Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most famous people?
LA 103 67.76%
NYC 42 27.63%
Miami 4 2.63%
Chicago 3 1.97%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:04 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually am pretty sure PA overindexes to population in the NFL; if you look at the NFL HOF, way over-indexes though on the whole you are right on the NE, underindexes relative to population as a whole to the NFL

CA is even more dominant in Baseball I believe. My Phils are loaded with Cali kids
Your even-handedness is killing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Your even-handedness is killing me.

Well it is hard to generate football players in such dense areas

Is that better

Cali and Florida seem to produce a ton of athletes overall; probably weather related honestly; more chances to play, dunno

Old 02-23-2012, 02:31 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
cincinnati, ohio clearly deserves a spot in the poll. We have so many famous people here including the best violin player in the world.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Is that better

Cali and Florida seem to produce a ton of athletes overall; probably weather related honestly; more chances to play, dunno
You're probably correct; I was just trying to be a polemical jerk. Which seemed appropriate given the temperature of the room.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
You're probably correct; I'm was just trying to be a polemical jerk. Which seemed appropriate given the temperature of the room.

I got it actually

Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
Quote:
Hoops, ok. Way to be selective. Now maybe you can try explaining why the northeast so grossly under-produces NFL talent, and why CA beans it in baseball.
It's called being OBJECTIVE.

First of all, we are going to make one thing very clear: California does not now nor has it ever produced the most, best baseball talent in the country. That's a hard category to pin down to one area but I'd say the South and Midwest probably produce the best baseball talent.

Either way, when it comes to actual urban sports, California can't now nor will they ever be able to touch Philly or its metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
How do you even measure which city has produced the most famous people? You can get an ideal of which city has the most famous people living there, but how do you measure how many famous people are from X city? I can name PLENTY of famous people from Philly, but then again I can name plenty of famous people originally from LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. Especially in this day and age with the super popularity of reality shows, and the advent of the "reality show celebrity" in which the people in those reality shows come from all over the US. If X reality show person becomes famous for being a crazy person on that reality show and their in all sorts of commercials and endorsements now, and that person happens to be from Billings Montana, than Billings Montana just gained celebrity.
By looking it up.

Philly and New York have produced the highest amount of famous, influential people in film and music for decades now.

Quote:

Is that better

Actually, it's because down South they take football a lot more seriously, bringing in coaches that are much better than the ones we have up here for the most part, and all of the emphasis is on football, which makes it a lot more intense and puts a lot more pressure on kids and pushes them in a way that kids around here don't get pushed.

Football is huge around here, too of course, and so is baseball, but we don't have the type of coaching that produces those athletes that the South does and the most athletic kids are more likely to play basketball than football or baseball.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
It's called being OBJECTIVE.

First of all, we are going to make one thing very clear: California does not now nor has it ever produced the most, best baseball talent in the country. That's a hard category to pin down to one area but I'd say the South and Midwest probably produce the best baseball talent.

Either way, when it comes to actual urban sports, California can't now nor will they ever be able to touch Philly or its metro.
You know what baseball is, right?

Not only is this a very easy “category to pin down”, your assertion is about the most verifiably false statement I’ve ever read on this board.

California produces more MLB players than the next two largest producing states combined. MLB: Top 10 States Our Favorite Baseball Stars Call Home | Bleacher Report CA out-produces NJ on a per capita basis 2:1, and “sports passionate” NY by over 4:1. Players by birthplace : New York Baseball Stats and Info - Baseball-Reference.com Again, per capita.

You were saying?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
define "famous"

Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 AM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
Quote:
You know what baseball is, right?

Not only is this a very easy “category to pin down”, your assertion is about the most verifiably false statement I’ve ever read on this board.

California produces more MLB players than the next two largest producing states combined. MLB: Top 10 States Our Favorite Baseball Stars Call Home | Bleacher Report CA out-produces NJ on a per capita basis 2:1, and “sports passionate” NY by over 4:1. Players by birthplace : New York Baseball Stats and Info - Baseball-Reference.com Again, per capita.

You were saying?
That doesn't mean anything. California is a giant state.

It also doesn't have anything to do with who produces the best talent. If you want to look up who produces the best talent, you do it by going by who produces the BEST players in the MLB, not just the most.

But always amusing to see the condescension thrown my way by Cali boosters. Keep it up.

Also, Bleacher Report? Since when is that an acceptable source?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Also, Bleacher Report? Since when is that an acceptable source?
Just as acceptable as your stat sheet which we have yet to see.

And in regards to you earlier statement about the majority of basketball players coming from NYC and Philly, wrong.
California has produced the most NBA and ABA players with 321 and while NY may be second with 290, Illinois has produced more than PA.

As far as baseball players, CA has the top spot with 2012 of the 15,535 all time major league players.

For current number of NFL players Ca, TX and FL have the top spots by far with 251, 211, 184 respectively. Of the remaining states only Ohio has over 100.

Stop being such a homer and actually look up some facts before getting so bent because someone calls you on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City