Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Skyline
Raleigh, Nc 45 56.96%
Norfolk, Va 34 43.04%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:51 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,694 times

Advertisements

Guys, I know you all could probably care less..lol.

But a SC developer came to Norfolk last week and announced he is renovating abandoned downtown buildings into 1000-1500 middle class apartments. Norfolk has also hired a retail consultant and a company called "Downtown Works." This is a big deal for us because currently the only people who can afford to live downtown are persons making $80,000+. The downtown population will increase dramatically with the addition of middle income housing.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Guys, I know you all could probably care less..lol.

But a SC developer came to Norfolk last week and announced he is renovating abandoned downtown buildings into 1000-1500 middle class apartments. Norfolk has also hired a retail consultant and a company called "Downtown Works." This is a big deal for us because currently the only people who can afford to live downtown are persons making $80,000+. The downtown population will increase dramatically with the addition of middle income housing.
Thas wassup. It is a great place to live. I miss Mac Arthur mall.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:42 PM

yah MacArthur's coool,

Norfolk and HR will get much better the more light rail is built out, something Raleigh should get with!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:11 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times
Once again you make a thread and get angry like an immature kid when people disagree with you. Why make it when you're just going to call people "crazy" if they disagree with you. Like others have said, you seem to be trying to get an ego boost about where you live. If it's as great of a place for you as you think, you shouldn't have to try so hard to convince others. If everyone liked the same thing, we'd all be in the same city.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Once again you make a thread and get angry like an immature kid when people disagree with you. Why make it when you're just going to call people "crazy" if they disagree with you. Like others have said, you seem to be trying to get an ego boost about where you live. If it's as great of a place for you as you think, you shouldn't have to try so hard to convince others. If everyone liked the same thing, we'd all be in the same city.
I said it in a jokingly way.

But iight.

If I said Philly has a better skyline than NYC. I bet I'd get BLASTED by everyone, even If I honestly believed it was true.
IMO its te same as Norfolk to Raleigh.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM

882 posts, read 2,246,124 times
Definitely Raleigh! Norfolk has a "short" skyline, that doesnt mean its bad, just that its not that tall, which makes it hard to be impressive, even for its size, imo. To me, this means that no one building will stand out, because its not tall enough to stand out, so even if Norfolk had better-looking buildings, we wouldn't be able to tell, because its short.

In Raleigh's skyline, i could definitely see and be able to distinct its buildings and admire them, but with Norfolk, im playing a scavenger hunt to try to find a nice-looking building.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
I'd say Raleigh IMHO; it's skyline appears denser and more architecturally varied.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
If I said Philly has a better skyline than NYC. I bet I'd get BLASTED by everyone, even If I honestly believed it was true.
IMO its te same as Norfolk to Raleigh.
PLEASE tell me you are joking. You can't honestly believe that NYC is to Philly as Norfolk is to Raleigh. That's the biggest joke I have EVER heard on here.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
PLEASE tell me you are joking. You can't honestly believe that NYC is to Philly as Norfolk is to Raleigh. That's the biggest joke I have EVER heard on here.
IMO it is! It's subjective!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
IMO it is! It's subjective!
I'm sorry, that's not subjective at all; that's boosterism bordering on insanity. Tell me what in the world does Norfolk's skyline have that makes it THAT much superior to Raleigh's? You just posted a picture of eight run-of-the-mill boxes with average to mediocre architecture in Norfolk like everybody is supposed to tremble at that or something. Most people, even those who are biased towards Norfolk, would at least admit the similarities of both skylines and that they are both on the same level more or less. Philly's skyline, as great and underrated as it is, is nowhere near NYC's level whatsoever and it would take decades, no, centuries, for it to be. I'm sorry dude, you are just being overly biased. You can't get away with the subjectivity argument on this one. I suggest you create a thread pitting Norfolk's skyline against Wichita's for an instant ego boost because now you're just talking out of the side of your neck.

I'm not beating up on Norfolk or anything even though it might seem like that, but your bias and boosterism need to be put in check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City