Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do you like better: Toronto VS Philadelphia
Toronto 56 66.67%
Philadelphia 28 33.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:49 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times

Advertisements

Both good

Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
I prefer a skyline with more variety. Philadelphia.

Which is bigger? Toronto. More aesthetically pleasing? Philly.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:58 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,188,171 times
Neither skyline is really long with a lot of density across the water like cities such as New York, Chicago or Miami. Both of them seem like they go back away from the water instead of on the water if you know what I mean. Therefore they both make better aerial shots than on the water shots.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:03 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,212,543 times
Toronto is better than Chicago and Philadelphia IMO

Old 06-06-2010, 08:10 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
The Toronto aerial posted doesn't even show half of the core, just the Financial District. Nor does it show the massive lakefront highrise development on the CN rail lands.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:07 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You got it.

This Toronto gushing is incredulous bordering on embarrassment.

Philadelphia closer to Toronto than Toronto is to Chicago.

Philadlephia is closer to Toronto than Atl Mia Hous are to Philadephia.

After the city passes the 1000 building mark, it starts to feel more of the same no matter what city you're in (that's why downtown Chicago and downtown Toronto feel very similar, yes I have been Toronto is my favorite city outside of US) unless the city has over 3000+ buildings then it enters a new level. (NYC & Hong Kong)
You're exaggerating, and you know it.

Number of Highrises in each city (Tall Buildings):
Philadelphia: 329
Toronto: 1814
Chicago: 1111

Chicago:
Skyscrapers of Chicago | Emporis.com
Toronto:
Skyscrapers of Toronto | Emporis.com
Philadelphia:
Skyscrapers of Philadelphia | Emporis.com

Now as a side note:

Houston has already outdone Philadelphia.

Houston: 355

Philadelphia:
Houston:
Skyscrapers of Houston | Emporis.com

If you have a source or link that you can prove my post wrong, but Emporis is a highly reliable source, and don't even bother with skyscraperpage.com (My friend is the creator of it- the population and number of buildings isn't displayed properly)

But don't even bother saying, "I have been to Toronto, and Philadelphia feels more dense and has more buildings..." state facts with facts.

I mean seriously anyone whose ever been to Philadelphia & Houston with an unbiased mind would know which one is bigger.

Take care.

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-06-2010 at 11:06 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 11:00 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,403,320 times
I understand why Philadelphia gets the support that it does. It's an impressive skyline with great density, but to take on a mega-skyline like Toronto, it's laughable!

What next, Tokyo; Shanghai? The sky's is the limit at this point!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Oh and I forgot to state this earlier, I'm going with Toronto. It's clearly my kind of skyline. Nice modern looking towers, tall buildings, good water front (as good as it gets for these two cities), and the mass of buildings. What an unfair advantage.

To Rain rock, describe to me how Philadelphia even compares to this mass:
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/614/arial.png

The reason the CN Tower (the needle looking building) sticks out so much is because it's the 2nd tallest free standing structure in the world after the Burj Khalifa, the CN Tower stands at 553 meters.
Philadelphia's tallest building stands at 297 meters (Just a little over half of CN Tower's height). Even without the CN Tower, Toronto's 2nd tallest is 355 meters tall. No comparison.

Oh and don't even bother playing that trick about "there used to be a height restriction" that's sucker play, freakin Dubai created the tallest skyline in the world in the past 20 years, 10 years after Philadelphia's height restriction was put off. I hate when people whine and say unnecessary BS like that to justify their post. So don't even go there.

Philadelphia should try to go off and compete with Dallas first before it competes with Toronto. That's just my opinion, it can sound harsh, but it's true, this would be like Charlotte comparing it's skyline to Los Angeles... you can like Charlotte's downtown more, hell you can even like Charlotte's building more, but you have to give Los Angeles the win in overall skyline...

Last edited by JMT; 07-19-2012 at 05:52 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 03:02 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,335 times
Good comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
You're exaggerating, and you know it.

Number of Highrises in each city (Tall Buildings):
Toronto: 1814
Chicago: 1111

Chicago:
Skyscrapers of Chicago | Emporis.com
Toronto:
Skyscrapers of Toronto | Emporis.com
Philadelphia:

Now as a side note:

Houston has already outdone Philadelphia.

Houston: 355

Philadelphia:
Houston:
Skyscrapers of Houston | Emporis.com

If you have a source or link that you can prove my post wrong, but Emporis is a highly reliable source, and don't even bother with skyscraperpage.com (My friend is the creator of it- the population and number of buildings isn't displayed properly)

But don't even bother saying, "I have been to Toronto, and Philadelphia feels more dense and has more buildings..." state facts with facts.

I mean seriously anyone whose ever been to Philadelphia & Houston with an unbiased mind would know which one is bigger.

Take care.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:49 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I really don't think Toronto is anywhere on Chicago's level and actually Philadelphia is good competition. People are gassing Toronto up too much....

http://larryhatt.com/Photos/2009/Africa/October%202/Toronto_Skyline_contact.jpg (broken link)

Please tell me that is an old picture, because that just doesn't impress me at all.
That is an old picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City