Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you rather reside?
Atlanta 53 38.13%
Philly 86 61.87%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I agree that "diminishes" wasn't the most fitting word to use, but I thought he clarified what he meant in later posts. But by the time, he was already tarred and feathered. Give the guy a break.
Well I think he owes us an apology. Because we got offended. I grew up with Black people in The Bronx.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:09 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well I think he owes us an apology. Because we got offended. I grew up with Black people in The Bronx.
I agree, it seems that many posters on here think he deserves a special pass because he is a southerner.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:48 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree, it seems that many posters on here think he deserves a special pass because he is a southerner.
I like how you intentionally ignored my post.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Quote:

I definitely wasn't offended and I'm sure there are lots of African Americans in Atlanta that would not have been offended either. The whole issue of Atlanta rapidly becoming more white is a big issue here. It and it's political and economic implications have been discussed greatly by whites and blacks in this city and many many times on the Atlanta CD forum.

Many blacks have voiced the opinion that it may actually be good for Atlanta to become more diverse through the influx of whites (and others) into the city. Many, however, feel it will diminish the political power of blacks in a city where blacks carry alot of power and have historically used that power to make many economic gains through the guarantee of fair distribution of opportunities and fair treatment.

If anything Afonega may not have been implying that the city would do better because an absence of blacks would make the city better but that it would make the city more appealing to many non blacks that are intimidated by the preponderance of blacks and black culture inside the city. This is not a slap in blacks face but an assumption that whites and others aren't as ready to deal with a majority black situation as we blacks are willing to deal with majority white situations. An assumption I find may not be unwarranted based on alot of things I've seen in this country and especially in Atlanta.

I also don't see how anyone would think someone should be allowed to make racist statements because they are Southern (quite the contrary I think). And If you doubt that Afonega or I are black you simply need look at our previous post going back. Many things said by us in the past would make it apparent that we are African American.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:08 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I definitely wasn't offended and I'm sure there are lots of African Americans in Atlanta that would not have been offended either. The whole issue of Atlanta rapidly becoming more white is a big issue here. It and it's political and economic implications have been discussed greatly by whites and blacks in this city and many many times on the Atlanta CD forum.

Many blacks have voiced the opinion that it may actually be good for Atlanta to become more diverse through the influx of whites (and others) into the city. Many, however, feel it will diminish the political power of blacks in a city where blacks carry alot of power and have historically used that power to make many economic gains through the guarantee of fair distribution of opportunities and fair treatment.

If anything Afonega may not have been implying that the city would do better because an absence of blacks would make the city better but that it would make the city more appealing to many non blacks that are intimidated by the preponderance of blacks and black culture inside the city. This is not a slap in blacks face but an assumption that whites and others aren't as ready to deal with a majority black situation as we blacks are willing to deal with majority white situations. An assumption I find may not be unwarranted based on alot of things I've seen in this country and especially in Atlanta.

I also don't see how anyone would think someone should be allowed to make racist statements because they are Southern (quite the contrary I think). And If you doubt that Afonega or I are black you simply need look at our previous post going back. Many things said by us in the past would make it apparent that we are African American.
Well see afonega should have said what you said " that it may actually be good for Atlanta to become more diverse through the influx of whites (and others) into the city." The keyword here is White (and others) into the city. Afonega did not state that. He only stated that there should be more Whites, and less black. So I stick to what I said before. He owe us an apology. Maybe you write on his behalf since you are from the South. Afonega did not sound correct. Why is it that the Northerners me, Dailyjournalist seems to be offended by what Afonega said? Are you being unbiased now, since Afonega is from the South?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
He doesn't owe anyone an apology. If you guys took what he said the wrong way, that's y'all fault, not his. Get some thick skin and get over it, please. I'm Black and wasn't offended in any way. And if you think that I'm sticking up for afonega1 because he's from the South, you'd be wrong; you can go to the Atlanta forum for yourself and see where I harshly disagreed with other Southerners about issues relating to race and other things. Y'all just need to move, give it a rest, and stop acting all self-righteously.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
I have read all post and I sincerely thank all those you understood and supported what I thought I said correctly.
I have a couple of things to say in response so this can be rested.

