Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
darn , ya got me! ..nah i kid , i kid...but really

In theory then, Cardiff Wales, London, Birmingham , Manchester, Liverpool, and throw in Paris (only a couple hundred miles away) are one "megalopolis" right? plz confirm, kthnxbye
That is exactly what this is........ you are trying to put down the northeast and boost the west coast, mainly LA

Anyone that does not believe me on this then just look through this guys post.

You are jealous because the west coasat has NOTHING like this and never will.

I dont know if Paris has this or not? I could care less to be honest because it is not even in my country

Why are talking about Paris megalopis anyways? OH, thats right. That is because you cant talk about the LA megalopis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:00 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
It exists. It's very interconnected. You can take a train from Boston to Washington in 7 hours. In doing so, you'll pass through Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington; not to mention a TON of other smaller and mid-size cities along the way (i.e. Providence, New Haven, Stamford, Wilmington, Newark, etc).

Washington has some similarities to Boston. For one, it has a lot of similar architecture in the residential neighborhoods and similar density in the core (D.C. of course, is mostly low-rise). D.C. shares similar urban fabric to Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York as well. Each of those cities have their distinct unique features, but they are very similar in a lot of ways. In fact, Washington has more in common aesthetically with cities in the Northeast than it does with cities in the South.

The reason I don't think you hear about people say, "I'm flying into the Bos-Wash megalopolis" is because it's not specific at all. The Bos-Wash megalopolis covers a large area and when someone is working in or going to a part of it, they usually mention which specific part (i.e. "I'm flying into Baltimore" or "BWI"). It's no different than if someone were flying into LAX, they likely wouldn't say I'm "flying into the West Coast tomorrow.." They'd likely say, "I'm flying into LA tomorrow" or MAYBE say, "I'm flying to California" (to which someone would reply, "which part" just as I would if someone said, "I'm flying into the BosWash today").

It's a large stretch of coast that's heavily urbanized/ suburbanized and many cities' metro areas connect to the next. It's hard to tell when you've left metro-Philly and entered metro-NYC. It's very interconnected in that way. However, each city does maintain its unique features so it's not just one big urban blob spreading from Southern NH to Northern Virginia. Even the suburbs change as you progress South-North or vice versa. It's also the fact that each city gives a sense of place which is probably why you don't hear, "I'm flying into the Bos-Wash megalopolis today."

In short, it absolutely exists.

*edit*

No, Paris isn't a "magalopolis" with London and vicinity. There are language barriers as well as formidable geographic barriers and no interconnected cities like the Bos-Wash. Keep in mind, European cities don't "sprawl" like American cities do. Just about each metro area/ suburban area in the Bos-Wash connects to the next forming a nearly unbroken chain of suburbs connecting those areas.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
Sure they exist. The cities in this corridor have very good transportation links to each other which facilitate easy travel/communication. People commute/relocate back and forth between the various metro areas with minimal disruption. Within the professional classes (at the very least), the social networks easily span the whole breadth of the Bos-Wash corridor.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
It's just a term, this really isn't that complicated. Think of a metropolitan area then think of a larger region with several metropolitan areas relatively close to each other then you have a megalopolis basically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopolis_(city_type)

Last edited by sav858; 05-29-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 01:05 PM

322 posts, read 800,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
That is exactly what this is........ you are trying to put down the northeast and boost the west coast, mainly LA

Anyone that does not believe me on this then just look through this guys post.

You are jealous because the west coasat has NOTHING like this and never will.

I dont know if Paris has this or not? I could care less to be honest because it is not even in my country

Why are talking about Paris megalopis anyways? OH, thats right. That is because you cant talk about the LA megalopis

please...L.A , SF,SJ,Oakland,Long Beach,Orange County,Monterey,Bakersfield megalopolis then are you happy? Lol ....relax nycday guy ...Our "megalopolis" is way ,more diverse as a whole anyways..i just didn't want to focus on our cities

Old 05-29-2009, 01:07 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,393 times
Quote:
please...L.A , SF,SJ,Oakland,Long Beach,Orange County,Monterey,Bakersfield megalopolis then are you happy? Lol ....relax nycday guy ...Our "megalopolis" is way ,more diverse as a whole anyways..i just didn't want to focus on our cities
Sorry, in bold are not cities.

They are towns with a couple hundred thousand people

LA/SF

vs.

Boston/Philly/DC/Baltimore/NYC

Sorry, that is 5 cities against 2. You come up short

Old 05-29-2009, 01:11 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Yes, it exist.

Washington DC and Boston are about 430 miles apart.

So, in a 430 mile span you have Washington DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC and Boston. As you can see, that is a lot of cities to have in that small of a span
You forgot about New Haven, Hartford and Providence.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:12 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
No. read through the list of megalopoli (is that the right plural?!) here and you'll get a better picture/ idea of what you're talking about. You can't just throw a couple of city names together and call it a megalopolis. Nice try though!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:13 PM

467 posts, read 874,004 times
Quote:
I always hear people on here talking about this thing like its some interconnected huge area that functions as one. I never hear anyone here say "oh ya know I'm flying into the Bost-Washi megalopolis tommorrow" or something so its kinda weird to me?

I dunno...does it exist to non eastern-boosters?

is washington dc(below mason dixon line) anything like boston?

Of course it does. Take a drive from Washington to Boston and you will see. And of course nobody says I am flying to Bosh-Wash as it would be as saying I am flying to California, it's not specific enough as the area is too big.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 PM

322 posts, read 800,299 times
Quote:
Sorry, in bold are not cities.

They are towns with a couple hundred thousand people

LA/SF

vs.

Boston/Philly/DC/Baltimore/NYC

Sorry, that is 5 cities against 2. You come up short
hahahah your funny. SJ has over a million...Long Beach half a million, Anaheim 400,000 plus a big metro +Santa Ana etc...plus tons of 200,000 + cities

boston is a "town" then, dc is a "town" then, baltimore also a "town" with your theory ..silly guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City