Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,784,659 times

Advertisements

Oh, and BINK from Hampton Roads area as well...his catalog is amazing..probably the best producer from VA.....much better than Neptunes, Danja, Timbaland, or any of the other guys (in my opinion) but he doesn't get as much recognition..

Old 10-01-2009, 10:37 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
this is embarrassing.

rakim
ll cool j
run dmc
krs one
rza
gza
odb
inspectah deck
u god
ghostface killa
method man
masta killa
cappadonna
cam'ron
jay z
nas
big
you could even say pac since he was born in ny, iirc.
fabolous
jadakiss
styles p
sheek louch
50 cent
lloyd banks
fat boys
tribe called quest
busta rhymes
dmx
big pun
mc lyte
public enemy
beastie boys
matter fact, the home of def jam. the home of rocafella records. the home of bad boy.
mase
mobb deep
mary j blige (queen of hip hop)
latifah
salt n peppa

the home of graffiti, the home of djing, bboys, hell, the home of style...
etc. etc.

who had more hits in hip hop than ny? oh ok.
i mean come on...we had radio from 79-2003 before the south took it over. even our B TEAM takes this thread.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
this is embarrassing.

i mean come on...we had radio from 79-2003 before the south took it over. even our B TEAM takes this thread.

Now while I did erase that list because it was long and full of greats.......Who from that list was not around in the 90's? And how many people on that list are new artists?? If we are having a debate over historical catalogs over time then yeah NYC wins by a long shot. But that boom-bap style NYC rap has gotten stale, so stale in fact that new rap artists who are not even from the south are using southern accents and slang in their songs(Maino, Drake just to name a few).

Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Quote:
this is embarrassing.

rakim
ll cool j
run dmc
krs one
rza
gza
odb
inspectah deck
u god
ghostface killa
method man
masta killa
cappadonna
cam'ron
jay z
nas
big
fabolous
jadakiss
styles p
sheek louch
50 cent
lloyd banks
fat boys
tribe called quest
busta rhymes
dmx
big pun
mc lyte
public enemy
beastie boys
matter fact, the home of def jam. the home of rocafella records. the home of bad boy.
mase
mobb deep
latifah
salt n peppa

etc. etc.

yeah yeah we all know NY is the home of HIP HOP, this isn't a battle per se....so move along

Old 10-01-2009, 10:44 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
this is embarrassing.

rakim
ll cool j
run dmc
krs one
rza
gza
odb
inspectah deck
u god
ghostface killa
method man
masta killa
cappadonna
cam'ron
jay z
nas
big
fabolous
jadakiss
styles p
sheek louch
50 cent
lloyd banks
fat boys
tribe called quest
busta rhymes
dmx
big pun
mc lyte
public enemy
beastie boys
mase
mobb deep
latifah
salt n peppa

etc. etc.

I'm sorry but down south...NY music (rap) fell off around 95-96. I can remember listening to Outkast, UGK, Kilo Ali and several others. The only person I heard from NY was P. Diddy and he was re-making everyone's old school classics....

Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
I'm sorry but down south...NY music (rap) fell off around 95-96. I can remember listening to Outkast, UGK, Kilo Ali and several others. The only person I heard from NY was P. Diddy and he was re-making everyone's old school classics....
This is true I remember being in Little Rock around this time and they were playing nothing but 8ball and MJG, Outkast, Willie D, Scarface, etc

Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Yo yall played Kilo in Houston? I didnt know anyone outside of the A was up on him like that

Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
This is true I remember being in Little Rock around this time and they were playing nothing but 8ball and MJG, Outkast, Willie D, Scarface, etc

WHAT!!?!?!? 8 Ball & MJG's Comin Out Hard was like the soundtrack to my early childhood (along with NWA and Eazy E, and the Gheto Boys). Also you cant forget about 3-6 Mafia, they were getting hot in Atlanta around like '96 and they pretty much held it down for a while until No Limit and Cash Money got hot.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
WHAT!!?!?!? 8 Ball & MJG's Comin Out Hard was like the soundtrack to my early childhood (along with NWA and Eazy E, and the Gheto Boys).
I thought Michael Jackson was?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,785 times
Quote:
Whaat? Whatchu know bout Kilo, lol?! I thought only tried and tru ATLiens knew about that dude. I know folks from Savannah who never even heard of him.

He was one of my all-timve faves growin' up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City