Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city offers the best institutions of higher education?
Los Angeles 26 34.67%
Washington D.C. 17 22.67%
New York City 32 42.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:43 PM

83 posts, read 279,865 times

Advertisements

Seing how the question compared NYC to LA and Washington DC.....

1. NYC
2. LA
3. DC

It is not a vulgar stretch to say that Yale falls in the NYC orbit..... simply put, there is a slightly greater diveristy and net contribution to higher education in the Tri-State area than in Southern California in all fields. Yes, it is close, and an arguement could be made either way.

My observations are this:
1) The respective nexuses of academia on either coast are Boston and the Bay Area
2) While "Best College" lists are almost always rather subjective, the US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT list is generally regarded as the most accurate by the Colleges themselves
3) You must include the various graduate schools in your ranking - a pure engineering school may rank higher on an undergraduate level than a proper university, but will not crank out the prestigious MDs, JDs and MBAs that are often associated with more pedestrian academic excellence. You have to include a broader "higher education metric" than just building things for NASA.

Last edited by kuato; 07-12-2009 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
To you it's stupid to most people it's the NYC Metro Area.
No, actually it's the CSA area. To most people the NY metropolitan area is NYC-Northern new Jersey-Long Island.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
No, actually it's the CSA area. To most people the NY metropolitan area is NYC-Northern new Jersey-Long Island.
Oh yes because because its called the tri-state area. Its called the tri state area because NJ, NY, and CT are so close to each other. The Metro also includes PA(if you paid attention to my previous post). Yes according to official boundaries thats considered the Metro but its so relatively close that it can be apart of the metro area. Atlantic City is way further than both and its like considered apart of NYC because of close access. Going to Washington DC takes about 4 hours by car how long do you think it will take to get these places. And Philadelphia being so close.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Oh yes because because its called the tri-state area. Its called the tri state area because NJ, NY, and CT are so close to each other. The Metro also includes PA(if you paid attention to my previous post). Yes according to official boundaries thats considered the Metro but its so relatively close that it can be apart of the metro area. Atlantic City is way further than both and its like considered apart of NYC because of close access. Going to Washington DC takes about 4 hours by car how long do you think it will take to get these places. And Philadelphia being so close.
1. None of what you just said made any sense at all.
2. Atlantic City is in southern New Jersey and is not part of the New York metropolitan or CSA area.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
1. None of what you just said made any sense at all.
2. Atlantic City is in southern New Jersey and is not part of the New York metropolitan or CSA area.
Oh wow only people who live in the tri-state area knows everything i said makes since. It wouldnt make sense to an outsider. Actually it makes perfect sense.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Oh wow only people who live in the tri-state area knows everything i said makes since. It wouldnt make sense to an outsider. Actually it makes perfect sense.
Apparently not New Yorkers must have learned how to read non-english jibberish.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Apparently not New Yorkers must have learned how to read non-english jibberish.
"sigh"

Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I don't think Princeton is really that much more affiliated with Philly. Anyhow, it's your topic, and if you don't want to include the CSA (which I agree is a rather huge area), then fine.

Without the CSA, it'd be a three-way between NYC, the Southland, and the Bay Area with LA being severely underrated by most. The two California areas are generally better when it comes to engineering and the sciences, but NYC picks up that slack through its mix of specialty schools and role in the performing and fine arts (to basketballkev: as I've said before, these rankings are generally strongly weighted towards research-oriented fields such as the math and sciences). DC would be further down the list from these, and Boston would be further up.

Other interesting metros to discuss would be Atlanta, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Chicago which all have more than one highly ranked college/university within the metro. Any others?

Old 07-12-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think Princeton is really that much more affiliated with Philly. Anyhow, it's your topic, and if you don't want to include the CSA (which I agree is a rather huge area), then fine.

Without the CSA, it'd be a three-way between NYC, the Southland, and the Bay Area with LA being severely underrated by most. The two California areas are generally better when it comes to engineering and the sciences, but NYC picks up that slack through its mix of specialty schools and role in the performing and fine arts (to basketballkev: as I've said before, these rankings are generally strongly weighted towards research-oriented fields such as the math and sciences). DC would be further down the list from these, and Boston would be further up.

Other interesting metros to discuss would be Atlanta, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Chicago which all have more than one highly ranked college/university within the metro. Any others?
I think it's more affiliated with Philly, but in reality, it isn't part of either. As was discussed in my thread about Philadelphia, there is a strange trend in the northeast where the major cities (DC, Philly, NYC, Boston) seem to be gobbling up any land with a house on it. (Amherst and Providence into Boston, New Haven and Atlantic City into NYC). Why can't people just be ok with some cities being independent from larger metros? Maybe Princeton can just stand on its own without being fought over by huge agglomerations.

And yes, there is potential for more city comparisons in higher education, particularly with Chicago - I think would be a fun debate.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:22 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Yea, sorry for derailing everything by using the CSA. I mean, it is a pretty easy commute from New Haven and Princeton to the city, but it is a damn big area. I'd love for cities to be able to contain themselves and keep their distinct identities--don't look like it'll be happening.

Chicago's schools have been really influential. It's really hard to figure out how that ranks since the University of Chicago seems to have such a unique and rigorous curriculum (read: misery-inducing according to a friend of mine).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City