Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 08:23 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
that may be true only for areas even smaller than places like hempstead ny but not cities like dc or even compton and flint. dc was consistently more dangerous than chicago and it still is. the murder rate of ne and se dc was and still is multiple times higher than south side of chicago and that's a fact, consistently too.

both chicago and dc were bad but people making up an excuse that chicago had a lower crime rate because it was bigger is plain ignorance of the system and the socio-economic balance of cities correlating to their size.

size has nothing to do with it (unless of course the city has like 20,000 people) and stats don't get diluted by good areas any more in chicago than they do in dc. when washington dc and the part of pg county that touches dc had probably around 700 murders in 1991 while chicago had 922, and dc did it in an area of maybe 800,000 people people while chicago had it in a city of 3 million, then i think that says just about all that needs to be said.

Yeah, Im not trying to brag about crime cause thats retarted......

but Like I said a couple pages back in this thread, If you knew anything about the south side you'd know that back then (and even right now) there were quite a few stable neighborhoods that saw little crime and gang activity, thus making the bad areas VERY bad. It seems like you want D.C. to be more dangerous but to each his own.

And why do people keep bringing up PG County? That would be like somebody Adding Gary, Harvey, Robbins and all the other South Burbs to Chicago's count.

mas23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Yeah, Im not trying to brag about crime cause thats retarted......

but Like I said a couple pages back in this thread, If you knew anything about the south side you'd know that back then (and even right now) there were quite a few stable neighborhoods that saw little crime and gang activity, thus making the bad areas VERY bad. It seems like you want D.C. to be more dangerous but to each his own.

And why do people keep bringing up PG County? That would be like somebody Adding Gary, Harvey, Robbins and all the other South Burbs to Chicago's count.

mas23
Because SE D.C. is so small and virtually is connected and apart of Maryland. You can't really tell the difference between the two at the border. I didn't know Gary Indiana shared borders with Chicago by the way.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
they don't border eachother but Gary (whether it likes it or not) is Chicago's suburb/exurb.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 PM

170 posts, read 391,460 times
i live on the far south side of chicago, and it takes longer for me to get to the far north side of the city (45 min) then it does gary (25 min)

Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 PM

617 posts, read 1,423,769 times
I know this thread is about the 90's but remember watching this on ABC some years ago:
Peter Jennings Reporting: LAPD - Watch the Documentary Film for ...

Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
i live on the far south side of chicago, and it takes longer for me to get to the far north side of the city (45 min) then it does gary (25 min)
That's crazy, you can get to Baltimore from D.C. in 25 minutes too. Thank goodness Baltimore which is 25 minutes from D.C. is not included in D.C.'s totals though. D.C.'s murder totals in the 90's would have been genocide.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
well since you want to stay stuck on a murder rate..then you must admit that gary,in was the worse city in the 90's..it had a murder rate of 91 per 100,000..and the city had over 100,000 residents at the time so it can compare with d.c
if gary had 91 per 100,000 in 1991 and it was as big as you say, then dc wouldn't have been the murder capital then. but it was.

gary for the most part is just like east st louis; more or less a side of a city and not a city. it's basically equivalent to ne/se dc but without the other sides of a city. i have no doubt in my mind gary was and still is bad, but you can't compare those types of cities to cities with sides like dc, baltimore, philly, or chicago. maybe i shouldn't have used compton and flint as examples, but a city needs to at least have legit sides to compare to other cities with legit sides or else you'd have to compare specific sides of cities to places like gary and compton.

gary's murder rate was 91 per 100,000 in 1991. ne/se dc was 200 per 100,000. but of course nw/sw dc really dropped the crime rate down just like the north side chicago did to chicago. ne/se dc was unmatched. ne/se dc had a higher crime rate in 1991 than juarez did in 2008. juarez rate was 130 per 100,000 in 2008, which is 70 per 100,000 less than ne/se dc was in 1991. and juarez is like a giant gary but in mexico, it really has little to no good sides. now juarez runs around 200 per 100,000, which about equals ne/se dc in 1991.

so if you want to try and tell me south side chicago or gary was worse, then we can really start picking at the stats because ne/se dc blew both gary and south side chicago out of the water.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 02-24-2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 04:10 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
At the end of the day to me real crime stats should vary by neighborhood(NOT CITY)

For example a lot of thse so called murder cap cities such as baltimore are actually overrated. why? Because their ghettos are just like every ghetto in america and the only reason why the city has a high murder rate is because the ghetto makes up a huge portion of baltimore where as in other cities the exact same type of ghettos will make up a small part of the city(their for making the murder rate for that city low).

overall crime stats are pure bs to me. It makes people ignore one side of the city whether it be good or bad.

with Baltimore overall crime rate a blind person would think all of Baltimore is bad, and with Seattle overall crime rate a blind person would think everywhere in Seattle is a safe haven.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:55 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Are ppl saying DC wasnt as bad as the stats say in the 90's? Even New Orleans folks will tell you DC was murder cap of the 90's..the stats say it too..DC still has the 2nd highest overrall murder rate for the last 20 years and hasnt led the nation in murder rates in the last 10 years all on the strength of the 90's..If Wayne Perry killed 100 ppl and everyone knew, what does that say about the state of your city. From 1988 -1997 DC didnt even manage to have a murder rate lower than 57/100k in almost 10 years...... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...LtIDd4hUfmCpPA

Old 02-24-2011, 05:24 PM

170 posts, read 391,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
if gary had 91 per 100,000 in 1991 and it was as big as you say, then dc wouldn't have been the murder capital then. but it was.
the thread is about the 90's in general, not just 91..and no city in the 90's had a murder rate as high as gary did..which was in 94

Quote:
gary for the most part is just like east st louis; more or less a side of a city and not a city. it's basically equivalent to ne/se dc but without the other sides of a city. i have no doubt in my mind gary was and still is bad, but you can't compare those types of cities to cities with sides like dc, baltimore, philly, or chicago. maybe i shouldn't have used compton and flint as examples, but a city needs to at least have legit sides to compare to other cities with legit sides or else you'd have to compare specific sides of cities to places like gary and compton.
lol here you go again with this "legit side" talk..there is a actual,east,west,north,south side to gary and all sides aren't as bad as others..and back in the 90's, d.c had maybe more or less 400,000 more people then gary, while chicago had over 2 million more people then d.c..now why would you think d.c is worthy of being compared to chi, but not gary???

Quote:
gary's murder rate was 91 per 100,000 in 1991. ne/se dc was 200 per 100,000. but of course nw/sw dc really dropped the crime rate down just like the north side chicago did to chicago. ne/se dc was unmatched. ne/se dc had a higher crime rate in 1991 than juarez did in 2008. juarez rate was 130 per 100,000 in 2008, which is 70 per 100,000 less than ne/se dc was in 1991. and juarez is like a giant gary but in mexico, it really has little to no good sides. now juarez runs around 200 per 100,000, which about equals ne/se dc in 1991.

so if you want to try and tell me south side chicago or gary was worse, then we can really start picking at the stats because ne/se dc blew both gary and south side chicago out of the water
im sure i could break down gary and specific areas of the south and west side of chicago to prove you wrong, but im not..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City