Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's nicer?
SoCal 18 54.55%
Bay Area 15 45.45%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:38 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
I mean there are nice people. But it isn't super nice like the Midwest is nice. Like you don't say hi to random people on the street like you do in the midwest, or have conversations with the grocery store clerk. Those things do happen in CA, but it isn't the norm like it is in the midwest. I'm a native CA (lived in the Bay Area and LA area), who is residing in WI for school, so I can tell the differences.
Ahh, I see what you mean. I actually say hi or get into conversations very often with random people on the street but only in SF did I ever get into conversations with store workers but you are right people here aren't the nicest unless you open up first and even then it's win or lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
I've had good experiences with people in San Diego. Usually when I pass someone on the street or somewhere they make eye contact and smile, nod, or say hi. And people start up conversations in the line at the store somewhat often with me or others around me, whether its the cashier or just other customers in line. And I'm not some ultra happy, outgoing person either. It's not like Southern hospitality nice like I've experianced in New Orleans, but its cool that so many people seem to be in a good mood and are friendly here. I didn't really have those experiences in the Bay Area nearly as much or LA for that matter. I think people here are pretty friendly and open, but I wouldn't say they're better overall, just nicer.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
The saying 'hi' to strangers is something which has declined significantly here in Western Australia. Just a note to all American tourists, we're not as friendly as we were 10 years...Except in rural areas where people are still friendly.

Yes, actually most of the American tourists I've met have been Midwesterners and they seemed very friendly, more so than most Aussies. It's nice to know they'll still have a chat to a stranger.etc. I personally think too many tourists can make people less friendly to them, and it's actually smaller towns where people are nicer and more hospitable.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:19 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,519 times
I Can't vote They both Have Nice people Together We Are Cali!!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:13 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I really don't think one is better than the other overall but those stereotypes do exist for a reason and there are people that fit those descriptions in each area. It seems a lot of transplants are the ones that come off like stereotypes more often than not, probably b/c they were attracted to CA by them. Some also let living in CA go to their head thinking it makes them special or something and then they act like jerks. It's a mixed bag overall, I love and am also annoyed by the different types of people in each part of the state.
Really interesting point. I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would add my two cents to this discussion.

I've been living in SoCal for two years, and have only been up to the Bay area a few times for combined work/fun few days at a time.

I will say this: A lot of transplants to California who have either lived in the Bay Area for a while then moved to LA area, or just those who vastly prefer SF to LA, have a tendency to be probing, nosy, inquisitive, grilling, judgmental, prone to unsolicited advice when it comes to my education and politics.

They do have a little more black and white attitudes/you're either with us or against us about everything liberal, and often want to know detailed specifics about where I went to school, what I studied, what credentials I needed to do what I do for work, etc., etc.

There is a little more sizing up, as liberal politics and higher education seems to be very important to those people who have lived in for a long time or prefer the Bay Area.

Now, I know this is not everyone, but I will say that as someone who does have a Masters, does teach community college as an adjunct, and someone who is more liberal than conservative, but more moderate/what do I really know kind of way, I find that kind of grilling, probing, very uncomfortable and makes me insecure.

In this way I think SoCal is actually more laid back. To me the whole fancy cars you can't afford, plastic surgery/enhancement/dropping names, even the obsession over yoga/sushi to be more a funny and entertaining aspect of SoCal, because I can have a thriving social life with lots of people, that are far removed from any of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City