1)I will not apologize for my intent.It was well meaning ,and what I thought was indisputably the right thing to say, as it was how I felt.For clarification I will reiterate my thoghts and my reasoning for what I said.
As a proud black man I love Atlanta and its richness of it black culture.(I am black so drop it already).I was responding to poster that said what I said was "racist".My response was basically "I'm not racist".That meant (nycricanpapi),that I espouse to the belief that ALL MEN ARE created equal ,not just black.I believe if you do something wrong whether you are black or white,you should expect equal consequences. My whole point of the matter was that Atlanta would only benefit if the city became more of a city where whites and blacks that have historically have avoided each other(ie. white flight,racism),we could transcend the issue of race by whites and blacks getting over there fear of living in close proximity of each other.The same is true for some of our farthest suburbs as they are very "white".In such case more blacks should move there as well.I would not live in a place like that either.

Daily Journalist decided that I was just being racist.Well what if I were white?Would I have still been wrong?No.I would have felt really bad for the white person who would have said such a thing because they would have been nailed to the wall.Even if black people were from the South and the white guy was too,trust me,geographic location would have NOTHING to do with it.That is the most ridiculous thing in the world!
Diminish means: 1 : to make less or cause to appear less <diminish an army's strength>
Why is my use of this word negative?Had I said that "those black people should be diminished out of Atlanta because they are bringing the city down" ,then yes I can see the uproar of such an untrue abrasive statement.As it were I ONLY said to DIMINISH.I did not say any thing other than that.Admit it,you automatically assumed I was a white male being prejudiced.That was YOUR assumption.(You do know what they say about ASSumptions do you not?

I think many of you that are from the North have no idea what real racism is.You cannot understand how the issue of race still affects us somewhat today.

My grand father was burned in South Georgia in the early 1970s.I was around 3 or 4 years old.I remember to this day how the house that I lived in was burned to the ground by three "racist white men".They served 3 years in jail even though they admitted to the crime.My Grandfather was one of the first black Majors in the Army in his particular command during WW2.He was awarded several commendations for bravery and was crippled after the war.He could not get out of the house.During this time my own father was in Vietnam fighting a war where he was routinely called "******" and everything else under the sun by some of the people he was on the same side with.My father grew up with constant beating from white people.

The thing is neither he nor my Mom NEVER told me to hate anybody.White people were not his favorite people for a while,but he never hated or taught me any hate or prejudice.Growing up in Warner Robins,GA.There is a HUGE Air Force Base.I grew up with people from all over the world.Saikon;from Japan,Pablo from Puerto Rico,and one of my closest friends,Eric was a white guy that loved to go "snake hunting" ,"mudding",and having turd (yes,i did say TURD) fights in the lake we all lived on.(If you have to ask ,DON'T,because you really do not wanna know).Yes he was a rich "redneck" if you have not figured that out already.Not my cup of tea,but he and his family always respected me.

To cut it short,I brought all this up to help some of you understand that,if we are to become all that we can be in this world,we have to accept that OUR way is not the only way.We have to listen and accept others.That starts with us living together and learning from each other.How can we (black community) expect things to get better if we are just as closed minded as those who used to deny us what we deserved.In order to achieve that some things have to CHANGE.

Could I have chose my words more carefully?Yes.I tried to clarify in the next post,but obviously that was not enough.I refuse to grovel to anyone.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Well see afonega should have said what you said " that it may actually be good for Atlanta to become more diverse through the influx of whites (and others) into the city." The keyword here is White (and others) into the city. Afonega did not state that. He only stated that there should be more Whites, and less black. So I stick to what I said before. He owe us an apology. Maybe you write on his behalf since you are from the South. Afonega did not sound correct. Why is it that the Northerners me, Dailyjournalist seems to be offended by what Afonega said? Are you being unbiased now, since Afonega is from the South?
Why is saying less black negative?That statement by itself is not negative.You accused me for lying about my race.You do not owe me an apology?Whatever I said was not personally against you like your statement about me.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:46 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
He doesn't owe anyone an apology. If you guys took what he said the wrong way, that's y'all fault, not his. Get some thick skin and get over it, please. I'm Black and wasn't offended in any way. And if you think that I'm sticking up for afonega1 because he's from the South, you'd be wrong; you can go to the Atlanta forum for yourself and see where I harshly disagreed with other Southerners about issues relating to race and other things. Y'all just need to move, give it a rest, and stop acting all self-righteously.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
I voted for Philly. The Northeastern cities are all clumped together up there and it makes for an interesting place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City