Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:52 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times

Advertisements

I don't particularly like long periods of gray skies without seeing the sun. Other than that, I have no beef with the North (or any other part of the country for that matter).

Old 05-03-2009, 02:55 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
People, it's irrelevant weather you bash the North, or you bash the South, or you bash the Midwest, or the Southwest. The fact of the matter is that there are very few really great places in the United States period.

But certain regions have higher concentrations of those few great places. The Northeast, and the upper West Coast.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:56 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I have no problem with the North (I don't even really identify with the South either), there are just a few posters on here that have very bad superiority complexes.
Points for you. I just love America, well whats left of it anyway.
Whenever I think anything is bad I just go back to memories of the military days spending time in places I would rather forget..

That seems to be the issues anymore. We are spending so much time being so petty that we are ignoring the real issues facing the overall sovereignty of our nation as a whole.

As a born Southern person, SCV'r etc., I for one realize that the War of Northern Aggression was over in 1865. Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been 144 years now. Frankly, our next civil war is going on right now and a shot is not even being fired. So maybe folks we should not worry about what we HATE in regard to the North and South, but what we need to do to survive and hold onto what made America the greatest nation in the world.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
People on this board are always bashing the South( I admit I do that to) people,culture,mentality etc.. So I thought I would give a chance for people to express why they hate the North.

I live in the North and love it here and I would love to hear from others( especially from the South) why they hate the North.
I lived in both the North and the South. But to be objective, the South gives you more bang for your buck (i.e. buying house/property, outdoor recreational activites most of the year, people more helpful/ friendly).

Old 05-03-2009, 03:24 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I have no problem with the North (I don't even really identify with the South either), there are just a few posters on here that have very bad superiority complexes.
Good point. Given the size of this forum, this (unfortunately) is true of almost every place represented here. I can think of a few members from my neck of the woods that make me cringe when I see their name (and my state's name) right above what they say. I know a bunch (but not all by any means) of posters from Texas have done more harm than good in "defense" of places like Houston. Same goes for Boston, New York City, Atlanta and so on.

The problem with communities like this is that the way SOME (can't emphasize that enough) people post here can give you a real negative taste for a certain area without every having stepped foot in that region (or even having met someone from that area in person).

On the flip-side, I've been impressed with the tone in this thread so far given the potential for a real negative streak as a result of the title thread (these "negative" toned threads bring out the worst in forum members sometimes).

I guess it's a testament to that Southern kindness. I'm sure a bunch of people could come up with a list a mile long of what they hate about the North (we ALL have places we just plain hate) but refrain from doing so in the interest of not starting a battle. Again, I'm impressed.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:32 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I don't dislike the Northerners in the North, but I do hate most of the ones that move to the South and constantly bash our culture and way of life.
I totally sympathize with you. I'll never understand "bashing" a way of life simply because it's different from your own. There are certain lifestyles I will avoid living at all costs because I don't prefer them; but just because I don't like them doesn't mean they suit another person very well (unless it's something like neo-nazism which is harmful and detrimental to society). I guess I just detest when people dislike things simply because it's different than their preference.

Every place in this country is different and we're better for it. If everywhere in the U.S. was the same, it would be a depressing place to live. It's that diversity of of landscapes, cityscapes, lifestyles, cultures, etc that make the U.S. a great place to live. While the U.S. wouldn't be the same without New York City, it would be terrible if the whole country were just like New York City. The same goes for everywhere.

For the record, those morons who moved from the North and bash your culture are probably just as miserable and disliked by their neighbors back North. Some people just like to make other people unhappy. It's an inferiority complex. There's a difference in being proud of where your from and being just plain ignorant.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:36 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
That is so true, heck ask any upstater in NY and you will get more of an ear full about the leftist in NYC soaking them to support their welfare state. Sometimes I think upstate NY'rs hate NYC more than, well anybody.
I hate to admit it, but you do hear that from many Upstaters. Sad, but true. I'm not one of them though.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:39 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
As a person born in Upstate NY from parents originally from South Carolina and Mississippi, I can't hate on anything East of the Mississippi really. West of the Mississippi, I can't honestly comment on.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:51 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I can't think of alot of reasons to hate the north as a whole. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for a short while and I have been in the South for most of my life. I am the son of a northern transplant, so that, and my own experiences living in the South make it kind of easy for me to point out anything bad about the places from Mississippi to South Carolina. Actually, I lived in South Carolina for 2 years and I have been living in Georgia since 1994. My impression about South Carolina is that it felt somewhat regressive and not much going in(I was living there from 1992-1994).
My beef about the North might be that in some places the taxes can be quite high. Other than that, I can't find alot of reasons to hate on the North. I might be able to if I lived there myself for 16 to 17 years. Some people talk about the cold weather being a bad thing. I love snow and I love playing in it. The cold doesn't bother me one bit. I know about the taxes in the north. If the violence is an issue, I am here to tell everyone that some of the most violent cities in the USA are in the South. Yes, you have cities with high rates of violence, such as Newark, Detroit, Gary, Cleveland. Then again, you have places like Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans, Miami, Memphis, that are also very dangerous. Honestly, experience can be the biggest factor. The crowded places, well, to me, that comes with being in a major city. At least in a city you can find alot of things to do.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:52 PM

970 posts, read 2,951,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

But certain regions have higher concentrations of those few great places. The Northeast, and the upper West Coast.
Is this a joke?

The north:

Dirty rundown brownfields, people crammed in like sardines, a "me" mentality, no native cuisine (all of it was imported from Italy or some other country), intolerant of those not from there, intolerant of others period, cold, grey skies, damp & dank, ugly women, taxation, liberalism run amok. No wonder people want to move out of there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City