Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite City For Urban Living (BESIDES NYC)?
Chicago 63 26.81%
Boston 30 12.77%
Philadelphia 41 17.45%
Atlanta 12 5.11%
DC 21 8.94%
San Francisco 40 17.02%
Los Angeles 13 5.53%
Other (list in thread) 15 6.38%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 AM

339 posts, read 2,205,439 times

Advertisements

So here's my dream:

Live in a big city without a car, take public transportation/walk/bike almost everywhere, own a nice condo (maybe a penthouse if I get rich enough ), have plenty of opportunities for advancement (want to be an accountant, so job opps in that field would be ieal), and spend the weekend enjoying the diversity/culture within the city itself, and be in a city where the cost of living is reasonable.

Basically, I guess I'm craving the urban lifestyle through and through. I've lived in the suburbs all of my life and don't really enjoy it, so what are the best cities for urban living outside of NYC (because NYC will most likely win since it's so big)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,884 times
Depends on your budget..I loved San Fran when I visited. However, it's expensive as all get out, as are most of these on your list.

I was initially thinking "why is Atlanta on the list" since I'm a native Atlantan and adore it, but urbanity is certainly not what I think of when it comes to my city. However, I had to kind of retract that, since I'm a native suburban Atlantan, as are most of the people who question Atlanta's urbanity. I'm sure living within city limits is an entirely different experience.

Needless to say, Atlanta is probably last on this list because of its relatively low density and lack of an extensive (though it does the job adequately enough) public transportation system. LA is busy and lively, but not very urban according to your requirements. Its popularity is in its neighborhoods, and not the downtown "urban" area. It's much like Atlanta in this regard.

You can get similar experiences from all the rest. It would really depend on your preferences in terms of culture, diversity, and budget.

If you want an affordable lifestyle with those kind of amenities but less density, Atlanta would be great. Neighborhoods like VA Highlands, midtown, Candler Park, Inman Park, and scores more would have what you're looking for. Some of the prices for intown living are absolutely mind-blowing in the A. Like, being able to purchas a loft for 99k. You won't find that in any of the other cities above.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:30 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
So here's my dream:

Live in a big city without a car, take public transportation/walk/bike almost everywhere, own a nice condo (maybe a penthouse if I get rich enough ), have plenty of opportunities for advancement (want to be an accountant, so job opps in that field would be ieal), and spend the weekend enjoying the diversity/culture within the city itself, and be in a city where the cost of living is reasonable.

Basically, I guess I'm craving the urban lifestyle through and through. I've lived in the suburbs all of my life and don't really enjoy it, so what are the best cities for urban living outside of NYC (because NYC will most likely win since it's so big)?
I would say Chicago. There are many areas where a car is rather unnecessary, and I know many people who have had an easy time forgoing the luxury (myself included). The economy has been relatively kind to the city so jobs are doing OK, and there's lots of stuff to do. It's also on the low end of pricing compared to other happening US cities. If you were rich I would say NYC would be the place to be, but a dollar goes a lot further on almost everything around here, and you can afford the same lifestyle on a significantly smaller salary.

Philly and Boston are probably good options to consider as well. Boston is a neat city, smaller, and much of the economy is essentially recession-proof (education). Philly is a little smaller than Chicago, and from what I understand it's not doing as well economically as a whole, someone else feel free to clarify. I couldn't tell you offhand what the cost of living is like in these 2 cities.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,209 times
Hey.. you forgot about good ole Charlotte, NC.....

Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
take public transportation/walk/bike almost everywhere, own a nice condo (maybe a penthouse if I get rich enough ), have plenty of opportunities for advancement (want to be an accountant, so job opps in that field would be ieal), and spend the weekend enjoying the diversity/culture within the city itself, and be in a city where the cost of living is reasonable.
Chicago and Philadelphia meet all of your criteria including cost of living.

The others(not sure about Atlanta) are much more expensive.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:58 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,652 times
San Francisco is the best U.S. city for urban living outside of NYC.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 PM

315 posts, read 667,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Chicago and Philadelphia meet all of your criteria including cost of living.

The others(not sure about Atlanta) are much more expensive.
18Montclair, seeing as you are from Oakland, why would San Francisco not be
(I've never been to San Fran) as good for the OP as Chicago or Philadelphia?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:23 PM

457 posts, read 1,109,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
I am guessing it's due to the cost of living.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
I'm sure 18m is using COL as determinant given the posters needs, there is huge market for accountants in Chicago as well, plus he wants stuff mostly *in* city(i.e. no preference for nature/weather.)

Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM

457 posts, read 1,109,577 times
If you can stomach the winters, Chicago is probably the best all around choice. It is the closest to NYC in scale and has a better COL than the other (excluding Atl and maybe Phi).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City