Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best architecture
New York City 87 47.03%
Chicago 98 52.97%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:07 PM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
and I almost fell on the ground laughing when you tried to compare Chicagos ugly neighborhoods to New York.

Silly fool there are no and will need be any equivalents to Upper East Side, UWS (no Lincoln Park doesn't compare LOL ) Especially downtown neighborhoods like Tribeca, the Village, NoHo, SoHo..etc No no no.
Should I bother arguing with him, or let him carry on? "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." --Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Go on page 1 of my other tread... Recent construction and look at that tall gothic wavy looking aluminum/metal Frank Gehry masterpiece tower going up.
Are you sure you want to compare this with Aqua? You wouldn't be the first to do so.

I just think it's funny that you had to bring this building up in comparison with Aqua. It makes sense, though, because this building looks just like an elaborated, messy version of the Chicago tower. It's like somebody asked Frank Gehry, "Hey, we like Aqua. Can you rip that off and design us one here in New York?" Gehry replied, "Sure, but I'm warning you: ain't nothing like the real thing, baby."

Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Chicago's best neighborhoods aren't even as nice as North Booklyn ones.. and they might as wow be Arkansas compared to Manhattans.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Chicago's best neighborhoods aren't even as nice as North Booklyn ones.. and they might as wow be Arkansas compared to Manhattans.
Did you mean to write, "Might as well," but didn't know the proper word to use? Ooh, boy. I think we should probably end this conversation before one of us embarrasses himself.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Are you sure you want to compare this with Aqua? You wouldn't be the first to do so.
FAR Superior

Um, the Beekman is far more popular an better looking than Aqua. Aqua is beyond boring unless youre standing under it.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
I just read the title of this thread and....DUH!!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Excellent post.

Jacksonian, are you an architect? You sounded like one.
I spent 5 years studying and have worked almost 3 years now, but they say I'm still an intern, so I guess the answer is no...

For your entertainment, here's a few quotes from Frank Lloyd Wright:

"Every great architect is - necessarily - a great poet. He must be a great original interpreter of his time, his day, his age. "

"Form follows function - that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."

"Harvard takes perfectly good plums as students, and turns them into prunes."

"A man is a fool if he drinks before he reaches the age of 50, and a fool if he doesn't afterward."

And this one may be the most relevant to the topic at hand:

"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world."

Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Excellent post.

Jacksonian, are you an architect? You sounded like one.
Perhaps. In a recent thread-- maybe it was this one (too tired/busy to look it up)... Jacksonian made a relevant remark about his time in architectural school and his class visiting Chi., Boston and Phil., as a basis for studying architecture (they did not visit NYC). He was also rueing the fact that he lives in the South and wished he could live in the North. I may be putting words in his mouth, but that's what I came away with.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I just read the title of this thread and....DUH!!
Well?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
FAR Superior

Um, the Beekman is far more popular an better looking than Aqua. Aqua is beyond boring unless youre standing under it.

The Beekman is a masterpiece from a beter architect.
You "might as wow" stop talking now. It would be "beter" for all of us.

"Aqua building chicago" gets 287,000 results on Google. "Beekman place new york" gets 86,900... so I'm sure. Which one is better known and "far more popular?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City