Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most dominated by the redneck/hillbily/hick culture?
Tallahassee, FL 9 3.33%
Jacksonville, FL 18 6.67%
Little Rock, AR 40 14.81%
Jackson, MS 21 7.78%
Biloxi, MS 6 2.22%
Augusta, GA 4 1.48%
Athens, GA 6 2.22%
Montgomery, AL 7 2.59%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.93%
Huntsville, AL 7 2.59%
Chatanooga, TN 11 4.07%
Greenville, SC 12 4.44%
Columbia, SC 8 2.96%
Charleston, SC 3 1.11%
Fayetteville, NC 5 1.85%
Amarillo, TX 19 7.04%
Lexington, KY 9 3.33%
Oklahoma City, OK 15 5.56%
Charleston, WV 35 12.96%
Cookeville, TN 19 7.04%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:21 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Princess View Post
Thank you very much......Not all Southerns are Hillbillies. I would put educated southerns english skills up against Yankees and there is no contest over who has the best manners...............Bless your yankee hearts, you just don't seem to know any better.
People are a lot friendlier in the South due to the country feel you get everywhere with the exception of Atlanta. Charlotte is very country in my opinion.

Don't seem to know any better? We know plenty, and our "manners" are just as good as Southerners when it comes to being formal, etc. We simply aren't as outgoingly friendly.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Actually, country music has a more pop/rock feel these days. Ever since artists from Shania Twain to The Dixie Chicks took country and widened the fan base, the hillbilly/redneck or bluegrass country music has only been a subsection of country, and I would dare say more actual sales of country CDs has been from those more progressive artists. Therefore the country music hall of fame isn't really all that indicative of redneck culture.

NASCAR on the other hand.........
I agree!!! That's why Charlotte wins and Nashville only gets honorable mention.

Charlotte also has a place where Nascar meets Country music. Dale Earnhardt Jr's bar Whisky River. (I know Whiskey is spelled with an "E" but Jr's bar is spelled "Whisky")

Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I honestly have to say Little Rock does. I have a friend there who has 2 kids, one of whom is a few years younger than I am. Her facebook status said four-wheelin'. I commented saying "Isn't that something rednecks do?" and she told me "no, I'm not a redneck. You should try it sometime, it's fun." I told her I've never known anyone here who does that, so it would be hard to even try it...we aren't rednecks here lol. I've never even seen a four-wheeler in my life.
How would you know? Your opinion is moot.

I have literally been to every single "city" on this list. The only one dominated by regressive culture, from what I've witnessed in my travels, is Jackson, Mississippi. The only one. Every other city here (except Amarillo - this inclusion puzzles me) is southern tinged but ultimately urban, all to varying degrees. The only city on this list I loathe and would rather never step foot in again is Jackson. Buuuuut... my opinion is indeed biased for personal reasons from personal experiences.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:01 AM

763 posts, read 1,298,005 times
I really can't say, I guess maybe Little Rock, but I am guessing that the point of this thread was to insult a group of cities.

The definition of a redneck or where it came from was people who worked outside all day and had the sun beat down on them till their necks turned red. Last time I checked, hard work was not a backwards thing.

I respect someone who works hard all day long way before someone collecting a welfare check in one of the boroughs in NY

Old 06-26-2009, 11:04 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
This is pretty difficult. Should be a multiple choice.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:16 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I honestly have to say Little Rock does. I have a friend there who has 2 kids, one of whom is a few years younger than I am. Her facebook status said four-wheelin'. I commented saying "Isn't that something rednecks do?" and she told me "no, I'm not a redneck. You should try it sometime, it's fun." I told her I've never known anyone here who does that, so it would be hard to even try it...we aren't rednecks here lol. I've never even seen a four-wheeler in my life.
>>>>>
I told her I've never known anyone here who does that, so it would be hard to even try it...we aren't rednecks here lol. I've never even seen a four-wheeler in my life.
<<<<<

Rachael, that is just plain unAmerican, LOL!!! We gotta find a way to get you on a four-wheeler Girl!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:17 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
This is pretty difficult. Should be a multiple choice.
??? It is multiple choice...

Unless... UNLESS!.. Unless you meant that you should be allowed to choose multiple cities! Bwahahahahahahah!!! Hohohohohoho! Hehehehehehe! Hahahahahaha!

Oh my goodness, I'm wiping tears from my eyes. That response was so clever and original! Well played, sir! Wait till you get back to the country club and tell everyone about the clever joke you told about those backward hicks south of the Mason-Dixon! They'll think you're the wittiest person ever!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree. Little Rock is definitely the most redneck "urban" area, though I wouldn't even consider it urban. Around here, if you are not married by age 23 you stick out like a sore thumb, most guys (even the young ones) sport camo hats, the common topic every monday morning is "the race", and restaurants are referred to as "eatin' places". Upon first visit, Little Rock doesn't seem as bad as its absolutely horrible reputation because there are some quaint, charming historic neighborhoods, but once you dig a little deeper it becomes clear why its regarded as one of the most boring places in the USA to live and is mostly deserving of that reputation.

OKC comes pretty close however. How redneck do you have to be to put a regular big-box style Bass Pro Shop in the middle of your downtown? If they wanted it, at least make it blend with the surroundings! OKC has made great strides in recent years, but that Bass Pro Shop completely ruins the feel of downtown. In addition, pretty much all the "cultural" events around there are either centered around cowboy culture of Native American culture.
>>>>>
OKC has made great strides in recent years, but that Bass Pro Shop completely ruins the feel of downtown.
<<<<<

No, no, no, BChris....you got it backwards my, Friend. That Bass Pro Shop is the CROWN JEWEL of OK City. I hope they put in three more!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
OKC has made great strides in recent years, but that Bass Pro Shop completely ruins the feel of downtown.
<<<<<

No, no, no, BChris....you got it backwards my, Friend. That Bass Pro Shop is the CROWN JEWEL of OK City. I hope they put in three more!
Put one in Norman or in far NW OKC, not right in the middle of downtown!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Um, many of these towns shouldn't even be on the list.

What CITY is most dominated by the redneck/hillbilly/hick culture?

There are more than two towns on this list that have an African American majority population. Some of these towns (I think) even have African American mayors. Jackson, Miss is 70% black for example. The county Jackson sits in is 67% black. Calling Jackson redneck/hillbilly/hick is almost as laughable as calling Detroit redneck.

Some people really need to give up their personal bias and stigmas against certain areas.

FWIW, Charleston, West Virginia has a high population of interracial couples. EXTREMELY high. This is certainly NOT a redneck trait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City