Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Follow our lead in what? Science? Plenty of nations are blazing their own path in that. Economy? We have the largest in the world, but we aren't the only nation with a high economic output. Geopolitical? How does that influence your quality of living, outside of extreme situations?

Their are a number of nations with higher per capita GDP, and plenty of nations with superior education. You just have narrow horizons.
And how would you know what my horizons are? We do have the largest economy in the world, and I wasn't trying to take anything away from the other countries with great accomplishments. My point was that many nations around the world wish to live the Western lifestyle that we have dominated. Our culture, the way we dress, the way they see us act on television, etc. But of course there are those places that manage to remain as un-American as possible.

Still, this nation is the melting pot of the world. Many folks of all nationalities come here chasing that American lifestyle of the big house and the big yard. No other country in the world advertises "the dream" the way we do. Plus we offer so many diverse opportunities. Look at how many major cities we have!

Maybe it's just that the rest of you are looking for what you can't find here, and there's nothing wrong with that. But in the community I come from where many people don't have much, everything we could ever need and want is right here in the USA. That's just me.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
My point is that many people don't realize the relationship they have with their home country, and if you leave you will NOT find the same thing anywhere else in the world. You may be happy, but you won't find America. Maybe that's a good thing to you.
This is true. But like you said, there are parts of America that I wouldn't miss while living elsewhere (though I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss SOME of it).

Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Default As I mentioned before..

.. I wanted to present this as an ultimatum of sorts: live in a predetermined destination in the US, or leave the country. You would lose your citizenship, and you could only visit the US with a VISA. And, the move would be PERMANENT.

So, what would you do? Some people might be very impulsive, while others might want to think about the implications of such a move. For this question, the important part is the reason for leaving, rather than the country you're moving to.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
.. I wanted to present this as an ultimatum of sorts: live in a predetermined destination in the US, or leave the country. You would lose your citizenship, and you could only visit the US with a VISA. And, the move would be PERMANENT.

So, what would you do? Some people might be very impulsive, while others might want to think about the implications of such a move. For this question, the important part is the reason for leaving, rather than the country you're moving to.
Exactly. And the point I was trying to make was that I don't believe people were really thinking about their decision to leave the country. Hundreds of places all over the world look good on paper (or on TV), but how can you be so sure that you would be happy there?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,351 times
any place that's not a major city in the mid and south west.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Well, given that there are so many different areas within the U.S. it really does depend. Give me a location and I'll give you an answer.

If the potential choice was between New York City and abroad, I'd choose NYC. If the choice was between Broken Bow, Nebraska and abroad, I would likely choose "abroad"... even if it meant permanently leaving the U.S.

This is a really vague topic and too much goes into each and every individual situation.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
any place that's not a major city in the mid and south west.
Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Louisville, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, and Las Vegas. You don't like ANY of those places??

Old 05-27-2009, 12:25 PM

57 posts, read 199,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Their are a number of nations with higher per capita GDP, and plenty of nations with superior education. You just have narrow horizons.
And those countries are a fraction of the size of the US. For a county our size with the population we have, our standard of living is really extraordinary.

Canada would really be the only other option for me. Europe is cool to visit, not to live. It's cramped, crowded and expensive. Some people see their public transportation as a positive, I see it as a negative. Public transportation is just miserable. I'll go where I want in the comfort of my own car, thanks.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,385 times
Quote:
And how would you know what my horizons are? We do have the largest economy in the world, and I wasn't trying to take anything away from the other countries with great accomplishments. My point was that many nations around the world wish to live the Western lifestyle that we have dominated. Our culture, the way we dress, the way they see us act on television, etc. But of course there are those places that manage to remain as un-American as possible.

Still, this nation is the melting pot of the world. Many folks of all nationalities come here chasing that American lifestyle of the big house and the big yard. No other country in the world advertises "the dream" the way we do. Plus we offer so many diverse opportunities. Look at how many major cities we have!

Maybe it's just that the rest of you are looking for what you can't find here, and there's nothing wrong with that. But in the community I come from where many people don't have much, everything we could ever need and want is right here in the USA. That's just me.

I would venture to say that most people don't act like people on TV. As a matter of fact, if I catch my kids acting that way, they lose the TV.

Also, many peoples dreams reach much deeper the big house and yard. Isn't this "dream" a big part of what got us into our current financial mess.

The US is a great country, but to say that the experience of living in bum*$() Texas is more enriching than living in a world class city outside of the US is shallow and ignorant.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,351 times
Quote:
Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Louisville, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, and Las Vegas. You don't like ANY of those places??

I said would rather emigrate than live any place that was not a big city. I've driven coast to coast on more than one occasion and west of the Mississippi, the rural areas are pretty barren. In contrast, I'd have no problem living in a rural area in the south east, mid atlantic. I'm also not a big fan of cold so any place North of DC would be a no-go for me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City