Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Montclair is the name of a very dense suburb of NYC that is in NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yeah it is, I checked with your link. You're just talking about the immediate city area and its immediate surroundings. You're ignoring the parts of the metro region that stretches out eastward into mountains and desert - and of course, that big Marine base. You're also ignoring the many white parts within the deep purple in the density map that when you hover over them, read 'low population area'. There are many within the dense LA itself. NJ has one from Philly to NYC - just south of Trenton.
A person driving from LA to San Diego isn't driving through the desert. What an incredibly strange argument to make. LMAO.

In fact, for nearly the entire length from Downtown LA to the OC/SD border a person is driving through continuous census tracts with 5,000+ density.

The drive between Edison and Trenton otoh feels like a nomans land by comparison.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:20 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns.

Go to this website Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com for yourself the scores of connected census tracts between NY and Philadelphia that have around 1,000 people or less.

On the other hand, LA is solidly around 5,000+ all the way to southernmost tip of the LA MSA. San Diego begins in the 5,000 range.

There is really no comparison. At all.

LA-SD whallops NY-Philadelphia as far as continuous density and its even more impressive because the distance is farther.
I like playing with maps.

It seems the least dense area between LA and San Diego is Census Tract 187 at 178.5 people per square mile (if you take the most dense route).

For New York to Philly, census tract 3302 has only 851.1 people per square mile.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I like playing with maps.

It seems the least dense area between LA and San Diego is Census Tract 187 at 178.5 people per square mile (if you take the most dense route).

For New York to Philly, census tract 3302 has only 851.1 people per square mile.
Well Im happy you like to play with maps but if you are suggesting that because of this factoid, the drive from NY to Philadelphia is actually more dense, you would be wrong.

The drive btwn LA and SD is more of a megalopolis than NY-Philadelphia if the definition is unbroken development with high density for most of the distance. Its not really close.

California planned itself that way, hence we have the most densely populated urban areas in the nation.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:09 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
A person driving from LA to San Diego isn't driving through the desert. What an incredibly strange argument to make. LMAO.

In fact, for nearly the entire length from Downtown LA to the OC/SD border a person is driving through continuous census tracts with 5,000+ density.

The drive between Edison and Trenton otoh feels like a nomans land by comparison.
You're picking and choosing areas in CA that fit your argument and completely ignoring others while trying to claim that the densest areas of NJ aren't very dense and have expansive empty spaces of land, thus making your argument void and hard to even read.

Again, I'm not saying that Southern CA isn't dense. I am saying that you're wrong when you claim anywhere in Northern or Central New Jersey is "no man's land". It's not. There is no "middle of nowhere" in that part of Jersey. I live in NJ, have all my life, and have been extensively through the state, and can tell you that the only true hick, middle of nowhere parts of NJ are extreme south, southwestern, and northwestern along with some of Hunterdon County. And by the standards of the rest of the country, including 90% of California (refer to my very former post in which U.S. Census data proved that less than 10% of the state of CA is developed, non rural land), these "middle of nowhere" areas aren't even true middle of nowhere areas. NJ, the densest state in the country, has no truly empty for miles and miles land besides the Pine Barrens, a relatively small uninhabitable forest of pine trees along the central coast. Other than that, seriously, NJ doesn't have very empty land areas minus preserved state or national parks - which every state has. Our geography doesn't fit that profile. We're a mostly flat state with good soil and popular beaches, so even our coast is built up. We don't have desert or even true mountains, at least in most of the state. The large majority of our land is habitable, plus we're a small state with two major cities near the bulk of our population.

There is true continuous density and development along the BosWash corridor between every major city, back to the topic, making it THE megalopolis of the country. LA and SD and most of their metro areas are dense and developed, but Camp Pendleton's emptiness stops it from being a true megalopolis, like it or not, fair or not. Why this is still being debated, I couldn't tell you.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 AM

Arguing with this person is like arguing with a wall, mods please shut it down. I think we have proven that the BosWash Megalopolis does exist, ignoring the fact that it of course genuinely does exist and the starting of this whole thread seems a bit suspicious to begin with. This has turned into a 'boost CA' thread in which facts are being manipulated and being used off-topic so let's end this.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Arguing with this person is like arguing with a wall, mods please shut it down. I think we have proven that the BosWash Megalopolis does exist, ignoring the fact that it of course genuinely does exist and the starting of this whole thread seems a bit suspicious to begin with. This has turned into a 'boost CA' thread in which facts are being manipulated and being used off-topic so let's end this.
Youve proven nothing and I am 'picking and choosing' areas that are components of a megalopolis-hello? This thread is about megalopolises, not states and their densities.

LA and SD are more consistently dense than NY and Philadelphia. Period.

And I dont run to mods crying cause my opponent disagrees with me. lol

Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pretty odd thread you've got here.

Well, considering that the word megalopolis was actually redefined and used as a direct description for the BosWash megalopolis, then yes, it exists BY DEFINITION. It's a bit like when someone looked at a rose and coined the name "rose" for it and then it caught on and people called a rose a rose before someone asked, "Is a rose a rose?"
Let me refer to this post from the first page. Done.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:50 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Youve proven nothing and I am 'picking and choosing' areas that are components of a megalopolis-hello? This thread is about megalopolises, not states and their densities.

LA and SD are more consistently dense than NY and Philadelphia. Period.

And I dont run to mods crying cause my opponent disagrees with me. lol
That is fine. LA and SD sprawl more than NY and PHL... congrats. However, NYC and Philly have a better connection than LA and SD... hence the higher density in between the two than LA and SD. Get it?

For LA and San Diego, Census Tract 187 at 178.5 people per square mile.

You can argue it all you want but there is the facts. I asked you to use Google Maps, a simple source. Instead you post some ridiculous statistics, like usual, show some pictures of some mansions which has no relevance to this conversation, bringing up wealth, like you usually do, THEN pgm123 took YOUR OWN LINK, that you were using as facts to try to show that LA-SD is more consistently developed, AND PROVED YOU WRONG WITH IT.

You got proven wrong with your own link.

Typical Montclair nonsense.

Lastly, NYC-PHL has better transit connections too. Not only serviced by Amtrak, which will soon take 38 minutes to get from Center City to Midtown Manhattan, but they are serviced by numerous New Jersey Transit lines running between the two cities.

Again, if you think LA-SD is better connected than NYC-PHL, you are truly loopy. End of discussion.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Let me refer to this post from the first page. Done.
If that makes you feel better, congrats.

It doesnt change the FACT that the drive between LA and SD is more consistently dense abd built up than drive between NY and Philadelphia.

Thanks for playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City