Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What cities celebrate Halloween the best?
Boston,MA 8 8.60%
New York City,NY 16 17.20%
Orlando,FL 9 9.68%
Chicago,IL 8 8.60%
San Francisco,CA 11 11.83%
Seattle,WA 1 1.08%
Houston,TX 1 1.08%
Washington DC 4 4.30%
Detroit,MI 5 5.38%
other 30 32.26%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,488 times

Advertisements

Sheesh, how could you miss New Orleans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Salem was pretty awesome for Halloween!

Old 09-23-2009, 04:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I agree with you, Salem is really overhyped. 19 people thought to be "witches", were executed because of a couple of insecure young women were doing some sort of a drug and didn't like some servant so they lied about her being a witch. I don't see what's so "spooky" about that.

Ghosts? There have been plenty of other sites with far more fatalities far more recently than Salem..... I'd soonergo to a Civil War battlefield without the crowds or the costs if I wanted to be in a historic site of mass death....

The whole thing there is fake, not scary in the least, and over 300 years old. I'll take a well done haunted house or scare zone in Universal Studios or Busch Gardens in Orlando or Tampa where I will actually enjoy myself over Salem every Halloween.

Voodoo in Little Haiti is bound to be far more "spooky" than Salem.
I agree with some of your points but not all.

First of all, Orlando is fake, Salem is not. The events of Salem were real and they traumatized that city for 300 years. Salem only recently began capitalizing on the "spooky fun" of witchery". Up until recently the Salem Witch trials were not a tourist beacon, but were in fact considered a huge shame on the city that they didn't want to talk about any more than Berliners want to talk about their Nazi past.

Second, when 19 people are hanged by religious quacks in their government on false charges in a town of 1700 people, that's a big deal. That's one out of 100. And remember accusations, incarcerations, and torture included hundreds of people. If that happened in Salem today, we would be talking about 400 dead thousands jailed or tortured. An even scarier perhaps, the documented hysteria, that anyone in that town would buy into that, nevermind that many would.

And you say it happened 300 years ago so how could that be scary? Well I think just the fact that it happened 300 years ago and there is any discussion of it whatsoever today is testament to just how scary that apparently was and has been. personally I find Gallows Hill a little spooky - sorta like I would imagine the Tate mansion is.

Today Salem is largely about "spooky fun" for the whole family. But it is also a worldwide gathering point for those out there who believe they are witches - and to me, that is scary unto itself. I also would suggest that is one aspect of Halloween I'm sure the Salem PD is aware of and a little wary about - what kind of nuts come to town for Samhein.

My 2 cents.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:37 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default It is much the same as going to the Tower of London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I agree with some of your points but not all.

First of all, Orlando is fake, Salem is not. The events of Salem were real and they traumatized that city for 300 years. Salem only recently began capitalizing on the "spooky fun" of witchery". Up until recently the Salem Witch trials were not a tourist beacon, but were in fact considered a huge shame on the city that they didn't want to talk about any more than Berliners want to talk about their Nazi past.

Second, when 19 people are hanged by religious quacks in their government on false charges in a town of 1700 people, that's a big deal. That's one out of 100. And remember accusations, incarcerations, and torture included hundreds of people. If that happened in Salem today, we would be talking about 400 dead thousands jailed or tortured. An even scarier perhaps, the documented hysteria, that anyone in that town would buy into that, nevermind that many would.

And you say it happened 300 years ago so how could that be scary? Well I think just the fact that it happened 300 years ago and there is any discussion of it whatsoever today is testament to just how scary that apparently was and has been. personally I find Gallows Hill a little spooky - sorta like I would imagine the Tate mansion is.

Today Salem is largely about "spooky fun" for the whole family. But it is also a worldwide gathering point for those out there who believe they are witches - and to me, that is scary unto itself. I also would suggest that is one aspect of Halloween I'm sure the Salem PD is aware of and a little wary about - what kind of nuts come to town for Samhein.

My 2 cents.
Whitecastle (where my friend and I walked in middle of the night) where the Ripper murdered, etc., etc. Things where things really happened and leave their mark on the world even today.

If people cannot understand this and are looking for manufactured "horror", they are barking up the wrong tree.

People are a truly looking for the paranormal, will go to places where something REAL happened. You don't even have to go to placers like Salem or London. Every local area in the US will have a place where some "horror" happened and can possibly be haunted.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You'd be surprised. They do that here too despite it being around 60 degrees. It's their excuse to dress like a wh....
That's how the young women around here in Colorado dress, too, even though some years there is snow either falling or on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
From my experience, Pittsburgh was a good city for Halloween.
I second that! We were out there a couple years ago in late Oct. and every place was decorated to the hilt.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:15 AM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Atlanta's Gay Pride Festival falls on Halloween weekend this year. That should be interesting.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:51 AM

My daughter and her girlfriend are going to Boston with a side trip to Salem on Columbus Day Weekend. They wanted to go for Hallwoeen weekend but couldn't get off from work (retail).

SO wish I could go with them. I would love to go back to both places, especially this time of year. If nothing else, it a beautiful time of year to be in New England.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:05 AM

20 posts, read 35,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
NY throws a really great Halloween parade, so I voted for there. Any city in the north is the best, because you have that cool, crisp autumn feel to Halloween. A lot better than Halloween being 75-90 degrees.
New York and DC at Halloween are great to party in because the weather alone is truley fall.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:27 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,473,508 times
I've heard that Boston, Houston, and Seattle have pretty good Halloweens

Old 09-27-2009, 11:32 AM

Greenwich Village has had a Halloween parade for decades now. They used to show the Rocky Horror Picture Show at a local movie house around Halloween time every year. People would dress up in costume as characters from the show.

I believe the parade started as an outgrowth of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City