Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee(7) -vs- Cleveland(8)
Milwaukee aka: Brew City 82 56.16%
Cleveland aka: C-Town 64 43.84%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Yup! the brewers are going to sweep the Indians.
Good, we don't want scrub teams relocating down here!!! GO BREWERS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Oh no!!!!!!! The brewers just gave up 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th!!! I spoke too soon. Free baseball from here on and out.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Milwaukee.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
G

Old 07-30-2009, 09:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Have been to both several times. Lived in Chicago...and dated a girl in college from Madison, OH so I was up there in the winter...
Must say, much prefer Milwaukee at least as a city to go have a fun weekend in.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Have been to both several times. Lived in Chicago...and dated a girl in college from Madison, OH so I was up there in the winter...
Hahaha... Madison, Ohio is not Cleveland, sorry. Not even close. It takes me the same amount of time to drive to Canton, OH as it would Madison.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:00 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Hahaha... Madison, Ohio is not Cleveland, sorry. Not even close. It takes me the same amount of time to drive to Canton, OH as it would Madison.
Nor is Chicago, Milwaukee. The point was I was in the area and have visited both many times. I also went to Cleveland after George Harrison died and many stops while driving through.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Interesting. I actually grew up not to far from Madison, OH. Being a native of Northeast Ohio I am very familiar with Cleveland. Living in Chicago has given me the opportunity to explore Milwaukee and have some nights out on the town there. Checked out downtown, 3rd Ward, Brady Street area, and much of the north side neighborhoods and burbs. Milwaukee is a pretty cool city, but from an entertainment aspect I think Cleveland is better. To me Cleveland seems to have more of a variety of nightlife options and amenities. I have not been everywhere in Milwaukee, but I think I hit the hightlights pretty good and was guided by some locals. The big advantages I see Milwaukee having over Cleveland is the lakefront and also that it has nicer neighborhoods directly adjacent to downtown.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Milwaukee's lakefront near downtown blows Cleveland's away, no doubt. And the Lower East Side and Brady (esp near/on the lakefront are great). Riverwalk, right now, bests our Flats (and bests the Chicago river, for amenities/residences, for that part). Shorewood's a nice close in suburb; grand old homes...

But that's where Milwaukee's advantages end. OK, maybe Cleveland's near-downtown Ohio City is not quite as compelling as Milwaukee's Lower East side, but O.City, with it's historic West Side Market, hip/vibrant restaurants and miles of restored Victorian houses, is hardly anybody’s chopped liver... And besides, Cleveland's Edgewater/Gold Coast, though a tad further out from downtown that Mil's Lower East Side/Brady, but it offers many of the compelling aspects the Lower East Side does: fancy modern Lakefront high-rises; nearby upscale mixed-use, trendy retail/restaurant areas (along Clifton and Detroit), much old classic apt structures, high-end old & new houses hugging the lakeshore (inside Cleveland in Edgewater)... There's no cultural area in Brew City that can touch University Circle; and for hospitals, Cleveland's #2 hospital, University Hospital, trumps anything Milwaukee has to offer (and let's not even mention the words Cleveland Clinic). Culturally, again Cleveland leaves Milwaukee in the dust -- nothing approaching: Playhouse Square in terms of a core of grand theatres in one place (no city has anything like it save Broadway, itself; the (top 3 in the US) Cleveland Orchestra, The Art Museum -- yeah, I know, Milwaukee's is trendy and pretty/modern, but can't touch the CMA in terms of collections (size and diversity) and the grandness of the classic Italian Renaissance on the Lagoon; Cleveland’s prestige university is Top-50 Case Western, Milwaukee’s: Marquette U – not even Top 100 by most raters; Milwaukee has nothing approaching a Shaker Heights, in terms of sheer force of beauty, prestige, schools, etc. and, as a group, there's nothing approaching the Heights area-to-the Chagrin valley in terms of quality, upscale and sheer beautiful setting/living (hell, Cleveland’s “weaker” (than the East Side) suburban group, the West Side/Lakeshore, suburbs blows away any similar group of Milwaukee suburbs; nothing like the cluster of Sports facilities (3 new stadiums) right downtown, w/in walking distance of one another and all directly served by rapid rail transit -- with CSU's NCAA-ready Wolstein basketball center just a few blocks,...

... oh, and did I mention Cleveland’s 4-line rapid transit? ... well, Skyscraper City has a 100-odd page thread asking the question: will Milwaukee ever see rail transit? ... Oops! 'nuff said.

... Yeah, I know, Milwaukee’s the hot trendy choice for a lot of posters, probably because so many posters are exposed to it, more than C-town, because of Brew City's closeness to Chicago.... and yeah, would I prefer Cleveland being a 1-hour drive from one of the sexiest, hottest cities in the world? Of course, obviously… But you can’t have everything and you should rate cities by what they are, in themselves, not by what other city’s close to them… And on most measuring sticks, both those I've noted and not noted, Cleveland whips Milwaukee, hands down.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:36 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,829,576 times
Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City