Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most famous people?
LA 103 67.76%
NYC 42 27.63%
Miami 4 2.63%
Chicago 3 1.97%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Feathers should not be ruffled by facts.
What facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 AM

857 posts, read 1,364,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
What facts?
Let me preface this with I'm familiar with your style of posting and I will only address you this once about this topic.

The fact is that New York and Philadelphia are among the top of the list when it comes to famous people from the area in music and film. That's not an opinion but it's just what it is, you're more than capable of looking at the Wikipedia list for both cities. The fact is also as I said NYC and LA are the top two destinations For celeberities for obvious reasons with Atlanta being big with AA celebs. That's all.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
When it comes to famous people who are from the city, then yeah, it is.

Whether you like it or not. Check the stat sheet sometime. Only NYC has produced more famous, influential people than Philadelphia has. LA? Nope. Anywhere on the West Coast? Nope. Anywhere in the South? Nope. Anywhere in the Southwest? Northwest? Nope. The only two cities that have a shot against Philadelphia in that regard are Detroit and Chicago. New Orleans has produced the most outside of those cities I'd say though.
Could you point me to the stat sheet?
Don't just start throwing out names of a few people, I want to see the stats.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Let me preface this with I'm familiar with your style of posting and I will only address you this once about this topic.

The fact is that New York and Philadelphia are among the top of the list when it comes to famous people from the area in music and film. That's not an opinion but it's just what it is, you're more than capable of looking at the Wikipedia list for both cities. The fact is also as I said NYC and LA are the top two destinations For celeberities for obvious reasons with Atlanta being big with AA celebs. That's all.
You do realize the wiki can be edited by a 3 year old, don't you?

Old 02-23-2012, 03:57 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
1.la
2.nyc
3.chi/mia/atl
4.hou/phi/dc
5.sf/dal/bos
6.sd/pho/no
7.sea/den/lv

Old 02-23-2012, 01:00 PM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Could you point me to the stat sheet?
Don't just start throwing out names of a few people, I want to see the stats.
I love how posters try to tell other people what to do.

Check it out yourself. There's plenty of people from Philadelphia that people don't even know are from Philadelphia, like Richard Gere for one. The best, most famous actors and musicians and even athletes when it comes to basketball have majorly come from Philadelphia and NYC for decades. There are exceptions of course, but it's still where the majority have come from.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:45 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
I love how posters try to tell other people what to do.

Check it out yourself. There's plenty of people from Philadelphia that people don't even know are from Philadelphia, like Richard Gere for one. The best, most famous actors and musicians and even athletes when it comes to basketball have majorly come from Philadelphia and NYC for decades. There are exceptions of course, but it's still where the majority have come from.
Hoops, ok. Way to be selective. Now maybe you can try explaining why the northeast so grossly under-produces NFL talent, and why CA beans it in baseball.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^nice shoe horn....

Anyway.
I think the poll has it right: LA, NY, Miami. Then the rest....

Actually NY and LA then all others; everyplace else including Miami, LV, Atlanta, Chicago wherever are so far below NY and LA in this regard

Miami is maybe a retreat but not the residense and not at the level of LA and NYC

there is only two answers (NYC/LA), both are close

Old 02-23-2012, 01:53 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
When it comes to famous people who are from the city, then yeah, it is.

Whether you like it or not. Check the stat sheet sometime. Only NYC has produced more famous, influential people than Philadelphia has. LA? Nope. Anywhere on the West Coast? Nope. Anywhere in the South? Nope. Anywhere in the Southwest? Northwest? Nope. The only two cities that have a shot against Philadelphia in that regard are Detroit and Chicago. New Orleans has produced the most outside of those cities I'd say though.
How do you even measure which city has produced the most famous people? You can get an ideal of which city has the most famous people living there, but how do you measure how many famous people are from X city? I can name PLENTY of famous people from Philly, but then again I can name plenty of famous people originally from LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. Especially in this day and age with the super popularity of reality shows, and the advent of the "reality show celebrity" in which the people in those reality shows come from all over the US. If X reality show person becomes famous for being a crazy person on that reality show and their in all sorts of commercials and endorsements now, and that person happens to be from Billings Montana, than Billings Montana just gained celebrity.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Hoops, ok. Way to be selective. Now maybe you can try explaining why the northeast so grossly under-produces NFL talent, and why CA beans it in baseball.

Actually am pretty sure PA overindexes to population in the NFL; if you look at the NFL HOF, way over-indexes though on the whole you are right on the NE, underindexes relative to population as a whole to the NFL

CA is even more dominant in Baseball I believe. My Phils are loaded with Cali kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City