Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:25 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
hell he aint touchin Luda
Luda can't make a good album though. He's good for 16 bars, not an album.
Reggie's first 3 albums are bangers.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:27 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
That gang crap is dying in NY, when I first entered High School (in 2006) there were Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings, and MS13 all under one roof, there were fights everyday, police always up in the school, metal detectors, people getting there face busted open, etc. It was a rowdy school. I was cool with the Crips but I lived in a mostly Blood hood lol. I still live in the hood and go to the same school but I haven't seen a whole set of gangbangers in a while, its becoming more and more rare to even see gang members, there's still a crime problem but its good to have fewer and fewer gangs. Parts of Harlem and parts of Brooklyn are getting way safer and are very appealing to "white people" too.

I know this is off topic but I just had to clear it up.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM

The Bronx & Harlem

What You Want - Quintescence & Murda Mook

YouTube - Quintescence feat Murda Mook What you want

Old 10-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Philly

Hedonis Da Amazon freestyle

YouTube - Hedonis da Amazon and Kay Slay at Shade 45

She's one of my favorite NYC/Jersey/Philly artists.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:42 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,622 times
[quote=eek;11003780][quote=youngMichaelJackson;11003523]
Quote:
grab a handful of nyc albums (or mp3's).
cormega's production is not the standard. lol @ that.
Onca again never said he was the standard, when I thought of a typical sounding NYC album, he came to mind first so I put his name in there

Quote:
nyc albums sound nothing like that. nyc albums have been handled by a variety of producers for a long, long time.
its also common knowledge that nas has boring production for the most part, as well. this is (one of the reasons) why he's not as mainstream as other artists even within ny.
And you probably can tell the difference, but to someone not from the region Cormega's productions sounds just like everybody else from up there. If they even are up on Cormega, most are not up on him outside the tri-state. I just know of him because personally I was a fan of his first album "the realness"

Quote:
i know where kanye and swizz are from. i used them for a reason. reread what i said. nyc has always been held down by producers from various regions with various backgrounds. i've already said that as well.
And thats because you all put more effort into your flows than the beats, beats alone are the reason the south is hot right now. People realized that music is entertainment and just want to have fun.....The argument that lyrics that are deep and clerverly delivered is tired as well. If yall cats really wanted some thought provoking stimuli, you would go to the library and read a book

Quote:
it doesn't matter how long gangs have been in existance. ny has always had gangs as well...just not crips and bloods.
ny has always had ppl that repped certain blocks/hoods/etc. now they have a bandana along with it and a new name. it hasn't really changed much.
Very true, and other cities have been and still do have block crews and hood crews. Ive been all over this country and I have yet to be in a city with a sizeable black population where I didn't see the dudes in the hood with "3 letter gangs" or block crews. But what you dont see anywhere else but NYC and New Jersey is dudes repping a hood in a totally different state. Dont act like those dudes in East New York near the Pink Houses dont claim Rollin 60 Crips (which stands for Crips from the streets 61st St. - 69th Street in LA, not NYC) or the cats in the Bronx (forgot exactly what neighborhood) who claim Fruit Town Piru's(a gang named for a section in Compton where the streets are named after fruits) At least the fake bloods here in the A make up there own name, or use the real name of their area in addition to claiming bloods

Quote:
nyc (as well as cali) popularized all that stuff. europeans and the japanese are the blueprint, nyc "copies it/makes it its own" and others take from it.
streetwear (what you're referring to) as we know it is very nyc/tokyo/london.
Yeah thats why hipsters in DC were rocking the skinny jean look back in the late 90's and early 00's while you all were still wearing oversized fitted hats and 4X tall tees.

Quote:
seeing white ppl means nothing. white ppl have always lived in both areas. granted, there are different types now (gentrification is a beast). your average joe has not traveled to nyc but has heard from a friend that has heard that x place is not the place to be in broad daylight, let alone after 10.
Well Im not the average joe, I have family all up and down the east coast and I go see my cousins in East New York at least once a year

Quote:
also, i remember seeing (on tv) where 8 ppl got shot in harlem during a basketball game...they interviewed a terrified white lady. it is what it is.
there are armenian areas of the bronx i wouldn't be caught in.
People get shot everyday in every inner city across the country, NYC being so big that in of itself shouldnt be a big deal. While sad its not a big deal here in my city which isnt even 1/4 the size of yours

Old 10-01-2009, 01:47 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Yeah thats why hipsters in DC were rocking the skinny jean look back in the late 90's and early 00's while you all were still wearing oversized fitted hats and 4X tall tees.
some ppl were, some ppl weren't.
but thats why hipsters in DC were rocking Supreme and Bape and trying to cop the latest dunk sb collab, too, right?? and why ppl fiend for Uniqlo denim/khakis...or house of hoops exclusives...
what about the ESPO release in 03? the supreme releases? the pigeon dunk releases?

nyc has streetwear on lock period. if anything the retro look is a play on how we dressed in the early 90's and back.

thats why ppl in the south in 2009 still rock girbaud and 4x tall tees.

*edit*
who in streetwear doeesn't know:

futura
haze
supreme
uniqlo (see bape)
bape (out of japan but the flagship in the u.s. is in nyc)
kaws out of jersey (who va, the clipse are currently collaborating with)
neckface (EH)
JA (kony as far as throwups, IMHO)
ecko (since we're talking about the 90's streetwear)
etc. are?? all popularized in NYC.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
some ppl were, some ppl weren't.
but thats why hipsters in DC were rocking Supreme and Bape and trying to cop the latest dunk sb collab, too, right??

thats why ppl in the south in 2009 still rock girbaud and 4x tall tees.

LOL....not in my city. I rock APC's, Nudies, H&M sweaters, Polo and retro Nike's homie, along with allot of the people I know and see. Actually the only city that I have seen dudes still rock Girbauds is Chicago.. I saw a bunch of Black P Stone dudes up there with the black Girbauds with the red straps the year before last when I went up there for the Taste.

Oh yeah and all those brands you listed are played out except for Uniqlo.....

APC
Nudie
Ralph Lauren
Edwin Sewn
H&M
Express
Levi's
Dior Homme
Armani Exchange
Naked & Famous
Black Scale
The Hundreds
among others....................

Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM

366 posts, read 596,214 times
I'm from Seattle... at least we've got Sir Mix-A-Lot who is pretty good for coming out of a lily-white city. Unfortunately he's only mostly known for his one big hit, which is a shame as his earlier stuff is good. If you like your rap tailor-made for suburban white kids, we have Blue Scholars who seem popular among that crowd.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
I'm from Seattle... at least we've got Sir Mix-A-Lot

YouTube - Sir Mix-A-Lot - Posse On Broadway [HD]

Old 10-01-2009, 01:56 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
LOL....not in my city. I rock APC's, Nudies, H&M sweaters, Polo and retro Nike's homie, along with allot of the people I know and see. Actually the only city that I have seen dudes still rock Girbauds is Chicago.. I saw a bunch of Black P Stone dudes up there with the black Girbauds with the red straps the year before last when I went up there for the Taste.
nyc is known for h and m, uniqlo, supreme, blue in green soho (where we have samurai, studio d'artisan, etc.), atmos, dqm, bape, niketown, etc.

nice style, tho.

dc style is pretty unique and nothing like anywhere else in the south IMHO, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City