Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Move to San Francisco or Las Vegas?
I'd move to San Francisco 50 54.35%
I'd move to Las Vegas 42 45.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM

106 posts, read 222,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I don't quite follow your tax conclusion. With respect to income tax I would expect you to pay around $12K in CA and about 8K in LV. In LV you pay only federal income tax. Your marginal rate in both places would be about 10%. There is sales tax in both places of about the same size.

I find the 5 days surprising. US standard after probation is two weeks. Many places extend it with longevity. I have never seen a single week of vacation other than as a new employee. I would ask more questions of the HR people.

The primary difference is cost of living. The difference between LV and SF is over 50%. The peninsula is likely 33%. Two cars in SF is impractical on that salary.
You are right!!! U have to remember that the rate of pay is many times higher than Las Vegas. For example, my newphew works at the Hilton Hotel in SF as a security guard. He makes $22 an hour with FREE MEDICAL BENEFITS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Armyjimb,

Yep, you just proved my point. I do not deliver pizza's for $8 an hour. Read up on my past posts before you make assumptions that are not true. I can afford my own place, but I would rather be smart and have an extra $550 a month, instead of living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
You are right!!! U have to remember that the rate of pay is many times higher than Las Vegas. For example, my newphew works at the Hilton Hotel in SF as a security guard. He makes $22 an hour with FREE MEDICAL BENEFITS.
Armyjimb, please do not insult our knowledge of the Bay Area, since I'm a transplant and lived there, I am pretty credible on what I'm talking about. But all these things you are saying make no sense? I've lived in San Jose, East Bay and San Fran and I know what it takes to live there. Its almost stupid to compare both places because people will have their choices and preferences (I don't care for the beach much, but to someone else it might be really a big deal). Its all up to the OP to decide and its up to us to post FACTS and help them gather their own info and opinions.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
NY Times cost of living calculator....Based on a salary of $70,000.

Quote:
The cost of living in San Francisco, CA is 74.7% higher than in Las Vegas, NV. Therefore, you would have to earn a salary of $122,285 to maintain your current standard of living.

Employers in San Francisco, CA typically pay 17.2% more than employers in Las Vegas, NV. Therefore, if you take the same type of job in the same type of company in San Francisco, CA you are likely to earn $82,074.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 PM

106 posts, read 222,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Armyjimb, please do not insult our knowledge of the Bay Area, since I'm a transplant and lived there, I am pretty credible on what I'm talking about. But all these things you are saying make no sense? I've lived in San Jose, East Bay and San Fran and I know what it takes to live there. Its almost stupid to compare both places because people will have their choices and preferences (I don't care for the beach much, but to someone else it might be really a big deal). Its all up to the OP to decide and its up to us to post FACTS and help them gather their own info and opinions.

When was the last time you were here. Things have changed!!! Walnut Creek for instance has one bedrooms starting at 1100 a month. If you want to go cheap, you can rent a 1 bedroom in Richmond (similar to North LV) for 850.00. One thing great about these areas, bart run through them.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:22 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
When was the last time you were here. Things have changed!!! Walnut Creek for instance has one bedrooms starting at 1100 a month. If you want to go cheap, you can rent a 1 bedroom in Richmond (similar to North LV) for 850.00. One thing great about these areas, bart run through them.
Haha...Walnut Creek OVER Las Vegas? LOL.

It's more like an hour outside of SF - I use to work out there briefly, took me forever to get back into SF - and I remember the traffic being horrible the other way (most lived vice-versa than me - I was living in SF).

BART also sucks - overpriced, and really only a commuter transportation, doesn't service SF very well at all. But I guess if you are way out in Walnut Creek, than you'd be one of the few that the BART actually makes sense and appears useful. Except, of course, if you're living in Walnut Creek, you'll have to have a car just to get to the BART - so any 'hey, I don't even need a car!' argument is lost already.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:02 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Property tax is based on an assessed value but that is generally a percentage of market value. Property taxes in NV and CA are generally 1% of the market value.
That's really not true in CA at all. Prop 13 caps the increase in assessed value to 2% annually, except when the home changes ownership. So actually the most recent sales price is closer to assessed value than market value. That is how you get these situations where you and your neighbor own homes that are worth about the same, but you pay 3x in property tax because you paid 3x for your home last year, while your neighbor bought 15 years ago. I pay about 1.25% in property tax for my home in Santa Clara County.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:16 AM

44 posts, read 177,185 times
With all of the money you'll save living in Las Vegas... take it and visit San Francisco, or San Diego, LA, Phoenix, Southern Cal, etc, etc... when you have time off from work and want to enjoy what the above places offer.

You can buy a nicer house for far less in Las Vegas.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:12 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
Quote:
I was just there in July, and you cannot compare richmond to NLV? There are cheap places in the bay area, but they are not very good neighborhoods. You still do not make any sense because the original poster was talking about Mt. View and not living in Richmond.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
That's really not true in CA at all. Prop 13 caps the increase in assessed value to 2% annually, except when the home changes ownership. So actually the most recent sales price is closer to assessed value than market value. That is how you get these situations where you and your neighbor own homes that are worth about the same, but you pay 3x in property tax because you paid 3x for your home last year, while your neighbor bought 15 years ago. I pay about 1.25% in property tax for my home in Santa Clara County.
Nevada has a similar but different rule. YOu can also pay just over 1% in some locations. For the purpose of comparing taxes to other States the 1% rule is probably a good start. If you buy a home in CA I believe you will in fact reset the taxes to about 1% of the market value. That is not true in NV...the tax does not change on a resale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City