Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Lifestyle is for you?
LA Lifestyle 26 45.61%
NY Lifestyle 31 54.39%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 PM

74 posts, read 278,946 times

Advertisements

Which do you Prefer? how do they Differ?

Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Assuming "LA lifestyle" does not refer to that of celebrities or wannabes, I'll take it.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 PM

74 posts, read 278,946 times
^ Correct! Screw that B.S. Just the Lifestyle of everday life in LA. Not that Rich people,Celebrity crap!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,232 times
NYC and LA couldn't be more different. These two cities draw comparisons only in relation to market size, and their respective place within it: numbers one and two. Beyond that, lifestyles reside at opposite ends of the spectrum.

For a big city experience, LA would not be my recommendation. Although statically big, LA does not have any of the definable characteristics we tend to associate with "city living". Los Angeles is more of a giant suburb with several, smaller centers. Santa Monica is the closest area to an urban atmosphere.

Personally, I enjoy big cities, and therefore find NYC to be the only option. It is the biggest, most influential city in the USA, and one of the most culturally dominate cities of the world. It is considered part of the "top three", (London, New York, Tokyo), and is arguably the unofficial capitol of the world. (After all, the world's oldest and largest free market and the UN are headquartered in NY). These factors bring a distinct, international and sophisticated angle to NYC that is simply nonexistent in LA. Having lived in both cities (currently in NYC) I feel qualified to comment.

One edge LA does have.... better weather.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:24 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times
Both lifestyles are cool. I like houses with a backyard, being near a beach, nice weather, and beautiful mountains and hills. But I also like vibrant, energetic places with bustling skyscrapers and high-rises. So either way...both cities are cool.

A typical neighborhood in NYC isn't that appealing, but then again...so is a typical neighborhood in LA. However, Manhattan is amazing, but then again so is Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Bel-Air.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:24 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,489 times
LA

I will take the laid back lifestyle over NY's stressed out lifestyle anyday

Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
NYC and LA couldn't be more different. These two cities draw comparisons only in relation to market size, and their respective place within it: numbers one and two. Beyond that, lifestyles reside at opposite ends of the spectrum.

For a big city experience, LA would not be my recommendation. Although statically big, LA does not have any of the definable characteristics we tend to associate with "city living". Los Angeles is more of a giant suburb with several, smaller centers. Santa Monica is the closest area to an urban atmosphere.

Personally, I enjoy big cities, and therefore find NYC to be the only option. It is the biggest, most influential city in the USA, and one of the most culturally dominate cities of the world. It is considered part of the "top three", (London, New York, Tokyo), and is arguably the unofficial capitol of the world. (After all, the world's oldest and largest free market and the UN are headquartered in NY). These factors bring a distinct, international and sophisticated angle to NYC that is simply nonexistent in LA. Having lived in both cities (currently in NYC) I feel qualified to comment.

OK, WTH does that have to do with lifestyle?

I pick LA

Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times
Never been to NYC but I have been to LA. Didn't like LA much at all but I'd take its lifestyle over NYC. Particularly the Santa Monica beach lifestyle and the inland hills lifestyle. Would not like the traffic of either place but I think LA is better to drive in. Would prefer the NYC restaurant lifestyle over LA, though. Generally speaking, NYC comes across as this place where everybody's rushing and stressed and cramped like sardines, and LA comes across as this place that is more laid back while curiously still being energetic. Plus I like single family homes and townhomes WAY better than apartments and condos.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:47 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post

Wow! Have you actually been to L.A.? Cause if you think Santa Monica is the only urban area in LA than it's obvious you know hardly anything about LA. Santa Monica is fairly urban, but still just a beach town. LA has lots to offer including dense urban areas. Also for the record the UN has no real power and LA is already internationaly knowed.

Last edited by Hollywood Inquirer; 07-17-2009 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,772,513 times
New York lifestyle is more sophisticated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City