Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:33 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times

Advertisements

Many posters have been comparing different ethnic neighborhoods across the US and I thought that comparing Irish neighborhoods in terms of authenticity, bars/restaurants, shops, etc could be interesting.

When I think of cities with large Irish populations I think of Boston, NYC, Philly and Chicago. I'm not too sure if many cities outside the Northeast really have "Irish neighborhoods" per se but I am interested in finding out. I know Savannah has a sizable Irish population.

My two favorites are probably Dorchester in Boston, where some of my relatives from Ireland still live, and Woodlawn The Bronx, which is an awesome time if you've never been (About a dozen Irish pubs on only 5 short blocks). Here in Philly it seems the Irish population is spread all over the place but some of Philly's suburbs are on the top 10 list for towns with the highest proportion of Irish residents.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 04:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
Most Irish-Americans refer to their heritage only when bragging about how much they can drink or when they want a kiss. There's little authentic Irish culture in the US outside of your local GAA or something.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
San Francisco has a somewhat of an irish immigrant population. There's not an irish neighborhood per se, but the Sunset and Richmond district seem to be where you're most likely to find Irish immigrants (i'm guessing not many compared to your average east coast city though), and there are a few irish pubs and markets here and there around the city. I've seen several bar fights in the Sunset too, and at least a couple of them involved **** drunk Irish dudes. Gotta live up to that stereotype

Old 09-18-2009, 04:58 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
That is very untrue. I can't speak for the entire country but here in the Northeast, Irish culture is alive and well. Those that boast about drinking usually aren't even Irish. In Philly there are countless organizations dedicated to promoting Irish culture and helping recent Irish immigrants (and yes there still are many Irish immigrants). There are Irish dance schools, Irish music sessions, bars with satellite dishes to show Irish Football and Hurling, Irish football leagues, Irish County organizations, many Irish shops with food, drinks, trinkets, etc all imported from Ireland. I can go on and on

Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Spring Lake, NJ (Shore town)
51% Irish

Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,072 times
Boston Southie

Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
http://www.city-data.com/top2/h43.html

As that's the percentage of people born in Ireland some of those might have some Irish-Irish culture. Milton, Massachusetts is on that list. Some other cities might be on both too.

Last edited by Yac; 12-15-2020 at 03:08 AM..

Old 09-19-2009, 12:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
That is very untrue. I can't speak for the entire country but here in the Northeast, Irish culture is alive and well. Those that boast about drinking usually aren't even Irish. In Philly there are countless organizations dedicated to promoting Irish culture and helping recent Irish immigrants (and yes there still are many Irish immigrants). There are Irish dance schools, Irish music sessions, bars with satellite dishes to show Irish Football and Hurling, Irish football leagues, Irish County organizations, many Irish shops with food, drinks, trinkets, etc all imported from Ireland. I can go on and on
I'm from Massachusetts. You are absolutely correct.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:19 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,860 times
Syracuse is the only place in America where they have the green light on top (as opposed to the usual red light on top) at the traffic signal - at the corner of Tompkins and Milton. This is because the Irish kids would throw rocks at it during the 1920s, claiming that the red light represented the British. The city officials finally gave up constantly replacing the light and so installed a signal with the green light on top. Tipperary Hill (Google it!) -- a good old Irish 'hood. Syracuse also has one of the larger St Patrick's Day parades in the Northeast.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 AM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,408 times
Dogtown, St. Louis, Missouri. Has a huge, crazy, awesome St. Patrick's Day Parade and is an Irish ethnic enclave of St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City