging rights. Cleveland is still a better city IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City