Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Skyline do you think is best, based on any qualifying judgments?
Phoenix, Arizona 41 51.25%
Peoria, Illinois 39 48.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 25,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
Alright!!! Another sunbelt city to pick on outside Atlanta!
Phoenix is infamous around these parts for having one of the worst skylines for a city its size.
(I go with Peoria, Illinois)

Lancer, Peoria's central city is NOTHING compared to Phoenix. I can't imagine why anyone would even try to compare the two. The Peoria area is quite industrial and a little dirty and trashy. Phoenix is beautiful and has a much larger central city. No comparison between the two. I have visited Phoenix and lived in the Peoria area. I choose Phoenix, hands down!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 03:06 PM

11 posts, read 25,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Phoenix is gorgeous. Peoria is pretty dumpy.
US-Traveller. you are so right. I lived in the Peoria area for about four years. Forget it.... Peoria doesn't hold a candle to Phoenix. Phoenix is beautiful and the downtown is MUCH larger than that of Peoria.

Phoenix is a much nicer city all around!!

Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 PM

101 posts, read 210,640 times
I have never been to Phoenix, and I think it's pretty ridiculous to compare two cities that are so different in size ... but WOW, you guys are way off on Peoria. It's a great small city. The area has almost 400,000 people, so it's not too big and it's not too small. (I personally prefer a big city and hated moving to the suburbs with the family, but Peoria is a nice "in between.") Peoria has some sketchy areas, but all cities do ... if you surpass 100,000 in population, you're just going to have some bad areas. The actual downtown of Peoria is really pretty. With the bluff, the river and a nice downtown, I love Peoria. I would never compare it to a Chicago or a Phoenix, but so what?

Peoria is a great city. Pretty stunned at those who have lived there that don't like it, because it's a great place to live. Some of the best food I've ever had too!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Phoenix is gorgeous. Peoria is pretty dumpy.
Phoenix is not gorgeous.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:00 PM

6 posts, read 49,537 times
THIS is an ' apples to oranges ' comparison. Why compare geographic regions and metros with little or no similarities? Btw, for all who didn't already know it, (suburban Phoenix) Peoria AZ was founded by settlers from the original Illinois namesake. Rather than engage in a ridiculous verbal exchange or civic sparring, I would rather let a factual profile (see Wikipedia link below) speak for itself.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoria,_Illinois

Old 06-02-2019, 02:33 PM

4,524 posts, read 5,096,608 times
This is an absurd city comparison, but since my folks were born/raised in Peoria, Caterpillar City all the way, baby! Spent a lot of time there, growing up, and was there for a family funeral a decade or so ago ... As small towns go, Peoria isn't the total, boring Podunk City most folks tend to think... It's a small city rather than a town; it has a major university in Bradley and a rather substantial downtown -- largely expanded/funded by hometown pride Caterpillar Corp-- and cultural city for its size... They even have a substantial zoo. And, of course, politics-wise, you know what they say... "If it doesn't play in Peoria ..."

Also, while I really have only traveled the Illinois corridor from Chicago to Peoria, and Champaign-Urbana (to the U of I main campus), I would have to surmise that Peoria, by far, is the hilliest city in otherwise pancake-flat Illinois. The entrance into the city over the Peoria Lake/Illinois River from the eastern bluffs (East Peoria), is quite dramatic; almost mountainous... The drive down Knoxville Ave, Peoria's main drive, from 'the Heights' into downtown is quite steep, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City