Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has produced better hip-hop/rap? Bay Area (Oakland, Vallejo, SF, etc) or Houston?
Bay Area (Oakland, Vallejo, SF, etc.) 67 63.81%
Houston 38 36.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Mainstream TV where? I've yet to see any of those here in DC.
Agreed. Maybe I just missed those songs or something lol

Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,912 times
I have to agree that chopped and screwed shouldn't be played with every song, it just doesn't go. for the most part I only like it when certain hooks are chopped and screwed while the rest of the song is at regular pace. on the other hand, i have to disagree the statement on how it didnt get out of texas because a lot of mainstream started chopping and screwing their hooks, mostly southern hip hop/rap anyway

Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
I have to agree that chopped and screwed shouldn't be played with every song, it just doesn't go. for the most part I only like it when certain hooks are chopped and screwed while the rest of the song is at regular pace. on the other hand, i have to disagree the statement on how it didnt get out of texas because a lot of mainstream started chopping and screwing their hooks, mostly southern hip hop/rap anyway
Not necessarily; Chopped and Screwed is used outside of Texas, but it's not as huge anywhere else as it is here in Texas. Same thing with Hyphy in the Bay Area. I know people like David Banner and other artist released some of their albums chopped and screwed.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Not necessarily; Chopped and Screwed is used outside of Texas, but it's not as huge anywhere else as it is here in Texas. Same thing with Hyphy in the Bay Area. I know people like David Banner and other artist released some of their albums chopped and screwed.
i know lil wayne and alot of southern west coast and mid west artists have chopped and screwed hooks but thats all ( ie money on my mind by lil wayne). I think it make songs more interesting.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,912 times
I don't think it will ever get that big but it's true, a lot of mainstream will chop and screw a line or two

Old 03-10-2010, 09:24 PM

902 posts, read 2,788,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
On a random note, David Banner is a huge fan of Bay Area rap and Hyphy lol.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 PM

902 posts, read 2,788,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Mainstream TV where? I've yet to see any of those here in DC.
Only 4 or 5 of those songs made it to national tv (I should say got heavy rotation on tv by MTV/BET), inlcuding Blow the Whistle by Too Short, That Go by Keak Da Sneak, Stunna Shades by the Federation, Vans by the Pack, and Muscle Cars by E40.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
i dont think houston is as versatile as the bay area when it comes to makin music.. u can for the most say houston has a certain sound.. whereas the bay area rap scene is a mix from one extreme to the next.. nerd rap, pimp sht, conscious, mob music.. bay area >

YouTube - Deltron 3030 - Mastermind

YouTube - Spice 1 Ft Method Man - Hard To Kill

YouTube - Zion I - Bird's Eye View

YouTube - THE JACKA FEAT. FREEWAY - "THEY DON'T KNOW" TEAR GAS JAY-Z [HQ VIDEO]

YouTube - The Loyalists - This Is For Hip Hop

YouTube - Rappin' 4-Tay - Playaz Club

YouTube - yukmouth - i love dro

Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
i dont think houston is as versatile as the bay area when it comes to makin music.. u can for the most say houston has a certain sound.. whereas the bay area rap scene is a mix from one extreme to the next.. nerd rap, pimp sht, conscious, mob music.. bay area >
Houston is actually pretty versatile imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KutXyPEEbQs

YouTube - Raheem - Dance Floor

YouTube - Odd Squad Jazz Rendition

YouTube - Buddah Baby Outro Mr 3-2

YouTube - MC Choice - Big Payback

YouTube - SPM i must be high

YouTube - Killa Kyleon & Lil Ray - Murder They Wrote

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
^all regions have diff styles but the biggest names out of houston all have similar sounds..
zro, bun b, devin the dude, all these dudes have a similar sound or song content
spice 1, 40, too short, san quinn some of the big name dudes from the bay rap about completely diff sht. then u have del, zion i, souls of mischief and other rappers with just ends of the spectrum differences in their music
btw what is the deal with ppl still cosignin that freak pedophile spm smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City