Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Northeast Corridor City?
Boston, MA 31 25.20%
Providence, RI 3 2.44%
Philadelphia, PA 31 25.20%
Baltimore, MD 8 6.50%
Washington, DC 45 36.59%
Richmond, VA 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

I voted for Philadelphia.

New York is a great place to visit, but I could never imagine myself living there. Some places can be a bit overwhelming to me. If that makes me simple-minded or unambitious, then so be it.

Boston is too liberal for me. I'm not the kind of person who listens to Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity, but I'd never fit in in a place that's been described as "the San Francisco of the East Coast."

Baltimore wouldn't want me. I'm a Steeler fan.

An unsustainable U.S. government makes Washington DC an unsustainable city by extension. Reducing the U.S. government to a proper size would result in an economic collapse locally, and those job opportunities that everybody keeps raving about would evaporate instantly.

Providence doesn't interest me.

Richmond is still a Southern city, and I've never fit in in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 12:15 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
I loved Philadelphia and I liked Washington DC, but I would live in Boston in a heartbeat. Besides, I fell in love with Massachusetts when I was there.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
An unsustainable U.S. government makes Washington DC an unsustainable city by extension. Reducing the U.S. government to a proper size would result in an economic collapse locally, and those job opportunities that everybody keeps raving about would evaporate instantly.
Most of the workforce in DC are employed by the private sector.

I voted for Baltimore but I also would not mind living in either Philadelphia.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Boston is too liberal for me. I'm not the kind of person who listens to Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity, but I'd never fit in in a place that's been described as "the San Francisco of the East Coast."
Eh, Boston is definitely a different kind of liberal than San Francisco -- much more pragmatic and less of the "shock-value" uber-nanny-state liberalism that attempts to ban Happy Meals and pet stores (I'm not exaggerating: http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-07-0...store-hamsters).

As for this poll, I am definitely biased towards Philadelphia, but Boston would be very, very close behind -- with DC third.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Most of the workforce in DC are employed by the private sector.
Eh, that's a bit misleading though. True, the majority of DC jobs are in the private sector, but a HUGE number of those are in contracting or with businesses or organizations that receive substantial funding or revenues from the government.

As a DC resident and someone who really enjoys living here, AND as a left wing Democrat, I'd also be lying if I said that DC's explosive growth didn't bother me. Defense contracting alone is a substantial component of the region's economy, and that doesn't sit well with me. Nor am I particularly enamored with the glut of contractors doing work for the government across a vast array of areas that, one could argue, should and could be performed by internal government personnel.

All that being said, anyone who decides not to move to DC because they fear that the government might suddenly contract and decimate the city's economy is not making a wise decision. The government is unlikely to get smaller, and even if it does it won't contract nearly to the size that would make an impressionable dent in the region's economy. The city may not go gangbusters the way it has over the last 15 years or so, but it will also never be Detroit. Not until the foreign armies invade and conquer the U.S., at least.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Philadelphia (love it)
Boston (love it)
DC (love it)

Baltimore (like it)

Providence (like it)

Richmond (don't hate it)

The only way Richmond could be considered "Northeast" is that it receives service on Amtrak's "Northeast Regional" service.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM

404 posts, read 595,184 times
RIchmond

Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:

New York is a great place to visit, but I could never imagine myself living there. Some places can be a bit overwhelming to me. If that makes me simple-minded or unambitious, then so be it.

Baltimore wouldn't want me. I'm a Steeler fan.

Providence doesn't interest me.

Richmond is still a Southern city, and I've never fit in in the South.
Baltimore(and DC) is a Southern City if not then Richmond is a Northern City......

Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Philadelphia because of it's compact center city. As others have stated I like Boston and Providence as well.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Poll closed....Late to the party.

DC, followed by Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City