Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,093,509 times

Advertisements

What are the main cultural differences you notice between those areas in the West( Pacific Coast, Rockies) and the East (Atlantic Seaboard)? In terms of habits, people, dress, customs.etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,356,827 times
The west is more polite. We also employ eating utensils at the table and have sewer systems. The eastern folk pray to lichen, as well. Other than that, it's pretty much the same.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:26 PM

343 posts, read 1,385,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What are the main cultural differences you notice between those areas in the West( Pacific Coast, Rockies) and the East (Atlantic Seaboard)? In terms of habits, people, dress, customs.etc.

People who live out west tend to be less formal, more independent, and less class oriented. Having lived in both places I also think people out west embrace an outdoors culture more.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:39 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,141,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
I also think people out west embrace an outdoors culture more.
I think this is the biggest difference. There are other differences, but this is the most profound IMO.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,033,627 times
I was talking with this new girl from MA the other day and she said that there is a different mentality here, I havent been to the East so I cant really say.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:51 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,129,534 times
Eastern people have more of a sense of place because their areas have been established for up to 400+ years, while the western US only 160 years at most.

Aside from in the Bay Area, where people are OBSESSED with the Giants and 49ers, people out West aren't nearly as loyal to their sports teams as people back East (in the Midwest, Northeast and South).

People on the West Coast, not so sure about the Mountain States, are more open to multiculturalism.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:15 AM

8,634 posts, read 10,161,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Eastern people have more of a sense of place because their areas have been established for up to 400+ years, while the western US only 160 years at most.

Aside from in the Bay Area, where people are OBSESSED with the Giants and 49ers, people out West aren't nearly as loyal to their sports teams as people back East (in the Midwest, Northeast and South).

People on the West Coast, not so sure about the Mountain States, are more open to multiculturalism.
You don't know your history much, do you?

Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 AM

76 posts, read 207,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The west is more polite. We also employ eating utensils at the table and have sewer systems. The eastern folk pray to lichen, as well. Other than that, it's pretty much the same.
/humor.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:31 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,936,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
You don't know your history much, do you?
He is kind of right. When talking about European culture, and developed cities in America he is right. When talking Spanish culture he is wrong. Yes the Spanish were settled in the West before the Europeans started to settle the North East, but the actual developed cities are much older on the east.

I noticed a lot of the outdoor mountian hippie douche types always said "thats Gnarly dude" when I lived in Colorado. Like what is this, Pauly Shore in the 80s.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 AM

8,634 posts, read 10,161,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
He is kind of right. When talking about European culture, and developed cities in America he is right. When talking Spanish culture he is wrong. Yes the Spanish were settled in the West before the Europeans started to settle the North East, but the actual developed cities are much older on the east.

I noticed a lot of the outdoor mountian hippie douche types always said "thats Gnarly dude" when I lived in Colorado. Like what is this, Pauly Shore in the 80s.
I think he said established cities, but maybe meant developed.

In any case, let's not forget that the Spanish are still considered Europeans, not to be confused with the Paleo-Indians who inhabited some areas in the west nearly 10,000 years prior. Of course the actual developed cities are much older on the east, but even to state that the Western cities are only established in the last 160 years at most is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City