Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:12 AM

467 posts, read 874,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
^^^So what do you make of NYC's elevated trains?

And the average 4 story building blocks more sunlight than elevated tracks
Aboslutely positively horrible. Did you think I would defend NY's L since I do not like Chicago's L????

When I say "blocking the sun" I mean the track over street, like Wells in the Loop.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:26 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
I can't stand it. I am walking on Wells, near Randoplh and all of a sudden the train goes by, making a terrible screeching noise as it turns...
Everyone is subjected to this horrible treat: adulds, kids, even mothers with children in strollers... What is that? - I ask - this is the Chicago L, proudly answer my Chicago associates, pointing at the technological marvel circa. 1880. I am looking with disbelief, are they actually proud the city never got around to replacing elevated lines with a subway system as in all other world-class cities? Yes. They aren't kidding. Only in Chicago.
Cry me a river. If the "El" train bothers you that much than you shouldn't be in a city anyway.

Go live in the burbs or a small town where you won't be nearly driven insane from the city noitse.

NYC, LA, San Fran, Chicago are all loud places. Dense places are noisy. When you live in the city you get used to it. If it wasn't the train it'd be the sirens, if it isn't the sirens it would be the neighbors.

There's give and take wherever you move too. I personally like the EL trains. And I live RIGHT next to them.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Cry me a river. If the "El" train bothers you that much than you shouldn't be in a city anyway.

Go live in the burbs or a small town where you won't be nearly driven insane from the city noitse.

NYC, LA, San Fran, Chicago are all loud places. Dense places are noisy. When you live in the city you get used to it. If it wasn't the train it'd be the sirens, if it isn't the sirens it would be the neighbors.

There's give and take wherever you move too. I personally like the EL trains. And I live RIGHT next to them.
That's typical Chicago defensiveness: you do not like it - go elsewhere. Thanks. And no, New York greatness does not depend on the noise, noise is the byproduct and all great cities are trying to eliminate it as much as it is possible. It's illegal to honk your horn in New York for anyhing other than road emergency just for this reason and there are other measures aimed at limiting the noise. You are romanticizng the noise in a futile attempt to make Chicago relevant, to fit in with other big cities. You, like most Chicagoans, are missing the point here. I thought Midwesterners were supposed to be really "down-to-earth" and not "hopeless romantics", "embracing city's grittiness" like it was a virtue

Last edited by advocatusdiavoli; 05-23-2009 at 02:00 PM..

Old 05-23-2009, 12:33 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
That's typical Chicago defensiveness: you do not like go elsewhere. Thanks. And no, New York greatness does not depend on the noise, noise is the byproduct and all great cities are trying to eliminate it as much as it is possible. It's illegal to honk you horn in New York for anyhing other than road emergency just for this reason and there are other measures aimed at limiting the noise. You are romanticizng the noise in a futile attempt to make Chicago relevant, to fit in with other big cities. I thought Midwesterners were supposed to be really "down-to-earth" and not "hopeless romantics"?
Your right.

I'm going outside to enjoy my terrible Midwestern city. The bars are starting to fill up.

You continue to spend your day trolling. Have fun!

Old 05-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Your right.

I'm going outside to enjoy my terrible Midwestern city. The bars are starting to fill up.

You continue to spend your day trolling. Have fun!
I really envy you .

By the way, that was another personal attack. Can't you have an argument in a civilized way?

Last edited by advocatusdiavoli; 05-23-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 05-23-2009, 05:26 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times
Quote:
That's typical Chicago defensiveness: you do not like it - go elsewhere. Thanks. And no, New York greatness does not depend on the noise, noise is the byproduct and all great cities are trying to eliminate it as much as it is possible. It's illegal to honk your horn in New York for anyhing other than road emergency just for this reason and there are other measures aimed at limiting the noise. You are romanticizng the noise in a futile attempt to make Chicago relevant, to fit in with other big cities. You, like most Chicagoans, are missing the point here. I thought Midwesterners were supposed to be really "down-to-earth" and not "hopeless romantics", "embracing city's grittiness" like it was a virtue
New York is insanely loud. I was in Astoria, Queens (not even Manhattan) and an elevated rail bypasses through the neighborhood....the trains passing by were so damn loud...I had NO idea how people there can stand it.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
New York is insanely loud. I was in Astoria, Queens (not even Manhattan) and an elevated rail bypasses through the neighborhood....the trains passing by were so damn loud...I had NO idea how people there can stand it.

That's why you have seen an elevated train. There is subway in Manhattan. I agree though, elevated trains are a nuisance. I do not like them in New York any more than I like them in Chicago.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:33 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times
Quote:
That's why you have seen an elevated train. There is subway in Manhattan. I agree though, elevated trains are a nuisance. I do not like them in New York any more than I like them in Chicago.
Manhattan is noisy enough and the noise there is just as incovenient as the Loop, if not worse

Old 05-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libohove90 View Post
manhattan is noisy enough and the noise there is just as incovenient as the loop, if not worse
ok

Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
I live in NYC, but Chicago's buildings are way more aesthetically pleasing. I don't even understand how this can be argued... NYC buildings are all very generic, and look like they're falling apart. Chicago's buildings are all unique and have a very crisp, clean look to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City