Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times

Advertisements

I have driven in the Chicago area for such a long time I really don't notice the "craziness". When I have driven to Indiana and Iowa the drivers get slower and people drive slow in the fast lane and don't move over! Driving in Colorado was nice, very courteous and everyone seems to respect everyone. Then when I drove south to NM I realized how overly cautious every one was, especially when it rained(for ten minutes). I remember when there was even warning of snow they would shut down the highway, so weird lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 01:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
I've only driven around the southeast (and up to central Illinois) and I can safely say that Tennessee drivers are the worst. Slow, plodding, won't move, big left lane cruisers. The only area in TN that is an exception is downtown Nashville.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 AM

118 posts, read 185,449 times
Charlotte, NC Tops the list for the most horrible drivers. Everyone from the 10 ten worst states in the country have moved here. You deal with all of the negative driving patterns from where they have moved from. We are moving because of the over population and horrible driving. Only moved here because of the warmer weather but its not worth it IMO to deal with the decrease in quality of living. I am always on the defensive here. There is one thing to be a fast new york driver but IMO they are skilled. I feel like there is a huge lack of skill here. There is an old saying called "carolina stops" where the locals stop at yield signs and stop on highway entrances because they fear the merge.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 AM

118 posts, read 185,449 times
I've found the drivers up in NH Maine, Vermont, to be slow cautious drivers. And this is coming from a cruise set at 65-70 driver. I felt like Mario Andretti up there. It was actually rather scary I was thinking "What is this a moose breeding zone or something? Do they know something I don't?" I swear I was only overtaken 4 times during my week up there.

***They are HUGE ticket states and the reason why people go slow. Chances of being pulled over in the small towns is pretty high.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:35 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Ha, I am enjoying the stereotypes so here my take on the worst (East Coast Only)

VA drivers are unskilled but not especially obnoxious, DC are bad and aggressive and DC (295) is a seriously competitive road to drive but it is very short, Maryland - I see them like VA, NJ and FL drivers are my least favorites but for different reasons - NJ drivers (who are on road trips) will speed up and pass you then slow down then when you pass them they will pass you again - repeat pattern - I have played this game for hours on I95 - they will flip you off or drive their SUV/Minivan vacation wagon at breakneck speed just to try to compete with you on the road. FL just has a very high concentration of people that perhaps should not be on the highway. I used to go there for business quite often and on several occasions I was hit while parked or just standing still.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:06 PM

366 posts, read 494,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Fast drivers are great. Reckless is bad.
I prefer NO drivers and an open road. I don't care for fast drivers because they seem to have something to prove instead of just getting from point A to point B. Like, look at me, I'm pushing on my pedal REAL HAAARD!

*twirls finger*

Old 07-21-2015, 12:46 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,078 times
Ohio has had non stop road construction for years and I75 north is always backed up for miles. The states who have the worst drivers are usually the ones who are called no fault states which mean everyone is responsible for their own vehicles when in accidents.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:33 PM

408 posts, read 259,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Fast drivers are great. Reckless is bad.
Yep, that is what reckless drivers usually say

Old 08-29-2019, 08:38 PM

927 posts, read 759,455 times
Salt Lake City are the worst drivers. So used to little traffic. Are not safe drivers at all. Drunks stoners

Old 08-30-2019, 08:45 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
"Good" drivers is highly subjective.

In some states, that means never exceeding the speed limit (even to the point of holding up flow and mobility), and never crossing a line as though that will bring about the earth's destruction.

In other locations, a "good" driver means expediting flow and mobility (even if exceeding posted limits), and sometimes going around much slower drivers.

One is about following rules and being submissive. The other understands that flexibility and latitude are needed at times, to help keep people moving. More time on the road equals more time lost to something else productive, and more gas consumed.

But again, there is no right or wrong "good" driver; not one definition for all. It's defined by the culture and attitudes of the locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City