Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
People visit LA and you take them hiking in the mountains or to the beaches????
If I wanted to go hiking or to the beach there are better places to go than big city like LA. Do you really think that someone would fly across the globe to go hiking in the mountains or to the beach?
I was talking about tourist experience in the city and not surprisingly you can't show me anything that would be of interest to international tourist other than the studios. No wonder LA doesn't get that many international tourists as new York.
That stuff, in addition to all the touristy things previously mentioned, yes. There are few places (L.A. might be the only one) where you go to the studios, amusement parks, etc. AND got to the beach AND hike in the mountains AND shop in the best boutiques AND go to the best clubs in the world AND go to world class museums all in the same place.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Are you sure? I don't know a tourist who came to New York and opted to go hiking in Catskills or to Jones Beach over the city experience....
That's because New York isn't known for hiking or beaches like L.A. isn't known for its "Manhattan-like urban experience". It's simply the difference between Los Angeles and New York that you. Do. Not. Understand.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:54 PM

318 posts, read 320,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
That stuff, in addition to all the touristy things previously mentioned, yes. There are few places (L.A. might be the only one) where you go to the studios, amusement parks, etc. AND got to the beach AND hike in the mountains AND shop in the best boutiques AND go to the best clubs in the world AND go to world class museums all in the same place.
Buddy, we are talking about Euroepan tourist and some believe that best clubs are in Ibiza, best shopping in London, paris and Monte Carlo. We are talking about the things that are unique, things that could draw an international tourist to visit LA... I think you should be obvious by now why more interntional tourist visits New York than LA...

Old 07-12-2009, 05:57 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
For the most part, I agree. the attraction of L.A. has never been about the city proper. What's your point? That doesn't mean there's less to do in the L.A. metro than anywhere else.
Yes but we are talking about city proper and NYC has a whole bunch of events. Example today we had a total of 288 events going on throughout the five boroughs. Manhattan having the most, Brooklyn Having the Second most then Queens then the Bronx and SI

Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
That's because New York isn't known for hiking or beaches like L.A. isn't known for its "Manhattan-like urban experience". It's simply the difference between Los Angeles and New York that you. Do. Not. Understand.

But there is no reason to come to LA to have the hiking and beache experience, there are plenty of other locations much more famous for hiking and beaches... In other words to have that experience you do not have to come to LA. When people visit a big city they weant a big city experience and not to be immediately take outside of city limits to have a countryside experience... You can have that everywhere else including New York with the caveat that Atlantic is much warmer than Pacific.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Yes but we are talking about city proper and NYC has a whole bunch of events. Example today we had a total of 288 events going on throughout the five boroughs. Manhattan having the most, Brooklyn Having the Second most then Queens then the Bronx and SI
It's stupid to compare L.A. city proper and NYC city proper. Most of the cultural activities in Los Angeles are not actually in Los Angeles, that's now how Los Angeles has been built in the last 100 years - the comparison between the two city propers is stupid because things to do in New York have always been based on the proper, which is different from L.A. What's hard to understand?

If you want to argue proper vs proper then New York wins, but when people visit L.A. they don't stay in the proper so it's a pointless argument to have.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Buddy, we are talking about Euroepan tourist and some believe that best clubs are in Ibiza, best shopping in London, paris and Monte Carlo. We are talking about the things that are unique, things that could draw an international tourist to visit LA... I think you should be obvious by now why more interntional tourist visits New York than LA...
So if you want the best clubs you go ti Ibiza, then you go to London to shop then to Paris to eat blah blah, what's unique is that you get all these things in Los Angeles. One place. That's the draw.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
So if you want the best clubs you go ti Ibiza, then you go to London to shop then to Paris to eat blah blah, what's unique is that you get all these things in Los Angeles. One place. That's the draw.
Right right. There are no great clubs and shopping in London. There are no great clubs and shopping in Paris or Rome. Only in LA
Your view of the world makes me believe that you have never been to Europe in the first place ...

Old 07-12-2009, 06:09 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
It's stupid to compare L.A. city proper and NYC city proper. Most of the cultural activities in Los Angeles are not actually in Los Angeles, that's now how Los Angeles has been built in the last 100 years - the comparison between the two city propers is stupid because things to do in New York have always been based on the proper, which is different from L.A. What's hard to understand?

If you want to argue proper vs proper then New York wins, but when people visit L.A. they don't stay in the proper so it's a pointless argument to have.
Actually whats stupid is to compare the out side areas. LA city proper is 100 sq mi larger than NYC city proper. If you go any further we would have to start adding stuff. This is like the other thread where someone wanted to put LA county against NYC and call it fair when LA county is what the name implies and has over 1000 sq mi of land and NYC has 304 sq mi. When you see a list of the largest cities or cities with the best this or that they only include city propers.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:10 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Haha no, you're underestimating Manhattan and overestimating Hollywood. The first two times I went to New York I never left Manhattan, as many people do.

Hollywood (excluding studios) is a day activity, not somewhere you can stay for a week and be perfectly entertained (a la Manhattan).
I might have overestimated hollywood. As a new yorker how could i underestimate manhattan. So what atractions are there outside hollywood, la's main center. This is not a jab im just asking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City