Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state do you like better?
California 137 71.35%
Georgia 55 28.65%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It's the San Andreas Fault.
And far more people have been killed by hurricanes in the U.S. than by earthquakes. Guess which state(s) have more hurricanes... Georgia (and Florida) or California?
Exactly. Not to mention that people in the East Coast are also living along fault lines that can and still do occasionally shift. And the next time one of the faults closest to the big cities in the East hits big, they are in FAR more danger of being completely destroyed than we are. Their infrastructure is not set up to sustain that. And worse, they'd probably have to deal with hurricanes during any type of rebuilding phase! Man that would suck!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:40 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,439,496 times
Quote:
Quote:
It's the San Andreas Fault.
And far more people have been killed by hurricanes in the U.S. than by earthquakes. Guess which state(s) have more hurricanes... Georgia (and Florida) or California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Exactly. Not to mention that people in the East Coast are also living along fault lines that can and still do occasionally shift. And the next time one of the faults closest to the big cities in the East hits big, they are in FAR more danger of being completely destroyed than we are. Their infrastructure is not set up to sustain that. And worse, they'd probably have to deal with hurricanes during any type of rebuilding phase! Man that would suck!
In almost 40 years in Georgia I've only been subjected to real Hurricane winds three times (The first one was Kate in 1985 was not hit by another one until Ivan and Jeanne both in 2004). You are far more likely to see action from a tornado here than from a serious Hurricane and tornados tend to do alot more damage in my experience. Mostly we just get plain old rain from weak Hurricanes that pass by hundreds of miles from us.

I don't even have any clue what an earthquake feels like if that tells you how many of those we get.

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention the threat of earthquakes on the East Coast and the historic quakes... Boston, 1755, New Madrid, 1811-12, New York, 1884, Charleston, S.C., 1886.
I thought we were talking about Georgia. None of those were here and none of those were even in the last 100 years.

Last edited by Galounger; 07-29-2011 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention the threat of earthquakes on the East Coast and the historic quakes... Boston, 1755, New Madrid, 1811-12, New York, 1884, Charleston, S.C., 1886.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
In almost 40 years in Georgia I've only been subjected to real Hurricane winds three times (The first one was Kate in 1985 was not hit by another one until Ivan and Jeanne both in 2004). You are far more likely to see action from a tornado here than from a serious Hurricane and tornados tend to do alot more damage in my experience. Mostly we just get plain old rain from weak Hurricanes that pass by hundreds of miles from us.

I don't even have any clue what an earthquake feels like if that tells you how many of those we get.

I thought we were talking about Georgia. None of those were here and none of those were even in the last 100 years.
Well in almost 34 years I've only been subjected to feeling a REAL earthquake once in 1989, if that tells you have many of THOSE we get. All the rest of them have been hardly anything more than the same shaking a building gets from a Mack truck driving by.

I know there are plenty of areas along the East and Gulf Coasts that don't really get hit by the eyes of storms. But any hurricane or tornado-prone area has to deal those natural disasters on a regular basis, whereas earthquake-prone areas only face any kind of serious damage once every 80 blue moons or so. Its really not as terrifying as many folks seem to think.

But on the less-active zones that only have earthquakes every several hundred years, when they come they are far more destructive due to tension building for a much longer time.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah those 4 New Madrid quakes in Missouri were felt for over 8 times the amount of distance as the 1906 one in SF was, and were not only as bad or worse than the SF one (depending on the source) but there were 4 of them that were equally huge over the course of 2 months! I'm really surprised that more people on that half of the nation aren't more aware of these.

There have even been a few in recent years that were small fortunately. There was one in Richmond, VA that surprised a lot of folks, but for some reason that one seems to have vanished from the consciousness of folks out there.

And if that one poster who "would never want to live on or near a fault line" is really that scared, then I hate to break the news to them but there are fault lines running all over the Earth. And the Ramapo Fault that runs near NYC is feared to be overdue for movement, as are the faults that run all the way down to South Carolina. Not too many of us are completely immune to the threat of earthquakes, but bad ones come so seldom that fearing them much is kind of unnecessary. CA is just in a zone that's more active, but 99% of all earthquakes here are harmless. I'm more worried about a neighborhood fire or a car accident than an earthquake.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:39 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
I've heard that California produces more peaches than Georgia. And they're better.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:02 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Yeah those 4 New Madrid quakes in Missouri were felt for over 8 times the amount of distance as the 1906 one in SF was, and were not only as bad or worse than the SF one (depending on the source) but there were 4 of them that were equally huge over the course of 2 months! I'm really surprised that more people on that half of the nation aren't more aware of these.

There have even been a few in recent years that were small fortunately. There was one in Richmond, VA that surprised a lot of folks, but for some reason that one seems to have vanished from the consciousness of folks out there.

And if that one poster who "would never want to live on or near a fault line" is really that scared, then I hate to break the news to them but there are fault lines running all over the Earth. And the Ramapo Fault that runs near NYC is feared to be overdue for movement, as are the faults that run all the way down to South Carolina. Not too many of us are completely immune to the threat of earthquakes, but bad ones come so seldom that fearing them much is kind of unnecessary. CA is just in a zone that's more active, but 99% of all earthquakes here are harmless. I'm more worried about a neighborhood fire or a car accident than an earthquake.
Yes, those series of earthquakes (3) were very large. Estimated magnitude was 8.1, 7.8 and 8.0.

There probably won't be quakes of that size in that area for a long time but a quake in the magnitude 6 bracket is very possible.

And the Ramapo Fault in New York is also capable of producing a 6.0 quake in the not so distant future. Hopefully, it will wait a few hundred years!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, those series of earthquakes (3) were very large. Estimated magnitude was 8.1, 7.8 and 8.0.

There probably won't be quakes of that size in that area for a long time but a quake in the magnitude 6 bracket is very possible.

And the Ramapo Fault in New York is also capable of producing a 6.0 quake in the not so distant future. Hopefully, it will wait a few hundred years!
I guess it depends on what source you look at. MSNBC lists 3 while Wikipedia lists 4 on 3 different dates. Either way, they were all massive. And that is a good thing they won't likely have anything of that magnitude hit there again for a long time.

As for NYC, I pray that doesn't hit with even a 6.0 b/c that would be catastrophic! Whenever one does hit there again I hope its after enough newer infrastructure has been built to withstand it better.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:56 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,439,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've heard that California produces more peaches than Georgia. And they're better.
If dry and tasteless means better then yes, they're better. California fruit taste fake IMHO.

Last edited by Galounger; 07-29-2011 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
If dry and tasteless means better then yes, they're better. California fruit taste fake IMHO.
California produces 86% of the nation's peaches.

Annual Peach Production in Pounds
1 California 796 Million lbs.
2 South Carolina 111 Million lbs.
3 Georgia 86 Million lbs.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...er-crop/?print

No need to be rude about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City