Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these liberal meccas do you prefer?
Portland 13 35.14%
Denver 24 64.86%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 AM

63 posts, read 274,039 times

Advertisements

Moved to portland or from denver co and noticed some disturbing similarities and also glaring regional differences. They are both islands of liberal sanity in their respective states, but are the cities similar in your view? Here are some ratings i would give: nightlife- portland music scene- portland outdoor activities- denver museums - denver schools-denver bikeability - portland racial diversity- denver racial integration -portland economy-denver proximity to other cities- portland what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
I think Denver is a bit more moderate (particularly its suburbs) politically, and Boulder is more of a compatable liberal sibling to Portland. Although its not exactly clear on what your comparing here. Yes the two cities have there parallels and their differences, but as far as this thread is concerned what kind of comparisons are your trying to address? How liberal one city is over another? That would indisbutably be Portland. That's not to say Denver isn't liberal at all; it is, but not like Portland is.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
why no middle ground, you do realize cities dont need to be the exact same to have similar characteristics.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM

63 posts, read 274,039 times
I suppose in a way its an attempt to get imaginative opinions from people who have lived in both places. Denver suburbs are more moderate, even right wing, but the same could be said of portland's suburbs. This poll discusses denver and portland, two cities of equal size and relative demographics. Lists of top five liberal cities are common on this thread, why is it now repugnant to compare two cities that seem to the uninitiated to be so different from each other? I use the liberal agenda as a starting point for discussion, and yes boulder's politics and portlands are comparable, but boulder is also not a city in any real sense of the word, more of an economically conservative town with a good college. Pepsi and coke taste different, yet they are both still cola, and people have fiercly divided opinions on which is better. By the way- this is my first thread.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,086 times
No way is portland's economy as good as Denver. Portland has one of the worst! I was born in Oregon, and now live in Colorado. I always thought Boulder-eugene were very similar as well!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:41 PM

274 posts, read 705,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBletch-PortlandOR View Post
Moved to portland or from denver co and noticed some disturbing similarities and also glaring regional differences. They are both islands of liberal sanity in their respective states, but are the cities similar in your view? Here are some ratings i would give: nightlife- portland music scene- portland outdoor activities- denver museums - denver schools-denver bikeability - portland racial diversity- denver racial integration -portland economy-denver proximity to other cities- portland what do you think?
You are underselling the outdoor activities available near Portland. There are all the mountain activities you have with Denver plus the ocean an hour away. Music scene and nightlife are debatable and come down to personal preference. Portland is definitely closer to other major cities than Denver is.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:49 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
You are underselling the outdoor activities available near Portland. There are all the mountain activities you have with Denver plus the ocean an hour away. Music scene and nightlife are debatable and come down to personal preference. Portland is definitely closer to other major cities than Denver is.
Unless your going to live in another major city, i don't really consider that important (IMO).

Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM

274 posts, read 705,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Unless your going to live in another major city, i don't really consider that important (IMO).
What? All I was saying was that there were other major cities near Portland that you could take a weekend trip to, as opposed to Denver which is far more isolated. (Colorado Springs is not in the same league as Seattle and Vancouver).

Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
What? All I was saying was that there were other major cities near Portland that you could take a weekend trip to, as opposed to Denver which is far more isolated. (Colorado Springs is not in the same league as Seattle and Vancouver).
All true, don't get me wrong, but its not like a person moves to Portland to be closer to Seattle of Vancouver. I wasn't going to say Colorado Springs though.

Last edited by Mezter; 08-25-2011 at 05:29 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 05:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
All true, don't get me wrong, but its not like the a person moves to Portland to be closer to Seattle of Vancouver. I wasn't going to say Colorado Springs though.
Well people might not move to Portland to be close to Seattle, but it's definetly an attractive feature of living here though. From where I live in Portland I can get to Seattle in about 2-2.5 hours without traffic. A lot of people in Portland take frequent weekend trips to Seattle or vactions in Vancouver. And there's a lot of stuff in Washington that's not far from Portland(most only 2-3 hours) like Mount Rainier or the San Juan Islands or the Olympic Peninsula. Just like people in Colorado drive to ski towns in the Rockies for the weekend--which is usually counted as a major plus for Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City