Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM

115 posts, read 266,596 times

Advertisements

And what would the those reasons be? JObs? Dating? Change? Politics? I mainly left (for now) just for new experience and to pursue professional sports, get some better job experience and meet new people. I like to move about, often. It's good in many ways...

"but most middle age adults have left the city, and for many great and valid reasons, which people tend to ignore."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
Not exactly true, it depends what area and circumstances, its true new york is more geared for long term residents who have been living here, as far as big city amentities there are plenty of other cities that beat pittsburgh while offering higher salaries, now of course pittsburgh's median income statistics are skewed due to senior citizens and college students, however at $44 its not high but now low, but most middle age adults have left the city, and for many great and valid reasons, which people tend to ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:45 AM

656 posts, read 1,420,447 times
People have left for mostly economic reasons, and there are many reasons as to why, perhaps maybe a little homework (both from the various media/research/economic study groups and from native-born Pittsburgh people) and find out those reasons, however students and senior citizens tend to stay around as they aren't usually settled down and are working professionals. The decline has slowed somewhat but so have other cities in that region.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:03 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
I think that if I were to choose to live in a small city in NYC's shadow, I'd choose Boston (which I adore).

Pittsburgh's nice, but... not the greatest city in the US.

I believe the survey does point out an important factor: NYC offers an amazing, truly awesome array of activities and lifestyles, but it doesn't really offer a lifestyle one might call "comfortable" or "easy to live". It's advantages have serious drawbacks, and I think to many (especially the people on this board) it appears flawless... And that just isn't the case.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:12 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
It's funny, because before this, it was all gloom & doom in the Pittsburgh forum. I think it's a lovely town, and I personally like the style of a lot of the stores.. very old school, but I can't understand why so many of its residents have to be so depressive?
A couple reasons:
The media portrays the city as worthless,
The population loss,
and the constant bashing heard from other people

=

P^ssed off.

Cleveland is in the same boat. Although, the simple name 'Cleveland' brings more negative thoughts(mostly unjustified). Cleveland is usually right around the tops on Economist top 140 for the US as well, it's probably right below Pitt.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
A recent study by AutoVantage showed NYC coming it at #1 for road rage. I think THAT #1 ranking makes Pittsburgh the better pick between the two. Plus, I dare say it's almost impossible to live in NYC and save up for a big retirement nest egg. It's almost like generally speaking, for the common person, to live in NYC is to sacrifice your financial future. Pittsburgh doesn't require that kind of sacrifice, while still offering big city amenities with much less rude drivers.
Uhhh who cares, most people don't drive in NYC... NYC is still one of the best places to make a lot of money once you hit biglaw/big corp exec level/politics/advertising/media/publishing/etc. Bad place to work at mcdonalds though... If you are very talented and ambitious NYC will let you succeed, in Pittsburgh you could easily by stifled...
Really have to consider how your career will be from 45-65 when people start seriously putting the money away.
If you want to move to Pittsburgh have at it, but I thought you were just moving to State college or somehting...

Old 08-10-2009, 01:05 AM

294 posts, read 659,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Pick View Post
Yes. Some people know it as Pittsburgh, West Virginia.

If you are geographically stupid then I guess this would suffice.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-SV View Post
Where is Pittsburgh? In the boonies?

I'm not familiar.
Watch on your TV from Sept 23-25... it will be front and center as the host of the G20 Summit.

What the hell does "boonies" mean anyway?? Not on the coasts? Well then 90% of American cities are in the "boonies" then. I can't help but laugh at all of the geographically ignorant people on this board.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 AM

134 posts, read 412,951 times
Pittsburgh has many things going for it,but I wouldn't compare it to a major city like NYC---more to see and do,higher wages. On the negative side NYC has a MUCH higher cost of living,but I think most cities on or near the coast---Boston,NY,Philadelphia (the nicer areas),DC,etc are much more costly then say Pittsburgh or Columbus,OH,etc.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I think that if I were to choose to live in a small city in NYC's shadow, I'd choose Boston (which I adore).

Pittsburgh's nice, but... not the greatest city in the US.

I believe the survey does point out an important factor: NYC offers an amazing, truly awesome array of activities and lifestyles, but it doesn't really offer a lifestyle one might call "comfortable" or "easy to live". It's advantages have serious drawbacks, and I think to many (especially the people on this board) it appears flawless... And that just isn't the case.

Um, what kind of "shadow" would that be? Pittsburgh isn't even on the East Coast so how can it be in the shadow of NYC?

I believe the G20 summit next month is in PITTSBURGH and not NYC, so if any "shadow" does exist then we sure are pulling ourselves out of it very quickly.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Uhhh who cares, most people don't drive in NYC... NYC is still one of the best places to make a lot of money once you hit biglaw/big corp exec level/politics/advertising/media/publishing/etc.
So it's great for like 1% of the population. And for the rest of the folks, it's "house poor" living amidst rude drivers. As far as most people not driving, I heard one NYer in here one time talk about how usually the bus going from Manhattan into Queens in the evening crawls at a snail's pace- the traffic was THAT horrendous. So traffic headaches are noticed even by people who don't drive. Add that to the cost of living, and the result is the same for me: Pittsburgh is the better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City