Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you want to govern the Golden State?
Los Angeles: City of Angels, Entertainment Capital of the World 6 6.98%
San Francisco: The City by the Bay, Paris of the West 15 17.44%
San Diego: Americas Finest City, City in Motion 7 8.14%
San Jose: The Capital of Silicon Valley 6 6.98%
Oakland: Bright Side of the Bay 3 3.49%
Long Beach: The International City 2 2.33%
Santa Cruz: Surf City 0 0%
Fresno.. 2 2.33%
Other: List why 3 3.49%
Keep Sacramento 42 48.84%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:15 PM

635 posts, read 1,541,644 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this should be in the California forum, but it is a "City vs. City" thing so i figured why not here? Plus it would be nice to see what other non-Californians think.

Okay, so theoretically speaking. If Sacramento were to relinquish it's position as capital of the Golden State what city would you choose to lead the country? Please list your reasons as to why.

I feel the capital should be in SoCal on the Coast. Thinking maybe Los Angeles due to it's being a global city. But then again San Diego is also a global city. Toss up between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 10:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
I think San Jose should be the capital if Sacramento cannot be.

My reason is because the capital city shouldn't be the most famed city. I find it chaotic when you combine politics and economics into one city. More of a target, and more of a "primate city" type of set up. Even though, Phoenix, Boston, & Atlanta are all successful economical and political cities for their states.

I don't think most states can pull that off though. Los Angeles as the state capital? Shouldn't be, it would give that city way too much power for the state. Think about a state as large as California with it's largest city, but not the center of the states majority population being the capital. People in the Bay Area would have a lot of resentment for that.

The thing with Sacramento is, it's a very underrated city. Normally it's thrown off and not discussed at all, and being the capital gives it one thing that the other more famed and attractive cities don't have.

San Jose is in a similar situation. I think Fresno can work nicely too.

I think a state capital should be a humble city in the state as large as California with many dynamic cities. Massachusetts and Georgia have one large city- no other large competitors. Arizona has Tucson, but Phoenix works effectively for them.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,989 times
Palm Springs should be the capital.

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 06-26-2010 at 10:49 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,823,253 times
Keep Sactown!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Keep Sactown!
Amen!

The city that never shows off deserves one thing that other Californian cities don't have. Humble and effective- Sacramento's style.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 PM

635 posts, read 1,541,644 times
Not the division thing again, lets not get on that topic :P. BTW it should stay one Golden State!

OmShahi: I can see what you mean. It would be dangerous for the state to have its power consolidated in NorCal or SoCal. If it where it SoCal they bay would have no water and visa versa. Honestly i think it is fine in Sacramento however a more central location wouldn't hurt.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 PM

horrible politics should stay in Sactown now that I think about it! the bad politics would just damge other cities further. Thanks but no thanks

Old 06-26-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Not the division thing again, lets not get on that topic :P. BTW it should stay one Golden State!

OmShahi: I can see what you mean. It would be dangerous for the state to have its power consolidated in NorCal or SoCal. If it where it SoCal they bay would have no water and visa versa. Honestly i think it is fine in Sacramento however a more central location wouldn't hurt.
I know you said it should be more central but if it was in SoCal then I choose Palm Springs!

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 06-26-2010 at 10:59 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 10:55 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
It is funny that most people prefer it stay in Sacramento [that was my choice as well]. It is best to have the politicians away from the major cities in my opinion. Monterey was actually the first capitol of California during the Spanish era. It probably was once in San Francisco but I would need to look it up to be sure. It's best that the capitol remain in Sacramento.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,823,253 times
Sacramento is my favorite CA city-- behind SF of course

Sactown is in between SF and Lake Tahoe, located where 2 rivers meet. I always thought the location was IDEAL for any city to be in. I'm also a person that likes a lot of vegetation, and Sactown has LOTS of it. It has Beautiful architecture, great people, an awesome location... Now that I think of it, corrupt politicians don't deserve to live in such a great area too work and play!

I vote Death Valley. (JK)
Sactown is a perfect location to sum up the greatness of California.

Last edited by BPerone201; 06-26-2010 at 11:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City