Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

How have things changed since then?

Which had better quality of life, cities (vibrancy, public transport). It seems cities have improved a lot.

Did people in 1990 seem more or less friendly? Which cities have improved/declined? Seems New York has become friendlier since 9/11.

In which eras where cities and city life better?

What about rural areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:29 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,594 times
I'd say that the cities and the perceptions of city life overall have definitely improved since 1990. It seems like before the late 90's, the vast majority of Americans young and old still believed in the "American Dream" ideal of large houses way out in the suburbs and mega shopping malls. I've noticed those ideas changing drastically, even within the last 10 years or so. Most of the young people I know want to live in the city, not the suburbs. It seems like that was the complete opposite not too long ago.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,825 times
I'll measure whether city life has improved, but measure it as of 2007 since all city's have pretty much crumbled in the recession.

New York City : MUCH better since 1990 in 2007 (Crime WAY down, economy up)
Los Angeles : Better since 1990 in 2007. (Crime and gang wars way down, economy up)
Chicago : Better since 1990 in 2007 (Crime down, economy up, gentrifying neighborhoods)
Detroit: Worse (crime up, economy worse)
Philly: About the same?? (declining population but no real signs of economic depression)
New Orleans: Worse (hurricane katrina, crime up, economy down)
All cities in Texas, Arizona, Florida: Way up (Sun belt boom along with dramatic increases in crime, but still life in the cities blossomed)

Las Vegas: Better
Everything in North Carolina: Better
Washington DC: Don't even know

Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,061,093 times
^ The recession made some cities return to the early 90's. The economy is actually worse now than then, since its said to be the worst since the Great Depression, however the crime rate is much lower now than it was back then. I think the crack epidemic was the largest contributing factor for the high crime rate of the late 80's/early 90's, more than the economy.

People also seem friendlier now than back then (I don't know about recently since it's been about a year since I've been in the States). I noticed that people are more passive and do most of the trash talking on the internet, and less out on the streets in peoples faces, which often times lead to fist fights. Then again it could be because I'm older so I'm not hanging around a crowd that's looking for trouble.

Locally in Atlanta, things are better and worse. Better in that it has grown, more progressive, more things to do, and many neighborhoods have cleaned up; but worse as far as the higher crime rate throughout the metro area (back in 1990 crime was concentrated in certain inner city neighborhoods that most people stayed out of, like other cities), and also more disturbing crimes.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,971,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I'd say that the cities and the perceptions of city life overall have definitely improved since 1990. It seems like before the late 90's, the vast majority of Americans young and old still believed in the "American Dream" ideal of large houses way out in the suburbs and mega shopping malls. I've noticed those ideas changing drastically, even within the last 10 years or so. Most of the young people I know want to live in the city, not the suburbs. It seems like that was the complete opposite not too long ago.
I'd have to agree with that and also add that there are three (good) bandwagons that many cities have gotten on: 1)installing pedestrian/bike trails, 2)building town centers/power centers with outdoor shopping like the small town downtowns, and 3)building TND or new urbanist developments. All of those have dramatically improved walkability and therefore pedestrian quality of life, although #3 has unfortunately turned out to typically be geared toward the wealthier clientele in actual build-out as opposed to offering affordable pricing points as "the philosophy" behind them originally included in the design and planning phases. #1 and #2 have improved pedestrian quality of life for people of income levels besides just the affluent.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:58 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,243,532 times
All I know is the murder count in Chicago was in the 900s during the 90's
Now people complain about 500 murders in the 2000s

Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,393,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I'll measure whether city life has improved, but measure it as of 2007 since all city's have pretty much crumbled in the recession.

New York City : MUCH better since 1990 in 2007 (Crime WAY down, economy up)
Los Angeles : Better since 1990 in 2007. (Crime and gang wars way down, economy up)
Chicago : Better since 1990 in 2007 (Crime down, economy up, gentrifying neighborhoods)
Detroit: Worse (crime up, economy worse)
Philly: About the same?? (declining population but no real signs of economic depression)
New Orleans: Worse (hurricane katrina, crime up, economy down)
All cities in Texas, Arizona, Florida: Way up (Sun belt boom along with dramatic increases in crime, but still life in the cities blossomed)

Everything in North Carolina: Better
Washington DC: Don't even know
Actually, DC has probably gone through one of the most amazing turnarounds since the 90's

Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,301,183 times
New Orleans: crime up, economy is up comparitively speaking....and life in the unflooded areas is much more vibrant, especially Uptown than before Katrina I'd venture because high ground is considered safer to live on/own property...influx of Lakeview residents, etc.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,990,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
With 1,500 foreclosures a month, I dont think thats better one bit.
Las Vegas is now feeling the pain from all that sprawl.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:06 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,216,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Actually, DC has probably gone through one of the most amazing turnarounds since the 90's
I agree. It went from the murder capital of the country to on of the most cosmopolitan, vibrant cities in the country with less than half of the murders per year that it had back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City